The DLG flying thread

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
IMG_20160503_195913100s.jpg

Ok folks, time for a DLG thread on generalized flying.

I'll start us off. First up is my Bug DLG, the very first DLG I ever owned. It's still going strong, albeit with a new, improved fuselage of my own design. Flies very nicely, durable, forgiving, and CHEAP. It was an easy build. It does need the pod to be glassed, as do most balsa DLG's.

IMG_20160511_212745000_HDRs.jpg

Some video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONW76RrQTu0

Next up is a DLG as God meant them to be--no radio! This is based off Buxton's record setting Amalgam. It flies pretty nicely, but is a bit on the heavy side. I want to build another soon with bagged wings. Lighter, stronger, just plain better!

IMG_20160524_200350532s.jpg

Some video of me flying it last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi2vvJ1sZK8&feature=youtu.be

Know1

On a general note... approximately where should the CG be on a 600mm (23in) DLG? Or better yet, how do I know where I should put the CG when scratch building, is there an equation/fraction or something? BTW, I'm wanting to build a micro DLG from old park zone, ultra micro electronics.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

Run the calculator to estimate a good starting point, glide test until she's trimmed happy (light toss moving up to medium Javolin throw), then work your way up in power, adjusting CG to get the behavior you desire. Lean the CG slightly nose-heavy for easier control, lean back toward neutral for cleaner more efficient flight. Better to start a little nose heavy, then work your way back as you get more familiar with your new bird.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
If you're lazy like me, you set the CG around 50% of mean chord and go from there. I do the same flight testing method as Dan, but over tall grass to account for any stupid on my part or the plane's. Tweak the elevator trim for a flat, hands off glide, then start tossing harder. If the model pitches up sharply, add down trim and move the CG back until the glide trim is correct. Conversely, if it goes flat, add up trim and move CG forward to retrim the glide. Keep reiterating until the model launches and glides hands off. The only intervention you should need is to nose over into the glide. If you have a transmitter with mixes, you can mix in rudder trim so that it doesn't yaw off on launch. Otherwise, expect to have some rudder trim requiring continuous rudder pressure in the glide so that you'll have enough opposite trim to keep it straight in the launch. Typically this is not enough offset to make the glide labor intensive. If it is, your vertical stab is too small. Also, strive for a launch that allows you to throw about 20 degrees nose up and has the model pitch up just enough to be pointing straight up as it runs out of speed.

jipp

DLG sure looks like a fun part of the hobby. as i live in the desert no shortage of thermals here.
the big birds of pray love to just play in them for hours.

i have a bad leg so i can not do a disc throw or id end up in the hospital for a emergency operation.

i do think ill just go the other way and add a motor, and the true glider guys will call me names for doing such but i just can not physically disc throw one.

and i doubt a over hand throw could get you up high enough.

sure is cool to watch a good DLG throw and how the plane just screams strait up then levels out then dives down a bit then if ya lucky finds a thermal.

chris.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Chris, no name calling for motorgliders. They're fun to...I have several. If you don't have one already, I'd recommend starting with the Radian. Then you can work your way on to the more high performance types.

jipp

hi, thanks.. no i do not have one.. im just getting into planes.. started with quads.

i have been looking at some videos and i think i found something that will work and i can do a side launch.

the Alula.
http://www.dream-flight.com/products/alula-trek

i have lots to learn.. so just reading learning as i go.

wont give up my quads flying and building is fun.. ( have built one rubber band balsa plane and really enjoyed that so im gonna build 2 more and try to convert to electric etc. bought 3 kits new old stock from the 60s/70s for 10.00 at that price i could not say no, not knowing at the time i would do with them.. but now i do. :) but i am spreading my wings :)

chris,

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Chris,

If you think you can throw that, you might look at something a little more effective. My impression of Dreamflight's models is that they are entry level at best for discus launching, but they are pretty good slope soarers. If you're looking for an entry level dlg, you may very well find a full house DLG to not be nearly as difficult to throw as you've perceived. I'd highly recommend pinging the guys in the hand launch board over on rcgroups and see if there are any in your area. You can go see them fly in person and get some impressions of what's available. I know the Strike 2 is getting a bit of a following, and it doesn't require a full discus launch. You might find you like that type of model. It'll fly rings around the Alula, but it is a pricer airplane. Also look at the Elf from Kennedy Composites. It's a very easy flying model that also only needs a side arm launch (SAL). Cheaper than the Strike 2, easier to set up, and it floats like crazy. Just doesn't have flapperons and all that fancy stuff.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
This is good stuff Joshua! So looking forward to hanging out in Ohio!

Mike, I can't wait. That reminds me that I need to mold a new nose sheath for the Taboo. And probably new tail surfaces...

I do think you're in for a treat.

jim_buxton

Have we determined if there will be a specific DLG area at FTFF? I need something to motivate me to build a new 40" DLG. Josh, how about a 40" DLG scratchbuild contest?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Jim,

The question is formally being asked . . . we'll see, hopefully soon and hopefully yes.

There's going to be a few nicer ships at FTFF (I know I'm bringing the FrankEncore and Josh is bringing his Neos and Taboo) and probably a gaggle or two's worth of Whipits, Elfs, Allulas and HK DLGs will be around. Would be nice to have a patch off the flight pattern that we can get into the field with a touch of room to launch, but we'll have to see.

abieex

Mentor
Lets hope for a designated area to fly in. Last year a friend and myself put our Elfs up and put them back in the case pretty quickly. Carbon and film are no match for a screaming foamy! I really want to fly it again this year and take advantage of those that can really trim and fly them but it isn't a cheap model and a mid-air would pretty well trash it. My foamies, well, open season on them!!!

jim_buxton

Cool, I have an Apogee Sport, Gambler AGX, and a Blaster 2.5 to bring among other home brew options. Would love to see an area for them.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Ok, this is going to be totally awesome. Guys, prepare to be humbled--Jim is one of the greatest glider fliers who has ever lived. He holds the Cat IV indoor hand launch record and I *FINALLY* am going to get to fly with him.

I think that given the number of folks who will be present with DLG's, we should be able to take over a small area and fly safely. I do think that for next year there needs to be a specific area though--it's starting to become a significant element of the FT community and needs the requisite support.

Jim, I wish I could join in on a DLG building contest, but I've got so much work facing me with J&H Aerospace orders and prepping for the Nats that it probably won't happen until August or so. I will have a 31" FF DLG with me at Flite Fest, though, so if you bring something along the same lines we should be able to have some with that little aspect. ;) I hope to also have a 25" indoor DLG...cores and skins are sitting on my desk waiting for mylars and then off to the bags they go. Should be a pretty quick build, and who knows, it might work ok in the evenings at Flite Fest.

jim_buxton

Humbled, not sure about that. There are plenty of quality DLG fliers out there.
I hope the weather cooperates. If so can we fly RDT DLG in the evening at FF? I will bring my Fusions. I have been hoping to convert one of my 40" FF models to RC, and one of my indoor Amalgams as well. As it stands now I am busy building foam dinner plate rubber powered models :)

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Looks like there's going to be some fun stuff at FTFF. As mentioned here and there I'll have a 30" FF DLG plus an indoor one (if I ever get the wings bagged).

On a slightly different note, this little rascal popped up recently (scroll down to post #12) as a pretty cool low budget DLG build: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20663.0;topicseen
Performance looks to be quite good. From the video he posted, it has a wide speed envelope-very good acceleration.

jipp

Looks like there's going to be some fun stuff at FTFF. As mentioned here and there I'll have a 30" FF DLG plus an indoor one (if I ever get the wings bagged).

On a slightly different note, this little rascal popped up recently (scroll down to post #12) as a pretty cool low budget DLG build: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20663.0;topicseen
Performance looks to be quite good. From the video he posted, it has a wide speed envelope-very good acceleration.

interesting i see people who are interested in gliders find the same resources.. i found that forum and signed up last week i think or maybe 2 weeks.. the rubber band rc gliders caught me interest since i have built a rubber band balsa kit..

i know before finding that forum i had no clue how complicated rubber band air planes could be.. but they sure do look fun to glide :D

and hard to beat that slow moving prop propelling the balsa/tissue into the sky in a hurry and then you just hope you get control before a thermal gets ya on some of them designs. lol
chris.