Trimming with covering film ?

GBJim

Can a low temp covering film, such as from Hobby King, be used to trim Flite Test paper covered foam ? I'm concerned about melting the foam ?

jim

BobK

Banned
I have been going to try this but I haven't yet. A better choice might be self adhesive trim sheets, or else find your local sign shop and ask for scrap vinyl pieces.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Absolutely! So long as your not leaving the iron in one spot for too long or pressing into the foam particularly hard, you'd be able to cover foam in whatever color you want. However, make sure that your glue will actually stick to the covering. Hot glue WILL NOT HOLD to plastic coverings like monocote or even packing tape. You'll need to cut away the covering where you want to glue to get a good hold strength.
Hope this helps, good luck.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
Yes and No.

I use regular laminating film via this method from crashtesthobby for DTFB.
Starting at the lower temp recommended then raising temps up for a more secure bond.
It goes on nicely but on the second pass at ~220 the whole surface turns to bubbles.
I suspect it is the moisture in the paper that does it.
The same thing does not happen with non-papered foam at those temps with that laminate.

Primeau

I have had preety nice results with Hangar 9 ultracote on FTs speed build kits thus far.

Attachments

• 20160117_0026571.jpg
    20160117_0026571.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6