Skinning airplanes with gift wrap

Foamforce

I like building planes but not painting then, so I have a bunch of plain white ones. I’ve used skins before and they’re great, but there aren’t many available.

I thought to try gift wrap as a cheap and cheerful skin. I thought it turned out pretty well! In my first attempt here, I went with some goofy looking Christmas gift wrap, but there are a lot of gift wraps that would be much more appropriate. Striped gift wrap would look pretty good on planes for example.

I tried applying it two ways. The first way was the normal way. I removed the paper from the foam, cut a piece of gift wrap a little larger than the part, and used 3m Super 77 to attach it. Then trimmed the excess. That worked well but the trimming takes a bit of time.

The second way involves my needle cutter. I figured I could eliminate the trimming step by applying the gift wrap to the entire sheet before cutting it. Now that I think about it, this would work for normal scratch building as well. The result wasn’t as good as the first way because it was difficult to get an entire sheet of gift wrap to cleanly attach to the foam without wrinkling it. I think I can do better though. If I taped the gift wrap flat to the table, printed side down, apply the Super 77, and then lay the foam on top of that, I think I can avoid the wrinkles.

Anyways, here’s the result. It’s certainly not plain. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3525.jpeg
    IMG_3525.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3522.jpeg
    IMG_3522.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I like building planes but not painting then, so I have a bunch of plain white ones. I’ve used skins before and they’re great, but there aren’t many available.

I thought to try gift wrap as a cheap and cheerful skin. I thought it turned out pretty well! In my first attempt here, I went with some goofy looking Christmas gift wrap, but there are a lot of gift wraps that would be much more appropriate. Striped gift wrap would look pretty good on planes for example.

I tried applying it two ways. The first way was the normal way. I removed the paper from the foam, cut a piece of gift wrap a little larger than the part, and used 3m Super 77 to attach it. Then trimmed the excess. That worked well but the trimming takes a bit of time.

The second way involves my needle cutter. I figured I could eliminate the trimming step by applying the gift wrap to the entire sheet before cutting it. Now that I think about it, this would work for normal scratch building as well. The result wasn’t as good as the first way because it was difficult to get an entire sheet of gift wrap to cleanly attach to the foam without wrinkling it. I think I can do better though. If I taped the gift wrap flat to the table, printed side down, apply the Super 77, and then lay the foam on top of that, I think I can avoid the wrinkles.

Anyways, here’s the result. It’s certainly not plain. 🙂
Great idea! It opens up all kinds of possibilities - rock posters, magazine pages, warning signs.....

Bricks

Master member
I have taken pictures from news print and watered down Elmers wood glue it works pretty well, just do not get it too wet to start. After it is stuck down and dry then I go over it again with a light coat of the same to make it water proof.

Foamforce

I have taken pictures from news print and watered down Elmers wood glue it works pretty well, just do not get it too wet to start. After it is stuck down and dry then I go over it again with a light coat of the same to make it water proof.

Hm, I might like to try the Elmer’s glue approach. The spray stuff is stinky, so I do it outside. Even then it’s stinky when it’s still wet. What are you spreading it with? Brush?

Piotrsko

Master member
Only issue I have is that wrapping paper is made from the cheapest semi recycled paper stock you can get. Rather inconsistent results.

Thinned white glue sprays pretty well with the cheapo harborfright HVLP spray gun I got fot $20

Bricks

Master member
Hm, I might like to try the Elmer’s glue approach. The spray stuff is stinky, so I do it outside. Even then it’s stinky when it’s still wet. What are you spreading it with? Brush?

Depends a little bit of every thing depends on how large of an area, from credit cards to a brush to a damp rag or light sprayer then wiped with a damp rag if too thick. Just do not want to get it to wet at any time expecially if using regular Elmers as it is water solulable. I prefer a water based wood glue that is water proof as it will not loosen the underlying work if putting on multiple layers. Sometimes once the original art work is applied I will cover it in clear packing tape.

dlewis74075

I like gift wrap. Cheap and easy to use. No picking at corners to remove backing.

Attachments

• 6879D505-0681-402A-B6EB-E265694CAD03.jpeg
    6879D505-0681-402A-B6EB-E265694CAD03.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E24F02D7-E5B5-4D7B-9183-E6A3E3291F62.jpeg
    E24F02D7-E5B5-4D7B-9183-E6A3E3291F62.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 9746830A-6F27-4FAD-8145-0B812E05C485.jpeg
    9746830A-6F27-4FAD-8145-0B812E05C485.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0