*Unofficial* FT Tutor

bisco

Elite member
great flying AM! thanks for the video. are you happy with it? i'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a sbk.

I took mine out for its first taxi test today. I put a servo in the floor to give it a steerable nose wheel. I was worried about all the slop in the assembly, but aside from pulling to the left, it stayed pretty stable. After some bending, I think it is ready to be airborne.
Tutor.png

Aslansmonkey

great flying AM! thanks for the video. are you happy with it? i'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a sbk.

Yes, I'm happy with it. Note I modified it when I made the second wing. I made the ailerons bigger and wired them as flaparons. This plane us kind if a "flaps trainer" for me. And is a new landing trainer, something I clearly need practice with.

It's not as fun to fly as my scout, however, which is still my most satisfying bird.

bisco

Elite member
Yes, I'm happy with it. Note I modified it when I made the second wing. I made the ailerons bigger and wired them as flaparons. This plane us kind if a "flaps trainer" for me. And is a new landing trainer, something I clearly need practice with.

It's not as fun to fly as my scout, however, which is still my most satisfying bird.
don't tease me bro! please tell me more about the scout. maybe i'm thinking of building the wrong plane.

bisco

Elite member
I took mine out for its first taxi test today. I put a servo in the floor to give it a steerable nose wheel. I was worried about all the slop in the assembly, but aside from pulling to the left, it stayed pretty stable. After some bending, I think it is ready to be airborne.
View attachment 215379
great build mike, can't wait to see her fly!

Aslansmonkey

don't tease me bro! please tell me more about the scout. maybe i'm thinking of building the wrong plane.

So first, sorry for the delay here. I had a lot going on today and this is the first chance I've had to get back.

Second, everyone's views are subjective on issues like these, so what I'm about to say is my opinion on these particular birds.

Third, my simple cubs were originally built three channel (no ailerons) and it was my original flight trainer. While I did eventually build an aileron enabled version, it wasn't really the plane I learned to fly on.

That honor belongs to the FT Simple Scout. For reference, I have flown three(ish) versions of the scout. Two versions of the Simple Scout (the original and my current altered one), several copies of the Mini Scout, and a 75% reduction of the Mini Scout that I put a 1705 motor in and flew three channel (ailerons, no rudder) on 2S batteries. These comments are specific to the Swappable sized "FT Simple Scout".

The simple scout could almost be the first plane you fly on. It's easy to fly. I say almost because if you don't set it up to fly gently at first, it has the capability to fly outside of a beginners envelope, so if you build one as a first plane, tame the controls throws. It has big ailerons and will flip quick if you're not careful. But it flies like a dream, in my opinion.

My original scout took a beating too. I repaired it more times that I'd like to admit to as, while I got the hang of FLYING fairly quick, getting it safely to the ground proved to be another matter. Also...securing batteries is a thing. Attached is my original scout (red) near the end of it's life. You can clearly see the battle scars in the photo. If there is any downside to the simple scout in it's original form it's that it uses a short "power pod" and placing the battery can be a challenge with the wing in that mid fuselage position.

But it's a beautiful flyer and is a plane that can easily move up to more aerobatic flying as your skills improve. I liked it so much, I made a second one, though I lowered the wing and removed the scalloped control edges to make my blue and yellow "cub scout" (named for the colors being close to the boys organization, not the other airplane we've been discussing).

The Simple Cub is a fine plane, but mine suffered mainly from being something I built earlier in my flying history when I was less experienced in the techniques. That said, being a high winged plane, it's just not going to fly as well as the scout. I'm not sure I'd even say its easier to fly, though theoretically it should be. I think maybe it's wings aren't as wide or something. In my opinion, it's just not as good or as interesting as the scout, especially when it comes to flying. And while it resembles a little the plane it's named for, it's not really what I'd call a scale build. Not a bad plane, but if I had to choose, I'd build the scout. I no longer have a cub, I still have the scout.

The Tutor, is superior in every way to the Simple Cub. It's a stronger frame and the ease of the build is about the same. Really, I don't think there's a reason to build the cub now that the Tutor is on the market unless you REALLY want a cub. I do not have much experience flying the Tutor yet, having really had one good maiden on it's second wing (I kind of screwed up the first wing), but I kind of feel from that flight that I still prefer the scout. But then this really isn't a far comparison as the planes have different flight characteristics and I built my tutor as a flaps trainer (it has oversized aileron's wired as flaperons). The attached photo is of it with it's first wing, which had separate flaps. The new wing (same paint scheme) flies better.

For funzies, here's an on board view of my "cub scout"....

Attachments

• Scout.jpg
    Scout.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • CubScout_1.jpg
    CubScout_1.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • CubMk2_3.jpg
    CubMk2_3.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Tutor.jpg
    Tutor.jpg