Vermont, New Hampshire Area

AeroMaestro

I used to live in Nashua, NH. In-laws still live in Dover.

This past summer I flew my quadcopter from the top of Mount Chocorua!
Sorry for the BAAAAAAAD jello. I'd trashed a motor earlier in the week and had to emergency order four new motors while I was on vacation and didn't have a way to balance them before the hike up the mountain. Also, winds were blowing at 30+ miles per hour up there!

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

Thank you! The one regret I have about moving from New England is leaving before I found FPV. There's so many places that I'd love to go fly up there. You just shared one of them. Chocorua was my fist mountain hike, and always a favorite to return to.

AeroMaestro

Chocorua was my fist mountain hike, and always a favorite to return to.

And it was a great place to fly! That first moment flying over the edge was what I'd always been hoping to get out of FPV. I actually shouted with joy.

(But it was a long hike with a heavy quad/batteries/transmitter strapped to my back.)

IMG_5544.jpg
IMG_5562.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I have tried to work up the nerve to fly off of a mountain. I did it some with my Bixler, but not yet with my quad. I think we need to start a thread or two. One to see if people can film in locations that others wish they could fly, and another just for flying off from mountains.

steveo

Sorry for the BAAAAAAAD jello. I'd trashed a motor earlier in the week and had to emergency order four new motors while I was on vacation and didn't have a way to balance them before the hike up the mountain. Also, winds were blowing at 30+ miles per hour up there!

That is awesome!! Thanks for sharing!
I hike the white mountains a lot, and always say to myself "man it would be great to toss one on my little planes off the edge with a camera". Like you said tough to hike it all up, plus weather conditions rarely cooperate.

I'm not experienced enough with a quad yet to attempt that.
:)

steveo

What's your favorite hike steveo? (not to take things off topic here, but...)

There are so many good ones hard to say.
I did really enjoy the Bonds last year. It was a 2 day hike and over 25 miles, but about the furthest you can get from a civilization in new england. Quite the experience.
Franconia ridge trail, and any of the presidential stretch is quite amazing as well.

Now that I'm over that 40 mark, sleeping on the ground sucks, considering going to hammocking this year (just isn't cheap).

Picture standing on the edge of Bond cliffs. LOOOOONG way down, would have been awesome to fly off the edge of that!
20140712_150512.jpg