ViDEO: Introduction to Control Line Flying

Shug

After some requests from my YouTube subscribers wondering how these planes work, I decided to do a Intro to Control Line Flying primer video. Fun to explain the fun I am having and my hope is that I can draw a few into the hobby or back into the hobby from times ago.
Maybe drag up some old memories for some of you.....
Shug

Last edited:
Can you guys imagine how much fun the world would be if there were more Shugs!! That's some seriously contagious enthusiasm. I love the plane balancing at the end of the first video!!

Last edited:

Shug

No NO No, I will NOT go back to my teens! :p

Thurmond
Yes....i feel like a 14 year old out there flying control line. A wrinkly old 14 year old.
CL is a challenge to do right. Especially the Stunt Pattern.

Shug

Can you guys imagine how much fun the world would be if there were more Shugs!! That's some seriously contagious enthusiasm. I love the plane balancing at the end of the first video!!
I do get a bit excited.))) Same with my FT Mustang and Spitfire. Though lately been focusing on the control line.
Thankee.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
How about a N.Y. Taxi with a "Jet" .60 engine? I have not found much about the engine on the net.
140714-07.JPG

Shug

Bi-Slob...crazy control line plane)))))

I was out Slobbin' last night. The 3D plane of control line. Sorta :D

OneFlightWonder

Wow. Ive been watching Shugs vids from Hammock forums a few years back. Nice to see hes a well rounded hobbiest too!

Great vids btw. My last experience with control line was in the early 90s with my dad. He was always at the controls but I was the kid who held the tail till he gave the word then I ran like hell!

Well today I went to visit him and work on his car for the day and as partial payment he gave me this!

20150313_012741.jpg

Now I just got back into the RC hobby after about 10 years, and we reminisced our father son time today, from estes rocktes, to our first RC plane a .40 Sturdy Birdy, the only thing hes kept up with is his .049 control line warbirds. not flying a whole lot but buying kits and parts here and there.

Well im going to do an unboxing video and a maiden video with my first control line! Cant wait!

MrClean

I uhhhhhh, well it's your choice but have you looked at what those things go for on ebay? It's a collectable thing. Now, I've got a PT-19 and I have flown it a couple times. But I got it because like many, it was my first CL model. Other then FF it was my first flying model and we flew it till we killed it dead. When I was in 1st grade. So it's a keep sake kinda thing for me.

The Corsair was not that great of a flyer, more scale then toy and not that scale really. It is a Corsair, if you squint a little. NO, it's a Corsair but not a great flyer and not indestructible and NOT a trainer. I'd love to have one in good condition hanging on the wall though just taking it out of the box would ruin the value.

Still, do with it what you will. To train I'd rather you get an Ebay tanked engine cheap. Replace any parts you need to by going to coxengines.ca and build a Manwin trainer out of an old yard sign and go try and break the unbreakable. You can build a launcher for the Manwin. Simply a folded up box of the same material with a couple of extra pieces of the material to space and trap the wing with a third piece to cover the whole thing. You fold the box so it has a good 20 degrees of up angle on the wing. The idea is you slide the wing into the box, run the engine up and then go out to the handle and drag the plane out of the box, then engine flys the plane away. You can play all day with a quart of fuel and probably never break a prop. OR build a Platter off of the Aeromaniacs site. These are tried and true trainer, fun planes that won't leave you heartbroken and holding a bunch of broken, irreplaceable plastic parts.
You're holding a piece of history there. Never will we go back to those days again. Hell, you give child protection agencies a heart attack or a big boner just suggesting a kid go play with a 12,000 rpm finger slicer nowadays. When Jim Walker was introducing the world to U-control, his Airplanes and his U-reely he would walk up to a group of Fathers and sons and dang few daughters, fire up his airplane and then release it and unroll the lines from his handle till he had a big flying circle. Everyone would back up while he did this and watch. When done, when he had his throttled versions, he would throttle it back and reel it in catching it. Now they'd throw you in a ditch and shoot you if you tried such a maniacal thing. Dylan said it, the world she is a changing. Too bad it's not always for the best. Now you'd be lucky to find a big group of parents and children that were interested in modeling. If you do however, theres a good chance there will be some girls in there now because the "Boy Thing Only " stigma is gone.

Last edited: