Warpquad Build Log

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I had my battery leave the frame mid flight yesterday too. The day before, I was flipping and the power cable flipped up into the rotors. Despite my having to learn these lessons the hard way, the copter don't care. Put the battery back on and get to flyin'.

I've had my battery come loose but still stay plugged in. It just dangled there like a pendulum :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Here is Warthox's Warpquad. Nice picture hey!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.13.52 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.13.52 am.png
    998 KB · Views: 26

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
And another...

Notice the KISS prototype ESC's being used. They're only 10mm wide!!!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.17.09 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.17.09 am.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
And finally, EArHog over at RCGroups decided to start collecting his broken Warpquad props. The collection is starting to grow!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.12.03 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 8.12.03 am.png
    630.6 KB · Views: 17

crlock

:( i want a mini quad now
i saw this one today,
the motors appear to be T-motor MT1306, no idea on the controller though, seems to be made by them. i wonder if with the naze32 i can put together something similar.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Tell me about it!!!

It won't make the budget for some months -- 4 power systems are pricy, not even counting a high price frame -- but the stack of projects keep pileing up . . . .

Trust me on this one, Dan. Building/flying a String Theory is not really a project. It is a spiritual experience. :)

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
And finally, EArHog over at RCGroups decided to start collecting his broken Warpquad props. The collection is starting to grow!

Dang, I thought I went through a lot of props! I've been meaning to gather them all up from the back of my truck and see how impressive the pile is...but after seeing that...I know it won't be impressive enough to share :D

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
No time to go into details but I'll leave you with a teaser of Soma's new fun machine. Think really over powered, insanely fast and stupidly agile arco frame with FPV. The true FPV racer is finally here folks! More details later.

BTW:...... this is the slow version :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 6.14.23 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 6.14.23 pm.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 36

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Right ho, here is video of Soma's new toy. He calls it the Z-Pod and it straps on top of the Warpquad. Combined with the MottoWii and the HQ 6x4.5 carbon blend props and you have a mini FPV racing quad that has a top speed of around 120kph and thrust to weight ratio of around 8 to 1! The 30 deg up tilt allows for a perfect view when running at speed. It does make hovering a little harder but this is just a concept design at the moment and there are plans to introduce the fatshark head tracking features into it soon.

Today we managed to fly it in a more open area so full throttle could actually be used unlike in the video below and what a wild ride it is!!!!
Hopefully there will be some footage of today uploaded soon.

https://vimeo.com/96810013

Cuzoe

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while. My real job has demanded that I work a lot lately... I'm now in search of a fake job, lol.

But I ordered my Warpquad a few weeks ago, which Soma shipped out immediately, took a little over a week to reach me, awesome.

Thought I'd share my slightly different take on the lemon-sat wiring, if FGA doesn't mind me posting pics in his build log thread. Just let me know on here or PM if so, new guy here, don't want to encroach.

But here goes, using Acro Naze with filed holes to fit the 30mm spacing on the warpquad.

I moved the pins on the lemon-sat to match everything else... red, black, yellow > power, ground, signal
IMG_20140601_125508.jpg

And a bottom view, low pro pins per Soma's videos, and not quite as low pro pins for batt monitor, buzzer, and FrSky Telemetry (not used on this little beast)
IMG_20140602_204052.jpg

And everything up to this point, only simple wiring left.
IMG_20140601_125859.jpg

Hopefully, northern Japan winds permitting, I get to fly it this weekend. Or maybe smuggle it into an aircraft hangar at work, lol.

Bonus pic, the other flying things I work on, not nearly the thrust to weight ratio of the Warpquad :p
IMG_20120719_173525.jpg

-Cuzoe

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Awesome looking build Cuzoe :). Feel free to post your pics and info on this thread. It's for the Warpquad after all. I'm sure Soma would love a pic of your Warpquad next to the F16 when it's done if you could ever manage it!

Nice clean build so far. I notice you have the telemetry pins installed. Do you have a Taranis to use with it? Also, next to the buzzer pins it looks like you have both the + and - for the "batt" installed. It doesn't really matter either way but you only need to install the + pin. All ground pins are common so the FC is already grounded. Like I said, its not a problem but just a thought in case you are trying to reduce the number of wires. Lastly, if you have a hot glue gun you'd want to use a dab of glue to hold down the antennas as they are quite fragile and put some glue around the 3.3v output wire to stop a fatigue break in the future.

Have you used the Naze 32 before? If you need any help just let me know. I can post my latest PID's too if needed.

Cuzoe

Thanks FGA. I do fly with a Taranis but won't be using the telemetry on this. I do plan on using an Acro Naze in a future build where I may want the telemetry. I don't intend to cross use FCs but the Naze is forever out of stock so if I can't get my hands on one in the future I figure having the pins there already won't hurt me on this one. Plus backing up and reloading settings is so easy on this board that using the FC for a weekend in another craft is almost trivial.

I wondered about the + and - for the batttery, I figured it was a common ground for everything and just a voltage divider for the batt alarm function. I only added an extra + lead from the wire loom anyway.

The antennas had some glue added by me, although it already had some on both sides of the sat (maybe a Lemon-rx response to customer input). My picture doesn't show it well but I also added clear heat shrink around the FC, cutting a hole for the 3pin connector so the antenna solder joints have a little more protection there as well. Good call on the glue on that 3.3v line, I had it in my mind to do at one point, then got side tracked with other parts of the build, as usual, lol.

I haven't used the Naze before although there are some thorough setup vids on youtube that I have been intensely studying. I've had it plugged and am getting comfortable (by that I mean not afraid to dabble around) with with baseflight and have used CLIs in the past. I would very much appreciate the PIDs you're using and will send any questions I have your way.

Edit: and the Warpquad might make a landing on the wing of the F16 at some point.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Thanks FGA. I do fly with a Taranis but won't be using the telemetry on this. I do plan on using an Acro Naze in a future build where I may want the telemetry. I don't intend to cross use FCs but the Naze is forever out of stock so if I can't get my hands on one in the future I figure having the pins there already won't hurt me on this one. Plus backing up and reloading settings is so easy on this board that using the FC for a weekend in another craft is almost trivial.

I wondered about the + and - for the batttery, I figured it was a common ground for everything and just a voltage divider for the batt alarm function. I only added an extra + lead from the wire loom anyway.

The antennas had some glue added by me, although it already had some on both sides of the sat (maybe a Lemon-rx response to customer input). My picture doesn't show it well but I also added clear heat shrink around the FC, cutting a hole for the 3pin connector so the antenna solder joints have a little more protection there as well. Good call on the glue on that 3.3v line, I had it in my mind to do at one point, then got side tracked with other parts of the build, as usual, lol.

I haven't used the Naze before although there are some thorough setup vids on youtube that I have been intensely studying. I've had it plugged and am getting comfortable (by that I mean not afraid to dabble around) with with baseflight and have used CLIs in the past. I would very much appreciate the PIDs you're using and will send any questions I have your way.

Edit: and the Warpquad might make a landing on the wing of the F16 at some point.

That would be a pretty good video to watch lol :).

I'll grab my latest PID's and post on here shortly. I didn't think Taranis was compatible with DSM2/DSMX or do you have a spektrum module for it? If you're running spektrum I'll list some features to enable in the CLI.

Cuzoe

Out of the box the Taranis doesn't play with DSM2/X, I'm running it with an OrangeRX JR module in the back for the warpquad. I need to transplant the module to another case though, this one has the antenna sticking straight the back. I have the rubber ducky with a 90deg but it's still in the way. I would like one that points up so the Taranis isn't resting on it when I set it down on a table, or less ideally I can buy those kick stand things for the radio. What I really need is for FrSky to have a satellite receiver. The D4R-II is pretty small and light (5ish grams) but nowhere near the tidiness of the lemon-sat on something like the Warpquad.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Here's my latest PID's for the Warpquad. I'm still fine tuning it but it is grounded until I get some more esc's which are coming on the slow boat from the USA. Make sure you set the Looptime to 2500 in the CLI other wise it will oscillate badly. I currently have in my transmitter expo set at 30% for elevator, 30% for aileron and -30% for rudder.

For your first flights I would suggest bringing the RC Rate on the reciever screen in Baseflight down to 1.00 and slowly raise it as you get used to it. With my setup the Warpquad will do almost two rolls a second.

Attachments

• WQ PID 1.3.JPG
    WQ PID 1.3.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 51
  • WQ PID 2.3.JPG
    WQ PID 2.3.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 37

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Here are some things to type into the CLI to setup your Warpquad using Spektrum gear

feature VBAT
This turns on the battery sensor

feature SERIALRX
This turns on the serial port so you can use the Spektrum satellite

set serialrx_type=1
This tells the Naze what type of rx it is

feature MOTOR_STOP

This stops the motors from spinning when armed (this is a personal choice)

feature FAILSAFE
This turns on your failsafe. You must set failsafe values in the CLI as well. Failsafe is very important on this as the satellite doesn't have a failsafe of it's own and the FC will hold last position otherwise if you loose signal. 3 seconds of full power and you'll never see this quad again. Make sure you check failsafe is working before you fly it.

map TAER1234
This tells the Naze what channels are what. Standard Spektrum is Throttle, Aileron, Elevator, Rudder on channnels 1, 2, 3 and 4.

set looptime = 2500
This sets the looptime from the default 3500 to 2500 which suits a small quad much better.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
It's time for Soma to build a CF spider mini-hex with arms long enough to handle 6" rotors and weighs < 100 grams. :)