Warpquad Build Log

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Well if I can borrow a Mobius I'll do one from the Warpquad as soon as I get it.

Speaking of movies, I'm just encoding one I took today although the computer is not playing ball right now. I'll post a link when it's done.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Here's another video for you. Apologies for the smears on the lens Dooh!

I was testing new PID's so the flight was a little slower than normal to test them before TPA kicked in. As you can hear I went a little high on the PID's :)

Oh and Cranial, you'll be happy to hear that since winter is here I had to change out of my shorts and into pants for this flight. It got below 20c! A little chilly...;)

Anyway, a little slower flying.

https://vimeo.com/94136403

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I just have your Vimeo page on couch mode. :)

The weather here has turned for the worse again through Sunday with wind speeds from 20mph to 60mph and maybe some sleet, hail or snow on Sunday.

Soon though, very soon, there will be green grass and calm days in Colorado. Soon.

Soma

Hey guys! Just catching up a bit online as I've been stoopidly busy lately!

Cranial, glad you're enjoying the 6x4.5's. I just love the way they fly. The empirical tests have been backed up by the bench testing now too. These props have had a small but dedicated following of people prepared to deal with the MANY shortcomings for their benefits. They are so quiet in steady flight too, that is one of the most satisfying aspects.

As FGA mentioned HQ Prop have their carbon / nylon 6x4.5's available now, with coloured Fibreglass reinforced versions to come soon. They have all the benefits and none of the shortcomings!

FGA, glad you're reaching the upper limits of the throttle band! Fun stuff hey!

Trigger, I had some onboard vids but they were even more sickening! I'll try do some more after another round of tuning going to MW2.3 :D

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I am watching Ready made RC for updates on the HQ 6045s and HQ 5045s, both out of stock. I already have some HQ 6030s I plan to try on the String Theory frame as another alternative to 2S for 'taming the beast'.

I had it backwards when I started my build. I miscalculated the impact the length of the rotors makes on flight characteristics other than thrust.

To make a good comparison, I needed to try the best first. All else will now be compared to WarpQuads 6045s.

Had I done so, when trying the 5030 GemFan rotors I would have responded much the way FGA did. :)

If I am right, the HQ 6030s will feel better than HQ 5045s because they will allow me to corner quickly using more of a bank and less throttle. I just need stock to test it and find out.

Because I also built the hex, I have a platform on which to break the 5" rotors too, so they won't go to waste. :)

Now all I have to do is make this set of 6045s last until Ready made has stock or wind dies down. :)

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
I was actually quite surpprised at how bad the Gemfan 5030's were on the Warpquad. Not only were they lacking power but they made the WQ twitchy and unstable too.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
I didn't find the copter twitchy and unstable but I tuned the Gemfan 5030s for the better part of a day to get them to run right.

I will have to retune the copter to fly the 6030s too. Going from the 6045s to the HQ 6030s gives me a slow wobble like my I gain is up too high. I will probably return to the 6045s instead of re-tuning at least until I frag the 6045s and only have the 6030s left with which to fly.

Mostly because with four black rotors on this little copter, I can't tell which end is which and I need to paint the 6030s and balance them for them to really work with my declining eyesight.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Today after work I strapped a GPS logger to the Warpquad and logged 110kph top speed with it. GPS may not be super accurate but I wanted to get a rough idea compared to the bench test speed calculations which it seems are not far off being only about 9kph out. I was interested to know how far out it would be considering you will never get the exact numbers plus drag also becomes an issue but I also started thinking that more potential speed would be had as the prop unloads in flight causing a higher rpm. Interesting findings anyway.

I also started playing with the regenerative braking/active freewheeling feature on BLHeli which looks to be very interesting for acro. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Awww STOP IT!!!! I know I need to build one . . . but 4?!?!?

BTW, does he have an 8" in the works? HQ's reversable props only come in 8's ATM. I'm thinking a 1200-1400kv pulling 150-200W should be nice with that . . . what kind of ideal weight do you have for your motors?

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Not sure if I already posted this but if the 230mm Warpquad is too small, how about a 270mm with 7" props?
https://vimeo.com/92550688

I had my battery leave the frame mid flight yesterday too. The day before, I was flipping and the power cable flipped up into the rotors. Despite my having to learn these lessons the hard way, the copter don't care. Put the battery back on and get to flyin'.

cranialrectosis

Mentor

BTW, does he have an 8" in the works? HQ's reversable props only come in 8's ATM. I'm thinking a 1200-1400kv pulling 150-200W should be nice with that . . . what kind of ideal weight do you have for your motors?

Jeeeez Dan. I see more money 'flying away'.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Tell me about it!!!

It won't make the budget for some months -- 4 power systems are pricy, not even counting a high price frame -- but the stack of projects keep pileing up . . . .

Last edited:

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels

:) They are very addictive aren't they....
Soma didn't originally have an 8" version planned but the 7" version worked so well that I think he has changed his mind. I will see him in a couple of hours and will ask but I think it is in the works although he has been busy with the above prototypes recently. He also has another which I will see today which is for a different form of flying and I'm really excited about it.

Those 3D props do look cool and it's on my wishlist for sure as well but my next build or two will be FPV and acro speed/power related so the 3D stuff will have to wait. Too many toys to play with!!!!

Not sure on motor weight for the other frames as I only have the 230mm frame which is built for the SS2204 or Cobra motors and they're 20 grams. The 270mm frame runs SK3 1900kv motors and 7" props and is trying them on 4s with good results but is still trying to find a favorite setup. He seems very active about talking to the prop and motor manufacturers so who knows what will be coming out. He is updating the website and making a dedicated thread for the Warpquad on RCGroups in the next couple of days. I will post a link soon so more info to come.