What's your flavor? Video editing software poll

What's your flavor?

• Total voters

lonewolf7717

Just curious as to what you guys are utilizing for video edits. Since there are a great many options on the market...too many for a simple poll, please expound in thread the specifics of the product you're using....and perhaps post your most challenging edit to date.....subject matter aside....looking for your best editing work.

William A

Billy did it....
Newby to the video editing stuff, but I like Gopro Studio mostly for it's ease of use. And ya can't beat the cost.

If only it would work with non gopro files.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
This was one of my first using heavy editing in Powerdirector. The footage came from my combat delta so it's a little twitchy in places...
It's still one of my favorites even though it has so many mistakes in it.

I might have to re-upload this one since it looks like youtube letterboxed it for me....that's not how it was rendered!:mad:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I don't have the best internet so I like to use Windows Movie Maker on my desktop (with Windows Vista) because I don't need the HD res. But I usually end up muting the video because my audio doesn't line up.

Other times I use Corel on my laptop (with Windows 7). I don't know what I have the my transitions set at, but I do know that if I use a transition, mute the video, and then drag the video into the narration/sound right at when the transition ends the audio will line up perfectly.

I kind of prefer Windows Movie Maker simply because I've been using it for longer. Either way I just use the dissolve transition after chopping up the clips. I don't do anything fancy.

lonewolf7717

This was one of my first using heavy editing in Powerdirector. The footage came from my combat delta so it's a little twitchy in places...
It's still one of my favorites even though it has so many mistakes in it.

I might have to re-upload this one since it looks like youtube letterboxed it for me....that's not how it was rendered!:mad:
Wow man, you are in "out there" Texas. Well done sir, I'm sure with all those complex transitions your CPU was working hard to render. I have gotten away from most transitions aside from a simple fade or two in recent edits. Waiting on a video to render is painful for me lol. Speaking of which, wish I better understood how to best set up a CPU for video editing, just feels like I am not utilizing computer to fullest potential.

lonewolf7717

Newby to the video editing stuff, but I like Gopro Studio mostly for it's ease of use. And ya can't beat the cost.

If only it would work with non gopro files.
Studio is growing on me as well. Quite frankly I'm amazed it's free. Btw I hadn't tried uploading non-gopro clips yet, so the fact it won't let you is good to know.

c172ae

Pro plane crasher
I prefer to use openshot on ubuntu. It isn't really a good program, but since it is running on ubuntu it can pretty much handle everything you throw at it.

Oh, and the best part: it's free!

Bolvon72

Mentor
c172ae, I use the same, somewhat limiting, but if you want to be a Penguinista you have to work a little harder. It does get the job done and simply puts video together.

lonewolf7717

Ok my interest has been piqued, either of you gentlemen have an openshot edited video? My curser is hovering over the download button as we speak.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Wow man, you are in "out there" Texas. Well done sir, I'm sure with all those complex transitions your CPU was working hard to render. I have gotten away from most transitions aside from a simple fade or two in recent edits. Waiting on a video to render is painful for me lol. Speaking of which, wish I better understood how to best set up a CPU for video editing, just feels like I am not utilizing computer to fullest potential.
All the funky transitions are one of the most blaring mistakes. In this particular video it sorta works because it's supposed to be frenetic, but it's not really what you want in a good video.

JasonEricAnderson

Lately I've been using iMovie on my iPhone 5. Crazy that I can shoot HD video, edit it, and upload it directly from this thing I keep in my pocket every day. But then I don't have any real in flight video to edit.

Bolvon72

Mentor
LOL awesome Spook 48 Maiden intro title...."Too Windy to Maiden Too Stupid to Care"

Heh, the "Too Stupid to care" sums up a lot of my best moments flying.

That is a typical title screen on Openshot, they give you a couple dozen templates to choose from, though I think you can download more. I don't worry about it that much, if I had a better camera or a better way of taping than the old hat cam I would worry about editing quality more. The good thing is I never have had a video format openshot wouldn't load and it exports to various web based formats with a drop down list (Flickr, youtube, etc.) It is pretty user friendly for the simplest of compilations.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Just started playing with iMovie and I have to wow it is nice!

Here is a little trailer I put together quickly for my Youtube channel. I like it anyway!

Tell me what you guys think!

lonewolf7717

Holy cheddar cheese batman! That was sweet! iMovie is a preloaded program on all Macs these days isn't it? (Excuse my PC biased ignorance) See it's those awesome animated CGI effects I wish I had with PowerDirector....instead I'm stuck with background consisting of cute puppies with hearts for eyeballs and random beach scenes with rainbow covered skies ( those with PD will know what I'm talking about). Should it just be set to stone now....Apple is the way to go for video editing? Very well done sir!