Yet another newb

3props

Hello, nice to cyber meet all you guys n gals. Im very new to the flying hobby. Im learning quickly that there is an entirely new learning curve. Without FT Im not so sure I would even be trying this. I have always wanted to fly RC planes. Back when I was 10 I saw a guy flying a rather large gas plane. I was hooked. I started saving my yard cutting money. When I came to visit my dad for the summer he took me to a hobby shop. What a disappointment. Way out of my price range and the hobby shop guy told me that I needed someone to teach me and that I was going to crash it. So I bought a used kyosho ultima race buggy and stayed on land RC for the next 30years.

Enter the new age of electronics. I had not even looked a planes since I was 10. Walked in a hobby shop a month ago and happen to glance at a one. 100bux NEW?!?!?!?! And it had 3 modes, beginner, intermediate, and all off. So I started looking closer at this plane. A guy walks by and says, "thats a great plane, I have one." So we strike up a conversation similar to what you have just read. Next thing I know Im buying his slightly used ares decathlon 350. 55bux rtf. I take it out to a very large area and boom! Im flying! I have been flying here n there ever since. FT videos on youtube really helped me to learn the basics and get off the ground.

Enter my lack of ability. I have crashed...... a few times........ hince my user name (3props)..... I broke 3 in less than 15minutes today. LOL All n all Im still having a blast flying. But, ( there always is one) I think the decathlon is showing some signs of abuse. She now wags (yaw) a bit at high speed. It has also gotten so that it will loose a fair bit of altitude when turning. The nose has wrinkles from a hard nose in landing. The wing doesnt fit tight so its now a bit sloppy.

My question, Can I rob my electronics and build a scratch build? Id like to have something that "floats a lil more than this thing does. Its pretty fast and can get out of hand quick. It doesnt seem to like low speed flying at all. It has a ares 350 1450 kv motor, 30amp esc, and 4 servos. If I could keep the 3 modes that would be great. My 5yr old has flown it in beginner mode.

In closing, Thanks for taking time to read this! Have fun out there guys!

N4RF

Welcome to the fold (addiction). I'll let others respond specifically to your question regarding scratch building but hope you do push this on your kids. It's still legal and a ton of fund, including the building - crashing - and rebuilding. Finished a re-build today and re-maidened it. Damn if it didn't fly. You'll get the same feeling.

Welcome

welcome to the addiction

If you want slow flying self centering style plane then you want something that has a dihedral /poly dihedral wing. A wing that isn't flat bottom airfoil. A little bit of under camber will help it float more. You also want a top wing design. The lighter you build it the better it will float. The trade off is it will not be able to penetrate the wind as well and on gusty days the model will be uncontrollable. untitled.png

The model will only fly as well as you build it. I recommend if your still novice in the areas of Rc construction and build techniques that you start looking on the forums and go to flitetest channel on youtube. They have tons of great videos and tips on different aspects of building. If you build one and it just doesn't come out right or fly well don't get discouraged you can always build another.

If your RC you currently has Safe feature then it will transfer over to the new model and "in theory" still work the same as long as you setup all the throws properly. That's something you will have to lookup on how to program and setup the esc you are referring to. I am not sure what type of radio you are using but if you have a computer radio that will allow you to adjust your Hi rates/ low rates expo and end points on servo travel. You may have to recalibrate your esc once its mounted into the new model if its not exactly level with the air frame. You can do all of this mechanically as well its just easier to do it through the radio.

As far as your motor I'm not familiar with the setup or the airframe so I'm not sure what kind of thrust output or what the esc / motor is capable of doing. Usually the manufacturer will have a prop size recommendation for 2 cell and 3 cell and show a few different prop sizes and give you a thrust rating. a 350 size 1400kv if I'm in the right ball park id assume a 7x6 or 8x4 prop is what I can run on 3 cell but that's a total guess in the dark.

With that being said I would recommend the FT Old Fogey Build

If built right its like a Cadillac in the air its big / slow / cruises and pretty much flys itself. Probably wouldn't even need the safe in it

Hope this helps give you some insight

3props

Spudwrench! Man, You certainly gave me alot to think about. And boy did it work. I decided to put some work in on my plane. Really took my time and went through the whole thing. First, the firewall was in bad shape. the motor was able to wiggle around a bit. I added some hot glue and it now solid. Then I noticed the wing not fitting properly, it was wiggling side to side. I added some tape and got it nice n tight. WOW! It flies alot better. I removed the landing gear and went back to belly landing. WOW! It flies alot better. Thanks a ton for the advice and pointers. Im just gonna keep flying this one until Im comfortable w it with all the assistance off.