You can become a member of the FTCA!

Please note that the FT Simple Stick, along with other Starter Package perks are available to free members as well.

Please do not distribute or share your perks, it is part of the agreement you accepted as a member and a larger community will help everyone :)

Thank you!
Robert
I know.
That's the joke.

craigleach

Can you please provide a payment type that does not involve giving my credit card number? I will join in a heartbeat for the value I currently receive from Flite Test but I can't provide a CC #

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
It will take some time.
Step 1, get the club going
Step 2, get the FRIAs all over the place.

Get involved and help create FRIAs!

It will take some time.
Step 1, get the club going
Step 2, get the FRIAs all over the place.

Get involved and help create FRIAs!

Let me put this a different way - there is no current benefit for existing AMA clubs to drop and switch to being an FTCA FRIA. That may change in the future, but right now, that's one of the benefits of being an AMA member - the ability to fly at any of the AMA sites. FTCA doesn't have that network yet - and I'm cautious to say that they will have it at all.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Let me put this a different way - there is no current benefit for existing AMA clubs to drop and switch to being an FTCA FRIA. That may change in the future, but right now, that's one of the benefits of being an AMA member - the ability to fly at any of the AMA sites. FTCA doesn't have that network yet - and I'm cautious to say that they will have it at all.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

The AMA says they can't tell clubs what to do when it comes to new people showing up and being treated poorly.

It has also been said that the only reason you have to have AMA to fly at an AMA field/event is the insurance.

So could an AMA club allow a non AMA member to fly there, if FTCA began providing insurance? Would the AMA then step in and tell clubs how they should run things?

Not going to lie. A bit excited to see how things shape up.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'm curious to see how this plays out.

The AMA says they can't tell clubs what to do when it comes to new people showing up and being treated poorly.

It has also been said that the only reason you have to have AMA to fly at an AMA field/event is the insurance.

So could an AMA club allow a non AMA member to fly there, if FTCA began providing insurance? Would the AMA then step in and tell clubs how they should run things?

Not going to lie. A bit excited to see how things shape up.

Kinda wondering that as well. If that's the case, then FTCA would want to allow AMA members to fly at their fields without having to sign up for their insurance, since they're covered under the AMA insurance - but that's another can of worms.

Piotrsko

Master member
Im my experiences, no AMA wont, except for odd national contests that they have to allow the FAI participate because it's international. Back in the 70's you had to join on the event to participate.
Btw AMA 44581

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Kinda wondering that as well. If that's the case, then FTCA would want to allow AMA members to fly at their fields without having to sign up for their insurance, since they're covered under the AMA insurance - but that's another can of worms.

I think that would be ideal.

It's not about FTCA replacing AMA. The AMA at most has 200k members. When the FAA was doing registrations, I recall about 2 million registered pilots. Not aircraft, pilots.

So, that's only about 1.8 million people who fly some form of radio controlled aircraft, that are NOT signed up with the AMA. That's a pretty large pool of people for FTCA to try to bring at least some of them into the community.

FT has always been about being inclusive. There's no "us vs them" in this. The FT community is made up of people who are also AMA members. I can say with confidence, there's no interest in alienating them.

GrizWiz

Elite member
Amazing work @fliteadmin You fixed the problem of others taking advantage of your plans and are helping the hobby become a better and easier way to fly! I am going to get a membership soon and hope I hope we can all make a impact on the FAA. On your getting started page of the FTCA website it says all aircraft must be registered with the FAA. However if the aircraft is under 250 grams like your micro series planes they do not need to be registered. I would try and make this more clear as many beginners will be flying with the EZ pack of other small trainer aircraft!

Great Job and keep up the good work!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Im my experiences, no AMA wont, except for odd national contests that they have to allow the FAI participate because it's international. Back in the 70's you had to join on the event to participate.
Btw AMA 44581

I'm not sure that would be a good move for them. Admittedly, the AMA's strongest selling point was the pay to play model. And since AMA fields were pretty much the only game in town, if you wanted to fly, you had to join. The rise of park flyers and drones have really hurt them I think. If you can be satisfied with flying your small foamy at the local soccer field, then why spend the money to join the AMA?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
So, it says that it will allow flying at FTCA FRIAs/flying fields. Do we have a list of FTCA FRIAs yet? If it's only for Edgewater and the FliteFest events, that's no good for a lot of us since we wouldn't be covered to fly at an AMA field. And it's not going to stop the problem children who have the mentality of, "I'll fly wherever I want regardless! 'Murica!" that are getting the FAA and local law enforcement to clamp down on the hobby.

I think the key is for the community to step up, and start forming FTCA flying sites.

It may be something as simple as getting that local soccer field recognized as a FRIA. Or for us to find a farmer with some land they'd be willing to lease a portion of, and start an FTCA flying site there.

Again, this isn't something meant to take away from the AMA. It's a way to try to be more inclusive, get more sectured flying sites, to keep the FAA from restricting us out of the hobby. Hopefully someday there will be some crossover from FTCA events to AMA events.

If I was in charge of an FTCA flying site, and AMA clubs were welcoming, one thing I'd organize is field trip days. Where FTCA club members would travel to neighboring fields for day visits, or even overnight group trips. Like flying events or open houses, but on a smaller, more neighborly scale.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Someone had to join and create AMA sites. Same thing needs to be done for FTCA. They can't just randomly create sites, they need people to create them where they will be used.....

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
If I had the free time, I would be all over trying to get a FTCA FRIA started up in my area... But there might already be someone doing that.

w1lp33

I’m away from my computer for a few days… can someone confirm if the simple stick plans can still be converted to gcode in Inkscape for foamboard cutters? I see they added watermarks to the PDFs, wasn’t sure if they’d changed the formatting any other ways.

Piotrsko

Master member
My experience:. (& I really don't want to sound negative). You need functioning flying site's and they will probably end up being private because agency's can't afford lawsuits. The two big talking points back when was AMA is insured for a million bucks per incident and they keep the riffraff out with a set of published rules.

Ok high deductable insurance is still relatively cheap, and rules are easy to copy paste. Now you need friends in high places that are sympathetic or at least not adverse to push your plan. Ask @Hai-Lee how it's done, he's a perfect example

tamuct01

As a valid educational institution (we homeschool), I plan on applying for FRIA status for my house. I don't care if the FAA approves it or not, I'll still fly around my own property. I think it would be interesting if they got thousands of applications from folks in a situation similar to mine. I'll happily make my house a FTCA site as well!