Adjustable DIY Control Rods

MarshallX

Hey Guys,

For those of you using flag stakes from HD/Lowes for Control Rods - how do you make them adjustable? I've been trying U bend one end/Z bend the other end but it just doesn't give me enough flexibility.

The Quick Links that FT sells don't fit the wire I'm using.

Drewidicus

I drilled mine out a bit to be able to use the marker flags. It wasn't too hard just make sure you use the smallest drill bit you have.

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Try putting a large z-bend in the middle, unflex or make it tighter, if that is not good enough, I am guessing you don't want to do this if, leave a little extra behind the control horn.

I've been using the Home Depot flags for control rods -- they fit the Dubro EZ connectors quite nicely.

I just thought of a crazy idea, but haven't tried it (maybe this weekend): you might also be able to narrow the wire to fit in the FT quick links (not sure if it's easier than drilling out the connectors). After cutting the wire to the rough length you need but before bending your z-bend, chuck the wire in a drill. While spinning the wire, hold on to one end with a piece of emery paper (regular sand paper might work, too). That should fairly quickly reduce the diameter of that end of the wire enough to fit your connectors.