Chuck Glider RC Conversions

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I've done a lot of these conversions over the years, posted in several random places, hand full of videos, so I thought I would try to make a thread to put that all in once place. I've got a few projects to dust off this summer and a few new ones to work on so I'll post all of that here in the coming weeks.

I like the LiDL gliders (and if you don't know what they are do a quick search on youtube) but they are hard to get in the states, we really only get various knock offs and never quite as cheap. This is a log of my quest to find various chuck gliders that can be readily converted to RC.

I like to use these foam gliders mainly because they are durable. They are, in fact, made to crash land every time they are flown. If built properly that durability can be pretty well maintained after the RC conversion.

I'll try to post links and such to the ones I have found and how well they work for conversions.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
This was a glider made by HiTec and was one of my favorite airframes for sub 250 FPV conversions. They are a bit smaller than the LiDL gliders (but larger than the super cheap Chinesium ones that are everywhere) and very tough. I posted a few builds with them but they don't seem to make them anymore.
20200108_202426.jpg

here's the little twin engine version:
20200512_221235.jpg

Build Video

Flight Testing twin motors

Twin motor FPV flights

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
There are several of the larger, "Lidl" style, knockoffs available lately too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JD1ZQLK/?tag=lstir-20

Get the 34" one, the little 14's are cute but they'd be more for something like the FT EZ power pack if you wanted.
20220330_110729.jpg

The 34" ones are pretty similar to the banggood ones I got quite a while ago (the tailboom is a bit thicker though, which is good) and very similar to the Lidl

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
The large 34" planes are pretty much what the European Lidl gliders are.

Roughly the size of a Tiny Trainer, they are an excellent platform for all kinds of stuff.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
One of the more amusing things I do is "Glider Combat" with my boys

Eventually we will move up to them flying their own but this keeps them entertained for the time being! lol

quorneng

Master member
My sub 250 chuck glider conversion started life as one of these.
Orange.jpg

Looks nice but those wings are very 'skinny' and like most of these moulded foamies the trailing edge was thick so I added Depron extensions to give a fine 1mm edge. Just for good measure I added a new 'built up' centre section (printed ribs, 2mm Depron skin) to take the span up to 1360 mm.
Complete1.JPG

It actually weighs 198g with an 800mAh 2s on board.
The 10A ESC is inset into the exterior wall of the cockpit so it gets some cooling.
ESCmount.JPG

The elevator servo is inset into the fuselage under the wing and uses a nylon monofilament pull/pull layout.
ElePullPull2.JPG

It is flown 'bank and yank' as there is no rudder.
The aileron servos are are inset flush with the underside of the wing with short links to the aileron horns.
ServoLink2.JPG

More a powered glider than anything else but with a 5x3 folding prop it has a good 15 minute cruise power endurance.