Dornier DO-335 Pfeil (Arrow) ever been suggested?

Boats13

Would love to see a simplified version...swappable on both ends? Master Series version? How fast could it be made to fly?

And WHY isn't there a VTOL TriCopter Flerken, yet? Be way cooler than the HeeWing thing! What a marketing BLAST for Christmas!!

Just some thoughts rolling around my thick skull...

Boats

Boats13

Would love to see a simplified version...swappable on both ends? Master Series version? How fast could it be made to fly?

And WHY isn't there a VTOL TriCopter Flerken, yet? Be way cooler than the HeeWing thing! What a marketing BLAST for Christmas!!

Boats
You could add this to the Land/ Take Off upside down challenge as a follow on...

Boats

Boats13

Boats
There is a VERY complicated almost Master level available on Facebook of all places. I bought the plan for that one. However, it uses 7, yes folks SEVEN full sheets of DTFB!!! Comes with a very detailed and very well illustrated set of instructions! Over 300 steps/photos. The man that designed it is amazing!! Another company online has a very simple profile version.... I don't know if it's cool to name other airplane kit manufacturers on here...
Wouldn't it be cool to have a almost Slab Sided Simple Series Swappable (Say that fimes, real fast) & a Mighty Mini Swappable that you could use your old worn out Cruiser motor setup on?
I am starting a Maricardo inspired Mini I am calling the Foamicardo, next week. Whenever I get it to fly decently, I'll post a build thread... It's an English plane from '73 that is something between an Eyeball, Migi-Ball, Eyelash and a Magnum 40 (without the reflexed airfoil, which may get incorporated into mine) with its horizontal stab raised up, but not inline like an Eyeball. Hopefully, it'll FunFly but not look like all the 540's, HOTS, Funtanas, et al... that'll keep me busy for while.
Oooh, what about FunFly Pfeil?! It just hit me... inline twin motors with an Aura5 Lite?! Make the cannons into profile fences for more side area! Ohmygoodness!!! Or build small with the new frSky Archer Plus SR6 Mini receiver (or a CrossoverRx 7ch w/Stabilizer in any of the major 2.4 Protocols) for a Full House Mini FunFlyer with Retracts... Alas, I don't have the coding skills, LASER, CAD, foamboard, or budget to develop it through the iterations to make it successful, in a timely manner... If only we knew someone that could bring to life on YouTube and then profit on kit sales from all of us crazed Foamies 🤪!! Only the FOAMINATOR(aka: Josh Bixler) & his Crew could pull this off in less than an Eon of time and many crashes!! Maybe even over the cold and terrible Winter in Ohio...

C.T.Woods (Boats)

Last edited:

Tench745

Master member
There is a VERY complicated almost Master level available on Facebook of all places. I bought the plan for that one. However, it uses 7, yes folks SEVEN full sheets of DTFB!!! Comes with a very detailed and very well illustrated set of instructions! Over 300 steps/photos. The man that designed it is amazing!! Another company online has a very simple profile version.... I don't know if it's cool to name other airplane kit manufacturers on here...
Wouldn't it be cool to have a almost Slab Sided Simple Series Swappable (Say that fimes, real fast) & a Mighty Mini Swappable that you could use your old worn out Cruiser motor setup on?
I am starting a Maricardo inspired Mini I am calling the Foamicardo, next week. Whenever I get it to fly decently, I'll post a build thread... It's an English plane from '73 that is something between an Eyeball, Migi-Ball, Eyelash and a Magnum 40 (without the reflexed airfoil, which may get incorporated into mine) with its horizontal stab raised up, but not inline like an Eyeball. Hopefully, it'll FunFly but not look like all the 540's, HOTS, Funtanas, et al... that'll keep me busy for while.
Oooh, what about FunFly Pfeil?! It just hit me... inline twin motors with an Aura5 Lite?! Make the cannons into profile fences for more side area! Ohmygoodness!!! Or build small with the new frSky Archer Plus SR6 Mini receiver (or a CrossoverRx 7ch w/Stabilizer in any of the major 2.4 Protocols) for a Full House Mini FunFlyer with Retracts... Alas, I don't have the coding skills, LASER, CAD, foamboard, or budget to develop it through the iterations to make it successful, in a timely manner... If only we knew someone that could bring to life on YouTube and then profit on kit sales from all of us crazed Foamies 🤪!! Only the FOAMINATOR(aka: Josh Bixler) & his Crew could pull this off in less than an Eon of time and many crashes!! Maybe even over the cold and terrible Winter in Ohio...

C.T.Woods (Boats)
It's perfectly okay to mention other manufacturers and the like on here, so long as your posts follow the forum guidelines. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/guidelines.105/ and the forum rules https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-test-forum-rules.107/

That Maricardo looks pretty cool; very similar to a Cassut racer, but modified to be a good RC build.

I think a swappable sized 335 would be a pretty cool build too. Plenty of power and presence, but maybe not quite as cool without all those nice curves. That's just my personal preference though.

Boats13

It's perfectly okay to mention other manufacturers and the like on here, so long as your posts follow the forum guidelines. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/guidelines.105/ and the forum rules https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-test-forum-rules.107/

That Maricardo looks pretty cool; very similar to a Cassut racer, but modified to be a good RC build.

I think a swappable sized 335 would be a pretty cool build too. Plenty of power and presence, but maybe not quite as cool without all those nice curves. That's just my personal preference though.
Tench,but

Thank you. The gentleman has posted articles one here and is probably well known. Timothy Brush with Fly'n Foam R/C... his twin C-pack version preserves all those gorgeous blended curves. His is the trainer/night fighter,double cockpit version. If/when I build his version I'll adapt it to single cockpit... it's Master Series level... I suppose what I was promoting was an old style FT interpretation ie: the first P-40 and the first A-10 each having Master Series level versions, now. The opposite end of the spectrum is Rabid Models Profile version with a yogurt tub for a cowling, ingenious! I am ot advertising for either company, although both seem great, I don't think they are direct competitors...

I ido think there is room for something Flite Test level of build ease and craziness with Full House and light enough for 3D tricks. First FT swappable with Retracts. Great side area and if it's flat or at leat flat-ish... knife edge here we come! Optional second cockpit and we could incorporate the beautiful Bolton-Paul Defiant that was suggested and what Mayhem they could cook up!! We would end up with two cool new planes and at least two to three episodes of quality content... Airsoft/Paintball dogfight, or laser tag at twilight (like MILES gear all over, again!). Think of the FPV for pilot and gunner! The drone shots would be EPIC. Oversized of each, for video, then scale them down for kit release.... I would buy one of each... I have three more MM's on the way now to teach my niece on....

Simplify it down and put the landing gear on top and bottom to do the other poster's suggestion of inverted landing! Possibilities are endless!

CT Woods (Boats)

Boats13

Oh! I thought of a name! The Faux Foam Pfeil!! Pfeil Faux Foam!
It's almost Fi Fye Fo Fum...

Now I need to start a debate on which one is more beautiful... the Bolton-Paul Defiant or the Pfeil...

Last edited:

quorneng

Master member
I did build a tandem motor plane in foam but in 3mm Depron rather than FT foam board and not a Do 335 but a Cessna Skymaster in the all black O-2 version.
21Apr18.JPG

With plenty of power it flew very well indeed and with counter rotating props you could safely apply instant full whack right at the stall with no ill effects. It simply accelerated away!

quorneng

Master member
Boats13
Span 52", weight 22 oz, Emax 2822 1200kV motors driving 9x6 (true scale diameter) props and 30A ESCs with a 2200mAh 3s. Three 3.7g servos. Full power gave 125W per motor so just over 150W/lb which equals real performance. On the other hand at a minimum cruise speed and on just the rear motor, the front was switchable in flight, it had a flight duration to LVC of 45 minutes meaning an average use of just under 3A. Interesting to do but very boring.
All Depron except the wing spar flanges and the struts which were balsa.
Past tense used as in Nov 2018 it crashed once too often.
16Nov18.JPG

Much missed but it was by then 5 years old.

Last edited:

Boats13

Q,

Well designed and built to last 5 years on foam! I like the switchable motor idea! The gentleman that built that crazy MiG-13 had the EDF switchable, too.

CT