Elementary's anti Drone themed episode tonight.

Talon2535

Elementary is a show about a modern Sherlock Holmes (for those who don't watch it).I love the show it's normally very smart but tonight's episode brought alot of anti drone tones to it i thought since i hang out here i should post it. the episode is called "The Man With the Twisted Lip" In this episode 2 types of "drones" were depicted one was even commented as being able to be build in a garage and it had a shotgun mounted on it as the weapon "the video used was one mocked up with a paintball gun". the second was an advanced bug like micro drone that carried a lethal poisen.

This is the sort of thing that can hurt the FPV community by helping to spread fear about things people don't know alot about.But what do you guys think?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I think that it's a fictional TV show.

Rational people are going to see it for what it is, irrational people don't need a TV show to carry a torch and pitchfork. I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't put too much worry into it. Now if it were a PBS documentary or the like, that'd be a different story altogether.

Talon2535

very true but if you watch the show they went out of the way to paint the quadcopter in said video in a very bad light

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
very true but if you watch the show they went out of the way to paint the quadcopter in said video in a very bad light

I can appeciate that. TV shows often paint things in a bad light. Guns, Politicians, technology etc. but all of these things are still around since the minds of rational people prevail.

That said, I didn't watch the show, but rational people will view fiction as fiction.

Now if the minds of irrational people prevail and these things get eliminated, it won't be at the hands of a television show, it will be at the hands of irrational people who cannot think for themselves and have the power to change law, or sway rational people. That's the real danger.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
...Rational people are going to see it for what it is, irrational people don't need a TV show to carry a torch and pitchfork...
Unfortunately, it would seem the irrational people far outnumber the rational people. And they're the ones who end up getting everything regulated by the gov't.

Not EVERYTHING has to be regulated people! It's almost like we've been trained to want regulation...but I digress.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Unfortunately, it would seem the irrational people far outnumber the rational people. And they're the ones who end up getting everything regulated by the gov't.

I don't disagree. My point is that "I saw it once on a primetime drama" makes for bad testimony.

If you want to sway people's opinon on "drones" or other RC flight, get out there and show them it's not evil. Believe it or not, the case for or against us won't be made in prime time television, it will be made by us. That's the same problem firearms have. A small handful of irresponsible morons make a large population of responsible people look like idiots. Best thing you can do is to make sure you aren't in that small handful, and if you meet someone in that small handful do what you can to try and correct their behavior... not to mention talk about all the positive aspects of the hobby with people you meet.

Be responsible, respectful and safe, and people will see the hobby for what it is. For example, I think the triathalon runner getting hit and injured with a multirotor will do FAR more damage to the hobby than a primetime drama.

http://runningmagazine.ca/drone-hits-runner-australian-triathlon/

Last edited: