F6F Hellcat - My first design

mcwalkman

One day I want to build Flying Penguin's beautiful F6F but I think it is a bit beyond my reach at the moment. Since there is no other DTFB FT style F6F out there that I am aware of.....I decided to design my own. If it were not for Nerd Nic's design videos I would be lost.

Here are some photos of the mock up that I put together tonight. This is just a proof of concept for the air frame. I have yet to figure out engine, battery and servo placement yet. I also did not include the polyhedral for the wings...they will be included in the final design.

Here is what I have so far. Please forgive the poor construction, I was just trying to see if I could pull this off.

DTFB F6F bottom.jpg DTFB F6F front.jpg DTFB F6F left side.jpg DTFB F6F right side.jpg DTFB F6F top.jpg

Right now I think that the ailerons will not be large enough and that that stabilizer may need to be bumped up in size. I am also thinking the wings could be stretched a bit longer.

Right now I have the wingspan at 26.7 inches and the length at 20 inches.

Please let me know if you see some obvious design flaws or problems. I welcome y'alls comments.

Thanks

Last edited:

Stape

I think it looks great! It never hurts to scale up the whole plane if you have a power system that can handle it. The bigger it gets the easier it is to make it relatively lighter. I think the ailerons are fine unless you want it to be a slow flyer. And with the tall turtledeck on the F6F I would be sure to make the tail feathers larger. Tall turtledecks tend to deflect a lot of airflow at anything over glide speed. Just my .02! Looking forward to your progress!

mcwalkman

I was planning on putting a FT Power Pack C in this when completed.

(1) Motor - Emaxx GT2215/09
(1) ESC - BL Heli 30 amp ESC

I was going to pair this up with a 3S 2200 mah lipo.

Is there a way to easily calculate how big of an airplane I can build with this set up? I am not looking for speed records, I will be happy with moderate and stable performance.