Fantastic Plastic 3D Printed Models

Great thread! I've only printed one plane so far, a Nucking Futs. However, I didn't take the time to make it nearly as pretty as the one in the first post of this thread. :eek:

Mine is printed with the "long wing", the upswept tips and I even printed a folding prop! I'm running it on 2S, and fly it more like a "micro hotliner" than a pylon racer. IOW, lots of climbs and power off dives with acro and fast passes. It's a blast, and flies great.

View attachment 178026
Nucking Futs and his big brother, a TopModel Wilco.
View attachment 178027

I've been toying with designing my own plane to print, but haven't had the time to sit down and figure out the internal structure tricks. If I ever do, I'm leaning towards a hybrid design, with foam flying surfaces and a printed fuselage.

It looks great, how does it fly? What was the final flying weight?

JustPlaneChris

It looks great, how does it fly? What was the final flying weight?
Thanks! It really flies well. First flight was no drama at all. It launches easily, and even with a lightweight 2S power setup it climbs vertically. At some point I may try 3S and a small (non-folding) prop, but honestly it's so much fun to fly it "hotliner" style that I've had no real desire to change it. I've even thermalled it! :)

AUW with a long skinny 2S 1400mah pack is 388g. Here are a couple of more photos. Stripes on the bottom are just cheap spray paint, and I printed the servo covers in black.

The folding prop started out as a design I found on Thingiverse, but I re-drew the hub and spinner nut to fit my application. It works great!
NF5.jpg NF4.jpg

Keno

Just finishing up my Bungee Prop printed with LW PLA from ColorFabb. The weight came in as they stated 216 Grams. However I have added build weight with paint. Very pleased with the printing at 250c and 240c, bed temp 115c. The only problem I had was the my hot end thermistor was not stable controlling temps above 240c and I chose to upgraded my extruder to improved it performance allowing me to print at higher temps. Present, trying out Priline's Polycarbonate CF on another project and no problems so far. Hope to launch the Bungee the weekend but that depends of the wind conditions. All take care and keep it out there, no buzzing the pits.