Flysky CT6B Antenna Mod

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Hello all,
Since I started flying FPV I noticed that my 1,800 foot range just doesn't cut it. I'm thinking about putting a coax RMA connector on it to change antennas and then use a 2 or 5 watt booster which could extend my range by x4 or x8 respectively. How easy would this be to accomplish? I'm not too worried about legality but my residential school where I will fly is 1.8mi away from the Chicago FAA facility (the one that shut down the airports earlier this year), will they come after me?

Cheers,
Malik

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
You will only get reprimanded (fun words) if you are operating on ome of their frequencies, or are boosting yojr range beyond legal limits (check your state)
How to boost it hmm???

IFlyRCstuff

Flyer Of Many Things
Yes and no. Yes for range and strength, no because if you are like me and randomly fly everywhere then you would drop signal a couple of times. See the patch takes all the enrrgy of a standad dipole or cloverleaf or whatever, and directs in a single area rather than everywhere. But if you are flyin by a strip, you would want to be an end of the strip, not in the middle.

malik98

Gravity Fighter
That makes sense, I found an 8dBi dipole omni-directional antenna I'll probably get to do some testing. I also plan on getting the 8 watt booster since it's only 9USD more than a 2 watt.

Cheers,
Malik

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
8 watts on 2.4ghz http://www.ebay.com/itm/8W-Wifi-Wir...osters_Extenders_Antennas&hash=item566ee0012d. I don't have a licence, how much trouble would I get into only being 16?

You cannot legally use that much power for RC control.

With the direction location and finding facilities the FCC has been using recently they can pinpoint a signal across the nation down to a specific room in a house (base station operations).

Trouble......LOTS and so much money as a fine your parents might NEVER recover from the financial burden.

If you need long range control then you need a Technician Amateur Radio license (quite a few 6 year old kids have them) and need to use 433MHz for control, However, generally speaking, you are still limited to a Watt of power or so for RC control applications (if memory serves me correctly). At 433 you should be able to go for many miles.......far beyond the mandatory line of sight that the FAA states is "required" to be legal these days.

Thurmond

malik98

Gravity Fighter
Sounds good, since I recently modified my transmitter with a 3dBi antenna the range decreased to about 100ft. When I took off with a camera at full throttle I had no control and it climbed about 7,000 feet into the sky at a rate of 6m/s with a 10 minute flight. The only way I got it back was by waiting for it to fall which was about 50 ft away. The only thing that broke was the frame and I rebuilt the same night. Lesson learned RANGE CHECK after all changes. I only got about 15 sec of flight before the SD card filled up but will try to upload it anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg396WOWNNI&feature=youtu.be
There was some good news though, my parents felt bad for me so they got me a DX6i and I only had to pay $40. Every thing worked out in the end.

Cheers,
Malik

Last edited:

malik98

Gravity Fighter
What if I FPV so far that my spotter(father) can't see the quad any more, about 1,800 feet, but my video link is solid?

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
FAA's take is YOU must have it in LOS of YOUR eyes at all times. Of course many ignore this and many will never be "caught" and the legality of what the FAA say's is debatable BUT they can, have and will continue to harass folks any way and it WILL cost the flyer money regardless of the outcome.

Thurmond