Gimbal on RCExplorer style tricopter

Niall762

English weather sucks
A while back I asked how I could mount a gimbal to my tricopter, and after spending many hours (okay maybe not that long) thinking I came up with this. It works well I think, and lets me remove it fairly quickly, and importantly is very light weight! I'm getting no jello with this setup either.

I started with a cheap ebay gimbal designed for a phantom, the aluminium ones like this:

1.jpg

Then I stripped it down and rebuilt it using 3D printed parts from this website:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/pl-tbs-gimbal-v1

Obviously I'm not using a tbs discovery so I later designed a piece that would attach to my tricopter.

IMG_20140929_155758.jpg

From here I then designed and laser cut two sheets of 1/8" ply, one that would attach to my tricopter on nylon standoffs, and the other that would be isolated from it with the rubber ball things that came with the gimbal. I designed the holes on the bottom layer so they'd line up with bolts already there.

IMG_20141024_230551.jpg

At the moment I only have a mobius, but found I could use a velcro strap for a gopro to mount it and just balanced it by sticking two two penny coins on the bottom.

IMG_20141024_230515.jpg
IMG_20141024_231653.jpg

I hope someone finds this useful!

Niall

Niall762

English weather sucks

Quick video from this evening, twitching is because it's not been tuned very well yet, I need more p on the roll axis!