Help please! my QAV 250 is as good as a paper weight!

toomanyhobbies

Hi guys, I am new in the multi rotors. I have a QAV 250, and it flew fine after I did a basic build. Like everything I do, it needed upgrades! I added fpv gear, and flew but needed tuning. Heard cleanfight was better. I went from running Liber pilot to trying to use clean flight. Ever since then I can't get things to work right. The channels were wrong, motor locations were wrong, and iI cant't get my Taranis to have the correct channel mapping in cleanfight. I am using cc3d flight controller. I relocated the connections from the esc's to the cc3d so the motor locations were correct. I was using a frsky xr8 receiver and switched to a dr4-II, made it ppm connection between cc3d and receiver. I flashed the cc3d with liberpilot for cleanflight. The motors also don't seem to spool up at the same time. I may have changed too much at once. I am about ready to strip the frame and and start over. Here is a list of what I have.
QAV 250
- cc3d FC
- PDB with 12v and 5v output.
- DR4-II receiver with jumper installed on the signal pins 3,4
- tarot 2300kv motors
- BL heli 12 amp esc's
- 2200 3 cell lipos
- Eachine et600r transmitter
- Foxeer antenna
- foxeer camera
- fatshark dominator se goggles.

ALL MESSED UP. PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVISE.

megabotz

TWO DOLLARS!
My advice here is probably more general than you are looking for but here it is!

I would first go back to the first setup you understood & implemented. It sounds like you bit off too much in terms of learning curve.

I cannot offer any insight into which setup is easier to tune but take it slow & be calm. This is supposed to be at least a little fun.

Troubleshooting is easiest when you only change one factor at a time. Get back to your original working configuration & take it from there.

megabotz

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would start by taking the FPV out of the loop all together by removing power. Then look on clean flight there is a picture dictating how the number the motors and make sure they are wired correctly to the FC. I am not familiar with the Taranis but there is a tab on cleanflight to select the mappings.

There will be a pull down menu that says AETR1234, Taer1234 and others. That stands for Aileron elevator throttle and rudder and the numbers are for the channel assignments. Find out what the receiver uses for channels and match that to the pull down selection.

Once you have that and everything is spinning when and how it should you need to do a throttle calibration. TAKE YOUR PROPS OFF for this step. Then go to the motors tab in clean flight and check the box to spin the motors in software. Raise the spin all slider to full. Plug in the battery to your quad and when you hear beeps pull the throttle slider back down to its lowest position. The quad will reinitialize and the motors should all start up at the same time. MAKE SURE you don't take too long to drop the slider after plugging the battery in as you can set one or more of the esc's into programming mode which opens a whole new can of worms.

If there is something you don't get ask in here again before you try this stuff and we shall see if we can explain it better.

toomanyhobbies

Thanks for the reply, I did manage to get the channels and motor orientation correct. Will keep it simple! Now to just sync the motors and test further.

toomanyhobbies

IMG_3596.JPG Well striped the quad all down and Found a couple signal wires shorting to the carbon fibre frame! Not helping! Re did a lot of the wiring and flashed the Cc3d back to liber pilot. Just finished my maiden flight and its working fine again! Lesson learned..... don't change so much at once! Thanks for the replies. Now if only the snow would stop and stay away I could get going!

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Gratz on gettin back in the air. I almost wish for snow again. I am sitting here with sun burnt head and arms from flying today and the cute lil weather gurl in the tight summer dress said we are looking at a record 86 degrees tomorrow. Its three am here now and its still over 60 degrees.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
View attachment 86522 Well striped the quad all down and Found a couple signal wires shorting to the carbon fibre frame! Not helping! Re did a lot of the wiring and flashed the Cc3d back to liber pilot. Just finished my maiden flight and its working fine again! Lesson learned..... don't change so much at once! Thanks for the replies. Now if only the snow would stop and stay away I could get going!

Those thin Red and Black wires with the insulation stripped back far from the solder pads look to be a problem waiting to happen. I would redo those connections or at a minimum, put some electrical tape around the exposed wire to prevent something from shorting on them in the future.

Cheers!
LitterBug