new flyer here "Kirk"

MCKINLEYW

Hey all. So I have been wanting to get into this hobby for a long time and i finally ordered my starting plane (FT SIMPLE CUB). I went to amazon and ordered the electronics due to my financials. got a 1400kv motor with 30a esc and 9g micro servos. I plan on running a 8x4.5 or 8x6 prop on this motor. I also ordered a flysky tx, rx bundle. hope to get flying by beginning of 2021.

Now about me. I am a 36 yr old us army veteran. I have 3 boys 14,13,12. we enjoy model rockets, animals, and soon rc flight. We currently live in Florida, our plans may end up taking us into the great area around Cincinnati, Ohio. most likely in Indiana or Kentucky, depending on my income after the first of the year.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome, and good luck with the plane!

Couple of questions to ask to help you out:

1) What size battery did you get? 3S 2200mah?

2) Do you know which motor it is? I know there's several 1400kv motors out there on Amazon, and some of them aren't the greatest; if you're running even something as small as a 8 x 4.7 prop, you have a very real risk of cooking the motor due to too much pull on a 3S battery. I'd hate for you to do that and have to put out more money for a new motor/ESC. If it's the motor/ESC combo I'm thinking it might be, you'd be better off running it on a 2S battery, as this would allow you to fly it a little slower on a slightly bigger prop (like say, a 9 x 4.7).

Faster planes require faster reaction times, and if you're just starting out, it's easier to fly something a little slower and a little more tame.

I'd also recommend heading down to the local Dollar Tree/Dollar General/99 Cent store and buying some extra sheets of foam. Use the speed build kit you've got as a template for cutting out extra parts, because you'll likely crash, and this is a very cheap way to repair/replace if it should get broken. I've trashed too many planes to count (some by my own poor building skills, some just out of fun in a combat environment, and some just out of environmental - i.e., a gust of wind came up and put it into a tree, or I lost radio signal). If the electronics are salvageable (and most of the time they are), you can just reuse them in another plane! :) Props and foam are cheap, and you'll go through them when you're first learning to fly, so don't get discouraged. And if you're like me, building the planes are just as much fun as flying them. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hello and welcome to the hobby and of course the forums. Its awesome the kids are into the hobby stuff already, makes for an easy transition into flight. The best part is there is always new stuff to discover with flight. Not just learning how to fly a plane, but the different styles of even just fixed wing will keep you and the boys busy for a while. Or even moving onto quads or FPV based on differing interests, as long as its fun, it doesn't matter.

The Simple Cub is a great trainer but beware some have different experiences with it then others. Some like it right out of the box and others need to perform little modifications to get it to fly. The power system you have chosen will be fine for the cub. I imagine because you saw the cub will fly off the B-pack motor you searched the dimensions and the 1400KV motor you got was sized at 2212. If this is the case I run various brands of this size on 3s and even 4s all the time and they work great. Actually on 3s with up to an 8x6 you might pull just around 20 amps, well within the 30amp range your ESC has. And it will give you more then a 1:1 thrust ratio so you will fly this cub.

My question would be do you plan to go with 3 channel (Rudder/Elevator/Throttle), or 4 channel with the Ailerons?

MCKINLEYW

Welcome, and good luck with the plane!

Couple of questions to ask to help you out:

1) What size battery did you get? 3S 2200mah?

2) Do you know which motor it is? I know there's several 1400kv motors out there on Amazon, and some of them aren't the greatest; if you're running even something as small as a 8 x 4.7 prop, you have a very real risk of cooking the motor due to too much pull on a 3S battery. I'd hate for you to do that and have to put out more money for a new motor/ESC. If it's the motor/ESC combo I'm thinking it might be, you'd be better off running it on a 2S battery, as this would allow you to fly it a little slower on a slightly bigger prop (like say, a 9 x 4.7).

Faster planes require faster reaction times, and if you're just starting out, it's easier to fly something a little slower and a little more tame.

I'd also recommend heading down to the local Dollar Tree/Dollar General/99 Cent store and buying some extra sheets of foam. Use the speed build kit you've got as a template for cutting out extra parts, because you'll likely crash, and this is a very cheap way to repair/replace if it should get broken. I've trashed too many planes to count (some by my own poor building skills, some just out of fun in a combat environment, and some just out of environmental - i.e., a gust of wind came up and put it into a tree, or I lost radio signal). If the electronics are salvageable (and most of the time they are), you can just reuse them in another plane! :) Props and foam are cheap, and you'll go through them when you're first learning to fly, so don't get discouraged. And if you're like me, building the planes are just as much fun as flying them. :)

I did order 3s 2200mah batteries. And ur probably right. It is a kit from amazon.
FPVDrone RC A2212 1400KV Brushless Motor+30A ESC+SG90 Servos+8060 Propeller for RC Plane Quadcopter Helicopter Aircraft...

I wont be too upset if it fries out. I kinda expect it to. Hopefully 1 partial flight would be nice though. I have tested it once with no prop just to make sure it spun up well. And yes I plan on slow and steady 3 channel to start. I have downloaded the free plans for the kit i bought and will be getting more boards soon. The build will be absolutely fun for me. I will look into 2s batteries as well. I orderex like a pack of 6 8045 props as well

Bricks

Master member
You might need a second or third job having 3 boys if they get into the hobby or find them jobs, and plan on adding to the shop or home for more room OH YEA welcome to the forum and the addiction.