Mike Ecko

Hi, everyone. Just registered, but have been watching the YouTube videos for a while now. I've noticed that several of the planes are tailless, such as the Flerken and the Retro Rocket. Trying to figure out how Flite Test has had such success with this design. May I ask the secret of your success? Reflexed airfoil? Extremely good CG calculations?
Also, I noticed that the Retro Rocket bears an uncanny resemblance to a truncated F-4 Phantom. Could I achieve the same with a shortened A-10 perhaps?
Thanks for taking the time to help a new guy.

Tench745

Master member
Hi, everyone. Just registered, but have been watching the YouTube videos for a while now. I've noticed that several of the planes are tailless, such as the Flerken and the Retro Rocket. Trying to figure out how Flite Test has had such success with this design. May I ask the secret of your success? Reflexed airfoil? Extremely good CG calculations?
Also, I noticed that the Retro Rocket bears an uncanny resemblance to a truncated F-4 Phantom. Could I achieve the same with a shortened A-10 perhaps?
Thanks for taking the time to help a new guy.
I wouldn't exactly call the Retro Rocket "tailless;" it's more of a delta-wing design.
The rest are variations on a flying wing. Get the CG right, add a little reflex to the elevons, and you'll probably do alright. In FT's case, I believe you see the extent of their CG calculations in a lot of videos: move weight around till it glides nice.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I've noticed that several of the planes are tailless, such as the Flerken and the Retro Rocket...May I ask the secret of your success? Reflexed airfoil? Extremely good CG calculations?...
First, I can't speak for FT.
There is not just one thing, there are 2-3 dozen things that you need to get right. The items you mentioned are on the list.

Last edited:

Mike Ecko

I wouldn't exactly call the Retro Rocket "tailless;" it's more of a delta-wing design.
The rest are variations on a flying wing. Get the CG right, add a little reflex to the elevons, and you'll probably do alright. In FT's case, I believe you see the extent of their CG calculations in a lot of videos: move weight around till it glides nice.
Thanks. Looks like I'll need to do a little digging to see those calculations.

Mike Ecko

First, I can't speak for FT.
There is not just one thing, there are 2-3 dozen things that you need to get right. The items you mentioned are on the list.
2-3 dozen sounds a little scary. Can you name a few more, just to see if I'm familiar with them?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
2-3 dozen sounds a little scary. Can you name a few more, just to see if I'm familiar with them?
This list would apply to both tailless & convention planes. Wing loading, power to weigh, thrust to weigh, stall speed, down thrust, just to mention a few.

I always recommend starting with a known plane. Flying is difficult, there is a learning curve. We will be able to give you far more help if your first few planes are from known plans. After that, design away on your own creations. When you have a proven design, share the plans with us

Are you only interested in tailless planes?

Here is an article with more basic parameters.

Here are some general rules of thumb that most successful planes will follow.
1709937903017.png

Last edited:

Mike Ecko

Thanks for the article. As I've been thinking over the last few days I've pretty much decided to start with a 2D fuselage. Not sure about a 3D wing. Possibly a single surface wing with scoring to provide curvature. Matching curve at the fuselage attachment point and matching curve end plate to hold everything in place. And, yes, I've been chasing the tailless dream for years, now.
For the time being I just want a glider. Maybe step up to rubber power as the design matures. Would love to see it evolve to an EDF.
Thanks again.

leaded50

Legendary member
another thing to remember..... a deltawing have all movable surfaces in the rear end of wing... also as the flying wing. They dont need a tail with eg. an elevator, mainly tail is sometimes used just for the vertical surface to control direction better or stability .