Oculus Rift with FSX....Awesome!!!

xray328

I was just recently introduced to the Oculus Rift, a VR platform in the late development stages. Looks like they are releasing a consumer version Q1 2016. There's also a software company called FlyInside that's made FSX work with the Oculus platform. Basically, it puts you in the cockpit of the FSX planes all while giving you a 360 degree 3D experience. It uses head tracking as well so you have the ability to look around your surroundings. I was flying a trike over San Francisco Bay at dusk, holy cow! Look up seeing the fabric wing, then the constellations, the water below, turning back to see the prop spinning. It's the most amazing simulator I've ever experienced, I just can't tell you guys how cool this thing is. It needs a smoking fast PC to support it though, including a NVIDIA 980 graphics card. Looks to be about a $1500 setup, but man is this thing awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2kctBkvXPk

I know what I want for Christmas! :)

Spastickitten

I was hoping that this kind of stuff would happen, imagine just simulated LOS flying with this, though I think 1500 is a bit steep for my taste.

xray328

I was hoping that this kind of stuff would happen, imagine just simulated LOS flying with this, though I think 1500 is a bit steep for my taste.

$1500 is a lot of money...until you try this this out. It's absolutely unbelievable, and that was the developers edition. The consumer edition gets even better...

" It has a resolution of 1080×1200 per eye, a 90 Hz refresh rate, and a wide field of view. It has integrated headphones which provide a 3D audio effect. The Rift has rotational and positional tracking. The positional tracking is performed by a USB stationary IR sensor, which normally sits on the user's desk, allowing for using the Rift while sitting, standing, or walking around the same room."

Basically it requires a $1000 PC, pricing on the Oculus itself is expected around $500.

Beyond the flying applications there's plans to use it in historical simulations as well. For instance, standing in the crowd at Gettysburg, listening to Lincolns speech. It puts you in the action.

Imagine playing Call of Duty and you're inside the game. Its going to be a real game changer.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If it doesn't come with the tiltey chair, it's not enough ;)

You know, something more like this:

uLightMe

When it comes to VR I'm an absolute nut! I've had the Oculus Rift DK2 for a while and used it for many VR experiences and games but I also managed to use it for FPV flight with the help of this project http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2375314.

But recently I came across the FlyInside (hack/application/expansion) for Flight Simulator X and OMG. This is an amazing experience for anyone that wanted to fly a plane. Very immersive and I highly recommend it!

Richmond2000

one of my high school friends is a computer programmer and has bean "playing" with the Oculus rift for 6 months and says it will blow your mind + there is a LOT of "excitement" in the DEV community for it and a LOT of programs in the works

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I still find it funny that we had crazy VR gear 25(?) years ago already and nobody cared. And suddenly they are the big hype.

Same with tablets. Does anyone remember the first Apple MessagePad or the Microsoft Tablet?

I'm old...