Rapier, the latest edition to my fleet of vintage Pattern aircraft

model14

I just finished building the Rapier. The design is by Dan Santich from 1970. My build is 70% scale of the original.
Building methods are FT using Adams Readi Board.
This is my largest and most ambitious build to date. Wing span is 42", length (including spinner) is 36", wing taper is 1.5/1.
Weight is 2.2 lbs, and power is 400 watts to a 10x6 APC E prop. Battery is a 2200 4S.
I hope to fly it this afternoon.

Attachments

• DSCF4830.JPG
    DSCF4830.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCF4831.JPG
    DSCF4831.JPG
  • DSCF4832.JPG
    DSCF4832.JPG
  • DSCF4833.JPG
    DSCF4833.JPG

model14

Maiden flight went extremely well. Pilot is Edwin, our club VP. This is an awesome aircraft that performs well above my skill level. My challenge now is to learn to fly it like it wants to be flown. I suspect this is about the ultimate in Adams Readi Board building, as far as size and performance match. Enjoy the video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFWrRojDTSI

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
Great build and I like the tape work - clean and simple. And it flys great. A couple of questions. Is it a flat bottom airfoil and why the Rapier? What did the foam flyers think of it?

model14

Fully symmetrical wing. I chose the Rapier because it has the classic 70's look, which is nostalgic for me. I'm 82 and the 70's was my RC hay day (I could see well and had good hand-eye coordination then). Young people were heavily involved; not so today.
At the flying field yesterday there 20 pilots, not one under 40! Sad.

model14

Here is an updated edit of the video of the Rapier maiden flight:

youtu.be/_XqO7i2ctnQ

Unfortunately, I have yet to fly the plane due to weather. Club members were impressed that the plane total cost was $100 and can be easily built in 3 days. It seems I am the only club member that builds using the FT process.