Sky Angel A6 Intruder

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I think my wife took a couple. She loves this plane. She gets to sleep in on Saturdays, so I'll get to it later if I remember

OK, they aren't great pics. It was worse than it looks in the pic. After hot gluing it back together I ran hot water over a few warped parts and it's not terribly awful, but not particularly pretty either.

10022012535.jpg 10022012536.jpg IMG016.jpg

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Solentlife on Wattflyer has a bit of an obsession with these 50 mm edfs. He has a T-45 with a 4s producing 430-390 g of thrust through battery charge. This is with a 950 mah, 4s. The stock 3s gives 390-300 g of thrust through a charge. That should translate to some nice speed!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Are you referring to the 6 blade I linked above? I hope it makes a difference in performance. The A6 doesn't seem to be as efficient as the rest of the series in terms of delivering thrust. The only solution to that of course if to ramp up the power!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, new unit arrived today and is in the plane. I've ramped it up to full throttle and it seems OK. I wish I had something to test the thrust with... I'm kind of apprehensive about chucking it back up in the air. Most reviews I've seen have reported a slight increase in power, but it's hard to tell on the ground. Given how easily this thing stalls out I'm not particularly confident.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The love-hate relationship continues. First launch I didn't throw it quite flat enough. Had to glue the nose back together. Second launch, had someone to do it for me who didn't throw hard enough. No damage, but came down quick. Third time, good launch, but the plane didn't carry the trajectory and pointed the nose up at stall speed, acting a little tail heavy, and ditched into the ground again. My conclusion is not enough thrust from the new unit. I think it's time to put this aside for a few more weeks, focus on getting my FPV stuff up and running, and come back to it when I'm not so cranky with the plane...

To console myself, I took the Bixler out for a relaxing session, which was cut short by heavy rain setting in.

earthsciteach

Give up on the A-6 if it is being this difficult. If you want a nice flying 50mm EDF, strip the electronics out of the Intruder and buy an F-86, F-16 or F-18 kit of the same line. I think you will be much happier!

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah... Wise words... I keep seeing things that would theoretically make this plane go better, but I catch myself before trying to polish this terd with valuable $$$ I could spend on a more satisfying project. I've strung a lot of good flights together with this thing, which makes it all the more frustrating.

As a change of tack, I've ordered a parkjet to satisfy the size/function the A6 used to fill.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Banana is out of stock on the little t-45s
45 bucks airframe only ( they say that but it comes with the fan and the motor)
wonder if they will still be on sale when they come back in stock.

I know they are not jets but the Funfighter series (made by the same company) are a blast and are fast little planes.
Quite a few of the guys around here have them and they look to be a blast to fly.
The new ones from HobbyKing have upgraded ESCs and scream on 4s, the stock setups are good for around 100mph

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, I'm anticipating ~90mph with the parkjet on 3s. Should be fun. My father-in-law has been talking about sending a 55mm system that puts out about 500g thrust on 3s (for about 30A), so I'm thinking of shelving the A6 until that (maybe) happens...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
OK, just chucked the plane on to a very makeshift setup to measure thrust. I got 190g. No wonder it won't fly...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
This baby is back on the menu! That is, once I can locate and fit a 40A ESC... My very generous father-in-law has sent over a 55mm EDF unit with a ridiculously high powered outrunner. I don't have any specs, but holding it in my hand was difficult at full throttle. It does draw a fair bit of current though...

To fit it, I've burned out some space using my soldering iron. I'm going to have to glue the EDF hatch down, but seeing as I've almost given up on this airframe, and the speed of this thing should be off the scale, I don't think I'll need to access the EDF unit any time soon...

Skyman

what r/c and battery are you using?
i just got one myself and i dont know what battery or remote controll to get.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'm using a Turnigy 9x: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=8991&aff=516279
and was using this battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=9163&aff=516279

If I was to do it all again, I'd get some of these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=11899&aff=516279

My A6 is now dead. Once I broke the original fan unit, I couldn't get it to stay in the air. The wing loading is very high on this model, and it's only just got enough power to stop it falling out of the sky. If this is your first plane, I'd stick it on the mantle for a few planes time, and get something like this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=16542&aff=516279.

Also, a good simulator is worth a few planes, as you'll learn about 80% of what you need to do to keep a plane in the air from a decent simulator.