3D resin printed Draco RC 2500mm

chaos23

For the next episode of Draco RC im going to take a look at what will be involved with printing the Draco and what anyone looking to buy the files to print their own will have to do to make their own. PS that below shows parts loaded on print beds. and its not even all the parts, still to be done are the main fuselage sections, ailerons, flaps, main gear strut sections, main gear wheel hubs, molds to cast the rubber/foam tires, windows (tbd), plus any and all internal parts. Not to mention any other parts still not even thought of yet.

So yeah a big part of the next videos topic will be covering the "difficulty level" of taking on a project like this, and why at first glance a few people would be like "heck yeah i would by the files to print my own". Only to then realize the monumental task of printing, building and assembly, plus sourcing all of the "off the shelf" parts like CF tubes & rods, bearings, nuts bolts, etc etc.

Should make for an awesome video, plus it gives me the motivation to go through and start actually putting together a proper BOM list.
Screenshot_162.png

Tench745

Master member
That is an impressive display and a lot of work represented both in the design and the final assembly. To my mind and skills it's just easier to build from scratch.
Keep it up! :D

chaos23

Man that really makes it look the part! Are you going to make hinged doors that open? Would look sick flying with one door open😂
You bet im making the doors hinged, im even thinking of adding to small servos to have them open and close.

I passed the point of "good enough" on this project over a month a go. At this point its just a matter of time before the internet tells me to stop lol.

so far i have filled 29 build plates in my Draco RC print array demonstration. and I still need to section the fuselage, ailerons and the legs, maybe, the legs do fit in the print volume. but that means doing a 40hr print.
Screenshot_172.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds to me if someone builds this after buying your plans they would be half into the cost to build a full size one hehe. All kidding aside this is awesome and your enthusiasm and dedication for doing it all is commendable.

I feel the same about my quad builds. Yes I only solder and bolt pieces together but its the effort to make them the best I can and keep aesthetics of the build high is what makes them valuable to me. Keep on doing what you do mate in the end what makes you happy is all that matters. And in this day and age someone will be willing to pay what you ask if they want what you have bad enough. It happens all the time with things like musical instruments and works of art etc.

Good luck on the completion of this project.

chaos23

Sounds to me if someone builds this after buying your plans they would be half into the cost to build a full size one hehe. All kidding aside this is awesome and your enthusiasm and dedication for doing it all is commendable.

I feel the same about my quad builds. Yes I only solder and bolt pieces together but its the effort to make them the best I can and keep aesthetics of the build high is what makes them valuable to me. Keep on doing what you do mate in the end what makes you happy is all that matters. And in this day and age someone will be willing to pay what you ask if they want what you have bad enough. It happens all the time with things like musical instruments and works of art etc.

Good luck on the completion of this project.
Thanks mate. Yeah from the outset of this project the goal has never been to design it for sale, the goal is to demonstrate the possibilities of resin printing in the RC community. I did expect there to be plenty of intrest in the files for others to make their own and it is possible, but this is why i made the subject of this latest episode on why its not an everyday plane, and that there are very fey people that would have the means to build. But not all is doom and gloom, this will not be the only RC plane I design. check this out, my re-imagining of Burt Rutan's Long EZ. Just started this side project today. These sort of designs are far simpler and i will design them for both Plastic and Resin printing, I will also keep simplicity and cost in mind so almost anyone can print, build and fly their own. These are the sort of designs that I design with the goal of selling them.
Screenshot_177.png

chaos23

dash and sun visor, fun fact ive made this "aesthetic" part functional by making it a reinforcing structure for the firewall. I also made the struts behind the windshield. Ive also done a but load of boring part assembly geometry like register tabs etc. tomorrow I'll make some seats and control yokes... omg, there is still so much other boring assembly and structural related geometry still to do :cry::cry::cry:. oh well one must soldier on.
Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_11.png

the rc project

dash and sun visor, fun fact ive made this "aesthetic" part functional by making it a reinforcing structure for the firewall. I also made the struts behind the windshield. Ive also done a but load of boring part assembly geometry like register tabs etc. tomorrow I'll make some seats and control yokes... omg, there is still so much other boring assembly and structural related geometry still to do :cry::cry::cry:. oh well one must soldier on.
View attachment 188690
View attachment 188692
Will mike patey be modelled inside too? Lol looks awesome!

william Metge

View attachment 188690
View attachment 188692
I am impressed!!

chaos23

here are some of the aforementioned alignment tabs, progress has really slowed down on the Draco, doing a lot more thinking on things are put together and printed. But the picture is coming together slowly, im thinking of making the cabin floor in sections with the removeacle seats. That way I can install the TR and other components under the floor out of sight.
Screenshot_16.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_17.png
    Screenshot_17.png
    148.1 KB · Views: 0