Balsa Build Along- 3.6M Peter Goldsmith "Foxbat" Sailplane

abieex

Mentor
I know I'm a little late but really wanted to build balsa this winter. My kit is on the way from Kennedy Composites in Texas and I'm hoping it gets here soon! I'll be building this as an ALES style glider so it will be powered. My goal is to have some fun and maybe encourage a glider or two for FF18. See you all when the box gets here!!:cool:

abieex

Mentor
No problem guys, just head to your favorite saloon and tell 'em to put it on my tab! I'll mail the check real soon:cool:

abieex

Mentor
Well, the box arrived today and the contents are spectacular! Wood and hardware are first class and the packaging is the best I've seen. Span is 143" and the horizontal stab is larger than most of my foamies. I'll be looking over the plans tomorrow and pictures soon. Excited for this build and I'll also be posting on RC Groups. Thanks to Peter Goldsmith and Kennedy Composites for great service.

abieex

Mentor
I need to preface this by stating that I am not a particularly good balsa builder nor am I a very good writer. I wanted to participate in this winters balsa build and when I saw the Foxbat on this months RC Groups/Sailplane Talk, I pulled the trigger right away. The airplane falls into the nostalgia catergory for pre 1980 designs. Its span is 3.6 meters and is a RES ship. The Eppler 193 foil supports an EFlite power 15 motor and has an all up weight of about 56 oz. plus the motor. The Eppler foil should make it a pretty sweet flyer and ideal for ALES competition.
I began by laying the whole kit out to see what I had purchased. Beautiful wood and very nice hardware. BUT!!! No parts inventory and no instructions. I'm on my own here so I'll just have to figure it out with the help of the folks over at RC Groups. The plans are very nice but only one side of the wing is shown. I'll be marking both bottom spars at the same time then turning one around for the opposite side.Sounds simple enough right? we'll see.
I dry fitted the tail section together and had to add a shim here and there to get everything nice and square. Once complete it came apart and I glued it up with PVA glue. Tomorrow Ill sand and shape both assemblies and hopefully start the wing before the weekend.
Always open for constructive comments! Steve:cool: xIcrpDW - Imgur.jpg

abieex

Mentor
Forward wing sheeting, lower spar, ribs and trailing edge is dry fit and I fee pretty good about starting to glue things up. The opposite spar has been marked to match so its time for PVA. I'll tack it with CA and use small PVA fillets. Spars glued and final parts added to horiz stab. I really do need some proper weights! eHAeKrW - Imgur.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Wow, that is looking great. I looked at their website and some of the gliders cost $7,000! I would be too scared to fly something that expensive, but your glider is affordable and you get to build it yourself instead of someone else building it. That is worth way more in my book.

abieex

Mentor
In my book as well nhk750. The Eppler airfoil is under cambered so covering may be a challenge but so far this is a load of fun!

abieex

Mentor
hpgWLSL.jpg
Wing panels are getting done slowly but surely, PVA glue just doesn't allow fast building. Polyhedral intersections, spoilers, joiners and bolt blocks remain. I'm estimating another two weeks before I can start the fuse. This is challenging but a lot of fun and I'd forgotten just how much I love balsa builds. The motor and servos are ordered and I'm ordering covering tonight. Neon green and purple!!! Not to late folks, grab a balsa kit and build it!!!!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Wow. You ran out of door on just one wing panel. Jeeze that thing is going to be huuuuge!! :)