Balsa Build Along for 2019-2020

kilroy07

Legendary member
Okay I know I am a year late. I've got my Willy Nillies GLH-250 all built, but I am having a devil of a time covering the elevator.

I have some checkered film and the idea is to have the line where the rudder and stabilizer meet fall along the seam of the checkers...
What is happening in practice (and I've had a LOT of it... I've used up nearly 1/4 of the roll on this one part!!) :mad:
When the film shrinks it pulls the line off the edge of the balsa.

I've got my iron set to the lowest setting... Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong or tips/suggestions??
IMG_1680[1].JPG
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the 10 prior tries... Got to the point where I just needed to walk away last night...

OliverW

Legendary member
Okay I know I am a year late. I've got my Willy Nillies GLH-250 all built, but I am having a devil of a time covering the elevator.

I have some checkered film and the idea is to have the line where the rudder and stabilizer meet fall along the seam of the checkers...
What is happening in practice (and I've had a LOT of it... I've used up nearly 1/4 of the roll on this one part!!) :mad:
When the film shrinks it pulls the line off the edge of the balsa.

I've got my iron set to the lowest setting... Any ideas of what I might be doing wrong or tips/suggestions??
View attachment 207710
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the 10 prior tries... Got to the point where I just needed to walk away last night...
It sounds like to me you're holding the iron down in one spot for too long causing the covering to pull due to the heat. I'd recommend moving the iron more across the piece

Piotrsko

Master member
Or turning down the heat on the iron even closer to off if you can. Or put a literal sock or two on the iron. Or prime the balsa with dope to make it sticky when you tack it, or wrap the film edge around the surface and trim in a straight line later.

Last edited: