Bloody Baron - Build

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Does 355 grams complete, all RC, prop, motor (B pack), three servos, no battery sound about right? If I added a battery, it would (I hope) fly. I tend to build using too much glue! Of the props I have on hand, the 8x4.5 slo fly seemed to use a fair amount of power (130 watts) without overheating.

I need to renew ecalc...

OK, I did. The 8x4.5 should work fine with these weights. The numbers ecalc reports match the readings I took with my watt meter. The 10x4.7 is over-propped according to ecalc and yep, I did get the motor hot. I only ran it that way for 5-10 seconds, so it wasn't damaged.

Mike

Last edited:

Batteryman

My Bloody baron weighs in at a wopping 440g I knew the board was a bit heavy.....

However, it flew very nicely indeed which is testament to the design, although the landings were a bit faster as a result. I did move the wing back about 3mm to help with the CoG.

I used 5mm foam from these guys. http://www.foam-board.co.uk/
I've ordered some 5mm Westfoam from Amazon, which I think should be a lot lighter.

Will post comparison when it arrives.

Just maidened my Bloody Baron Speed Build kit. I tend to like planes with larger wing spans but this little guy impressed the heck out of me! Super stable and not as twitchy as i expected. Motor is Emax GT2215/09 1180kv with 8x3.8 slow fly prop and 1300mah battery. Balanced perfectly. I don't really like the battery on the bottom so I remove the power pod and insert the battery each time.

Hats off to Sponz!

Ray

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just maidened my Bloody Baron Speed Build kit. I tend to like planes with larger wing spans but this little guy impressed the heck out of me! Super stable and not as twitchy as i expected. Motor is Emax GT2215/09 1180kv with 8x3.8 slow fly prop and 1300mah battery. Balanced perfectly. I don't really like the battery on the bottom so I remove the power pod and insert the battery each time.

Hats off to Sponz!

Ray

Thanks for the feedback. Really glad you like it and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it.

I'm sure I will enjoy many flights with the Bloody Baron!

I cut a hole in the top of the fuselage to facilitate battery swaps. A bamboo stick goes through the fuselage just above the battery to hold it in place. Eliminates mounting on the bottom and/or removing the power pod each time.

Bloody Baron Battery.jpg

bigALUSMC

Can the power plant be moved forward like the Ugly stick to accommodate a larger hatch?

Love the look of this little plane!

kareemzod

please i am looking for FT BLOODY BARON autocad file do you please have it ?

or help me with a file to use it for cnc lesser cuter

and thank you

Jin

Hi,
I built my bloody baron a year ago and used my 6ch helicopter parts to fly.. it flew alright and i crashed it alot too.. finall i got a A2212/6T 2200kv motor and a (30A. BEC:5v3A) ESC with 8/6 prop..
Do you think it will perform with this kinda setup and please recommend a batterry for this particular setup if it is bound to work..
Thanks in advance

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
please i am looking for FT BLOODY BARON autocad file do you please have it ?

or help me with a file to use it for cnc lesser cuter

and thank you

Welcome to the forums!!

Flite Test central has so far asked Sponz not to share the original CAD files out, just the PDF's - but it's not too much work to run the PDF through a PDF to DXF online tool like https://www.pdftodxf.com/ and open that up in AutoCAD.

Once you do that, adjust line colors as necessary for your CNC software, and pay attention to multiple lines right on top of each other - that'll cause the laser to score or cut that same line once for each line in the CAD file. Ask me how I know :black_eyed:

Good luck!

jpot1

Elite member
The 30" wingspan was a little twitchy for me even with low rates. Has anyone blown this up - thinking 120% so the fuse will still fit on one sheet of foam. Would stick with a C pack motor but thinking the weight would tame things a bit. Thoughts?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
built the baron in just a few hours and have to say it was BY FAR the easiest, most accurate tiled plan i have ever assembled. good job!

anyways, flew it on sunday and it did well but i was swinging way to big a prop and started to cook the motor so the flight was cut short. i have a new 8x5 that i will run instead of the 10x4.5 and that will hopefully do the trick.

20170909_191716.jpg

laters,

jason ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nice looking Baron mrjdstewart! And thanks for the compliment on the plans. I'm happy to hear they worked well for you. Enjoy your Baron.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so i have flown this several times, each time trying something diff for props. seems to be kinda slow for what i was expecting.

i am using a turnigy 2826-1150kv and a 3S-2200mah. i have tried a 10x4.5 SF and it was not happy, went to a 8x5 SF and it was much happier as far as temps, but still underwhelming. next tried a 9x4.7 SF and it was a happy medium. next was a 9x5 E and was a little faster but still not what i was expecting.

are you guys running 3S or 4S in this thing? i had someone tell me they run a 6S. eek! :confused:

i think i will just stuff the emax 2215GT pod that i have in it this weekend and try again.

any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

jason ;)

jjohnson98

I had a lot of fun on this setup:
NTM Propdrive 28-26s 1200kV
APC 9x6E Prop
1300mAh 4S

1300mAh 3S was peppy but the 4S really turned on the juice.

Last edited:

TrentC

Part of your problem is that you are using strictly slow fly props. Try something like an APC 9x6 and that should pick it up a bit.