Bloody Baron - Build

Passworthy

Which shall it be?
Finished my Baron Saturday night, maidened it on Sunday. Flew 4 packs. In 10-15 mph wind. It is an awesome little plane. Probably 2 rolls/second, 180 degree turn in about 3 wingspans' width! After I pulled a couple of very tight loops, a fellow club member commented that cutting your own streamer doesn't count! :)
(My club is going to do some streamer combat, and the BB will be my "weapon". I have a feeling I will not enjoy fighting as much as just flying it around.)

Passworthy

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finished my Baron Saturday night, maidened it on Sunday. Flew 4 packs. In 10-15 mph wind. It is an awesome little plane. Probably 2 rolls/second, 180 degree turn in about 3 wingspans' width! After I pulled a couple of very tight loops, a fellow club member commented that cutting your own streamer doesn't count! :)
(My club is going to do some streamer combat, and the BB will be my "weapon". I have a feeling I will not enjoy fighting as much as just flying it around.)

Passworthy

Thanks for posting your experience here. Did you get the SBK or scratch build? Any chance you can post a picture or 2? pictures from you club combat would be awesome to see as well.

Passworthy

Which shall it be?
It was the speed build kit. In my hands, it was just a build kit, not much speed involved. :rolleyes:

I will snap a couple of pics and post tomorrow.

Combat hasn't happened yet. Hopefully someone will record that. Have to admit I'm a little nervous about it.

Passworthy

P.S. I probably overestimated the BB's roll rate, but it's more than 1/sec.

Passworthy

Which shall it be?
Here are some pics:

DSC017230003.JPG DSC017220002.JPG DSC017210001.JPG

Passworthy

Which shall it be?
Thanks. By the way, here's the equipment:

* GForce E400 2212-1250kv motor

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...outrunner-airplane/e400-1250kv-outrunner.html

* APC 8 x 4 prop, now a GWS 9 x 5 (haven't flown this yet)

* 3s 1000mah battery

* 30 amp ESC from long departed Hobbypeople EF-16 EDF

* Towerpro MG90S servos. I changed the location of the elevator servo, as you can see. Also used thicker rod for linkage.

http://www.towerpro.com.tw/product/mg90s-3/

* Spektrum AR400 rx

http://spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMAR400

Last edited:

donalson

*er I just noticed this is the baron not the brit page...* doh

I built mine, crashed it in some high winds with a hard nose in landing and then rebuilt it... got the re-maiden it today and it is an amazing flyer... high rates are zoom zoom and low rates are nice and smooth...

for my nose I killed it pretty bad... I ended up gluing together the walls and adding an outside doubler (tripler?) and some popcicle sticks to give it some strength... also added an extra layer up top after replacing the lower fold over and the original top.... all said she weighs in at 380g ready to fly minus lipo

IMG_1008.jpg IMG_1009.jpg IMG_1012.jpg IMG_1013.jpg IMG_1014.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 0

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Way to keep her flying. That's what it's all about. And when all the foam is used up in this one, you can build a new one. Love this material for that very reason. Keep on flying for a couple dollars and a few hours of your time.

*er I just noticed this is the baron not the brit page...* doh

I built mine, crashed it in some high winds with a hard nose in landing and then rebuilt it... got the re-maiden it today and it is an amazing flyer... high rates are zoom zoom and low rates are nice and smooth...

for my nose I killed it pretty bad... I ended up gluing together the walls and adding an outside doubler (tripler?) and some popcicle sticks to give it some strength... also added an extra layer up top after replacing the lower fold over and the original top.... all said she weighs in at 380g ready to fly minus lipo

donalson

i can say I'm really impressed with how resilient and easy to fix it is... i'm sure I would have walked away much earlier with the original bloody wonder fuselage... the front wing edges and nose seem to take all the beating and because of how the wings are built it just makes the wing tips a bit fatter... I def plan on having a bloody something in my quiver as long as I'm flying... although next time I'll prob do a full 4 channel...

so once again good plans spoonz :)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
i gotta ask about your spinner. i have printed 3 of them so far and all have died almost instantly upon spin up. the last one i printed in ABS, highest quality print the 3D printer could handle. it was beautiful and i thought for sure i had it whooped. it made it almost 1/2 way down the runway before catastrophic failure. what am i doing wrong?

thanks,

me ;)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
i gotta ask about your spinner. i have printed 3 of them so far and all have died almost instantly upon spin up. the last one i printed in ABS, highest quality print the 3D printer could handle. it was beautiful and i thought for sure i had it whooped. it made it almost 1/2 way down the runway before catastrophic failure. what am i doing wrong?

thanks,

me ;)

I make all of mine from PLA, and they are holding up fine. What settings are you printing with?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
If you use anything other than the Flite Test C Pack motor for your Baron/Brit/Wonder MkIII, please share with the group what your favorite power setup is, and what kind of flight times you are getting with it. Thanks.

My go to setup was: NTM Propdrive 2830 1100kv; 30 amp ESC; 2200 mAh 3S; APC 9 x 6 prop.
I usually get about 8 minutes of mixed flying with that setup.

danskis

Master member
I'm a little late to the party and this is my first post. Just started flying 9 months ago with a foam Bixler -> Versa Wing (1) fail -> Versa Wing (2) :<) - Spitfire :</ and now the Bloody Baron. Maiden on the Baron was sketchy with 15% Expo but after a lawn dart from 50 feet, a new prop and 30% expo made it fly great. I've developed a relatively crash proof firewall - bbq skewers in all for corners of the fuselage running back full lengths - similar to nerdnic's but use them full length. I also double the firewall and put popsicle sticks across the fuselage top and bottom. Had the Versa Wing fuselage go in from 100 with no damage. My Baron setup is a RCTimer 2830 (http://rctimer.com/?product-120.html) with a 9X6 prop - 1500 turnigy 35-70 C and a whole bunch of downthrust on my custom fuselage. I call it the Dreamsicle - I'll put a skin on the second one.
bloody baron.jpg
Flys awesome...Me likey!!!! I do have one minor problem in that it wags its tail sideways back and forth. I'm thinking my custom rudder may be a little small?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm a little late to the party and this is my first post. Just started flying 9 months ago with a foam Bixler -> Versa Wing (1) fail -> Versa Wing (2) :<) - Spitfire :</ and now the Bloody Baron. Maiden on the Baron was sketchy with 15% Expo but after a lawn dart from 50 feet, a new prop and 30% expo made it fly great. I've developed a relatively crash proof firewall - bbq skewers in all for corners of the fuselage running back full lengths - similar to nerdnic's but use them full length. I also double the firewall and put popsicle sticks across the fuselage top and bottom. Had the Versa Wing fuselage go in from 100 with no damage. My Baron setup is a RCTimer 2830 (http://rctimer.com/?product-120.html) with a 9X6 prop - 1500 turnigy 35-70 C and a whole bunch of downthrust on my custom fuselage. I call it the Dreamsicle - I'll put a skin on the second one. View attachment 148325 Flys awesome...Me likey!!!! I do have one minor problem in that it wags its tail sideways back and forth. I'm thinking my custom rudder may be a little small?

Nice work @danskis!

Marty72

Elite member
I'm dragging this old post back up. Bad weather and an extra C pack motor got me on this build. I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, so maybe I've reinvented the wheel, but I made a few minor changes based on the issue some folks had with getting the battery inside the fuse, with proper balance.
Sponz, this looks like a great design, super simple.
This is the simplest, fastest and yet still very sturdy scratch build I've done. I can see how this would be a great combat plane, not a lot of time invested in building, replacement is quick and easy. I eliminated the power pod and just built the firewall inside the Baron. This opens up all sorts of space. I read that the battery needs to be all the way forward to balance, so I went 3 channel (no rudder) and tried to put as much weight forward as possible during the build. I added a shelf on the underside to sit the battery on (with velcro) after finding the balance point. I'll tweak the shelf and velcro after the maiden as needed.

Specs FT C pack motor (2218 1180kv), 9x6 prop, 1300 or maybe 2200 battery. The plane AUW (w/o battery) is 367 grams.

I look forward to the maiden. I just rebuilt my Scout again, so it's been WW I week.

IMG_2858.JPG
IMG_2859.JPG
IMG_2864.JPG

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm dragging this old post back up. Bad weather and an extra C pack motor got me on this build. I haven't read all 22 pages of this thread, so maybe I've reinvented the wheel, but I made a few minor changes based on the issue some folks had with getting the battery inside the fuse, with proper balance.
Sponz, this looks like a great design, super simple.
This is the simplest, fastest and yet still very sturdy scratch build I've done. I can see how this would be a great combat plane, not a lot of time invested in building, replacement is quick and easy. I eliminated the power pod and just built the firewall inside the Baron. This opens up all sorts of space. I read that the battery needs to be all the way forward to balance, so I went 3 channel (no rudder) and tried to put as much weight forward as possible during the build. I added a shelf on the underside to sit the battery on (with velcro) after finding the balance point. I'll tweak the shelf and velcro after the maiden as needed.

Specs FT C pack motor (2218 1180kv), 9x6 prop, 1300 or maybe 2200 battery. The plane AUW (w/o battery) is 367 grams.

I look forward to the maiden. I just rebuilt my Scout again, so it's been WW I week.

View attachment 183140 View attachment 183141 View attachment 183138

Very clean looking build. Love the mods. Nice job! Good luck with the maiden.

Check out the SideWinder (link in signature) for the next generation combat plane in this series.

Marty72

Elite member
Very clean looking build. Love the mods. Nice job! Good luck with the maiden.

Check out the SideWinder (link in signature) for the next generation combat plane in this series.

Thanks! Yeah, just looked at the plans. Yep, definitely next generation, more refined. Looks like you made the cg more central and finished the plane with a bottom cover, firewall and a battery box. Wing area and weight nearly identical. Looks to be as easy if not easier to build due to all the straight lines when cutting. Do they fly different?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks! Yeah, just looked at the plans. Yep, definitely next generation, more refined. Looks like you made the cg more central and finished the plane with a bottom cover, firewall and a battery box. Wing area and weight nearly identical. Looks to be as easy if not easier to build due to all the straight lines when cutting. Do they fly different?

They fly very similar, intentionally. The Baron, Brit and SideWinder share about 80% of the same DNA. Wanted to keep them very close so that they are all equally matched in combat.