Cutting foam sheets... with a needle!

ironkane

Please call me IK or Steve. IronKane is great for gaming, not so much in a CNC forum thread ;)

I printed out a new cutter mount and fired it up. Sounds rough on the low end, but the sweet spot is somewhere around 3/4 throttle. I thought about what Jason was saying about the deflection to the right. It's actually the way it should look. When at 12:00, the needle is around 5 mm right of center. As it rotates CCW (tightening it's grip on the bearing) the needle moves towards center so you get that one sided deflection.
I threw my old paperless DTFB waste board underneath and ran the cutter like a scroll saw and the the results were excellent.

I picked up some M3 set screws to Locktite into the opposing motor mount holes. My plan is to start with the one 180 from the needle and spin it up and then try the other two holes as well. My hunch is 3 will be better than 1. Hopefully this will be all that I need to balance it.

Taking Wednesday off to work on the vacuum table and a laundry list of other details. If all goes well, maybe I'll even run some gcode. That is if I can figure out what's with my Estlcam. Documentation says it's not only compatible with xPro CNC controller, but it was on the list of new features for the latest version. But when I try to program the Estlcam CNC control, it crashes Estlcam. Maybe I need to use the 32 bit version?

Then it's on to designing/printing a mount for my 3.8W laser. And address the unique wiring issue that the laser driver presents.

The plotter pen mount should be simple after that.

ironkane

where can i buying these :
Mig Welding Gun and needle !
where website?

Harbor Freight has welding tips.
Spring wire for the needle: ACE Hardware or equivalent. Also know as music wire. R/C hobby shops. They use them for servo linkages.

After forming your needle, put it in a 500 degree oven for 15 minutes, then turn it off and let it cool naturally in the oven to anneal it.

Last edited:

bibbib

Ken234

Power

I forgot to ask but how are you guys powering the motors?I've read that people use a servo tester to control rpm but they aren't able to be powered by 12v?

dkj4linux

Elite member
I forgot to ask but how are you guys powering the motors?I've read that people use a servo tester to control rpm but they aren't able to be powered by 12v?

Ken,

Servo testers can be used to test/control motors as well as servos. In our application, the motor is connected to an ESC as it normally is. A fixed power source (12v power brick, etc) is then connected to the ESC in place of the battery. Finally, the ESC's throttle cable is plugged directly into a servo tester, which then serves as a speed control for the motor. The following video shows the basic hookup... the battery is normally replaced with a fixed power source.

-- David

ironkane

I took the day off yesterday and worked on making a vacuum table. Slots were cut with Dado set from Harbor Freight ($59.99). Material is 3/4" MDF and I had some 3/16" pegboard that I used to elevate the MDF panels above the vacuum table portion. I did so that when I place my DTFB onto the grid, that it's flush with the surrounding panels. All I have to do then is place a strip of blue painters tape to seal the edges. This is going to make replacing the waste board extremely easy.

On the facing edge, I have have a piece of 3/4" hardwood that I'm going to drill 3 hole to match the slots that I'll plumb the tubing for the vacuum supply. The MDF side panels will have white glue applied on the grid side prior to screwing them down. I used a forstner bit to counter bore the MDF for the lag screws. Then I drilled a pass through holes in the MDF because it's so damn fragile that I didn't want any stresses other than downward. I used #10 1-1/2" lath screws. These have a rubber washer and have a hex head that makes for an easy driving. All I'm looking for is to clamp the grid down flat.

Since this is going to be for a laser as well as needle cutter, I'm going to purchase a piece sheet metal that will function as the wasteboard that will be held down by vacuum as well.

If you choose to cut a vacuum grid out of MDF, make sure you can immediately screw it down to your work surface because with the removal of all that material (sawdust pile), the MDF will start warping pretty quickly.

I'll post some more pics when I finish.

Attachments

• VacTable1.png
    VacTable1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • VacTable2.png
    VacTable2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • VacTable3.png
    VacTable3.png
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • VacTable4.png
    VacTable4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

dkj4linux

Elite member
So has anyone produced a 3d Printed kit for those who do not have a 3d printer?

bigAL,

Please don't think the needle cutter needs to be 3d printed... it's such a simple build it can be built with common materials that you are comfortable working with. Strictly a DIY project, these cutters can take on many forms but all operate the same way.

My first were CPU fans,

38384=14778-11-05-11_1137.jpg

20180408_194045.jpg

wooden platforms

20120429_101418.jpg

20120429_084445.jpg

laser-cut plywood

20180408_200021.jpg

some are metal

20160506_100708.jpg

and, of course, there are myriad 3d printed ones sprinkled throughout this thread. Almost anything can be made to work... here is a small sampling of some test models

20180408_194152.jpg

I describe, in some detail and with pictures, a needle cutter built with common mousetraps from the dollar store back in some early posts in this thread... it's too short-bodied and needs to be made taller but otherwise it could be made to work nicely

20160505_111754.jpg

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24251-Cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle!&p=281558&viewfull=1#post281558

Even the latest improvements described in this thread -- taller bodies, pre-guides, and cotton-wad oiler -- can be added to virtually all these cutters without *any* additional moving parts. In use, particular care with selecting your feeds and speeds will have your needle cutter humming along, cutting your plane parts quickly and accurately.

-- David

Last edited:

bigALUSMC

Thank you sir.... for me it is all about neat and tidy. I was just hoping someone stepped up and produced a kit. I just found someone who offers a printing service.

Can you recommend a stout design file?

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Thank you sir.... for me it is all about neat and tidy. I was just hoping someone stepped up and produced a kit. I just found someone who offers a printing service.

You can order everything for the MPCNC here. Given that the support available from these folks is exceptional, I would recommend buying everything you can from them. You might be able to pinch a penny here or there. For the potential hassle that comes from trying to integrate parts from different sources, I would source everything form this site. That's my opinion of it.

https://vicious1-com.myshopify.com/

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor

If you are talking about just the needle cutter, I can print one for you.

Pick the one you want and let me know.

dkj4linux

Elite member
I may have misunderstood...

Are you talking of the CNC machine itself... or the needle cutter?

If CNC, Tommy has pointed you to the right place (new website name...https://www.v1engineering.com/) for the MPCNC. This is IMHO probably one of the fastest and most flexible, fun, and economical ways to get into CNC today. A lot of us here are using the MPCNC... and there's a gigantic worldwide community focused on this machine. Virtually everything you need to build one (less the conduit) can be purchased from the store and, with such a great following, support is just a question away in the forums. I recommend this approach highly if you are starting from the ground up.

Tell us more about your need and we'll do our best to help. The needle cutter's mounting method is one of the trickiest parts for the 3d printed versions if you want "neat and tidy"... so you really need to have an idea of the CNC tool mount method.

-- David

Last edited:

bigALUSMC

Looking for both. This will be my summer project for the kids and I. Working on my second simple scout.... I now have the bug. 1st one came out a little rough but the second is coming along nicely. Though I do not mind ordering build kits from FT... I do want the option of cutting out the parts that break or a whole build if need be. I will look into the vicious1 kit and see if I can get er' done. Thank you for the offer TEAJR66..... not sure which would be best right now as I am still researching which cnc machine to use. A place to put it in my garage is holding me up and the Acro laser machine sparked my interest again with the thought of adding a needle cutter (small, compact and simple to put together). I have a dremel but have yet to find an inexpensive way to use it. So many ways to get it done.... I just do not want to wast time and money on something I will not use or will not work. The MPCNC machine is the one I keep going back to as it will do both the dremel and needle cutter. It is just the thought of putting together has me a little hesitant.... but not guts no glory lol. Also thank you dkj4linux for all your help and insight! You are a great asset to the hobby!

Last edited:

ironkane

Looking for both. This will be my summer project for the kids and I. Working on my second simple scout.... I now have the bug. 1st one came out a little rough but the second is coming along nicely. Though I do not mind ordering build kits from FT... I do want the option of cutting out the parts that break or a whole build if need be. I will look into the vicious1 kit and see if I can get er' done. Thank you for the offer TEAJR66..... not sure which would be best right now as I am still researching which cnc machine to use. A place to put it in my garage is holding me up and the Acro laser machine sparked my interest again with the thought of adding a needle cutter (small, compact and simple to put together). I have a dremel but have yet to find an inexpensive way to use it. So many ways to get it done.... I just do not want to wast time and money on something I will not use or will not work. The MPCNC machine is the one I keep going back to as it will do both the dremel and needle cutter. It is just the thought of putting together has me a little hesitant.... but not guts no glory lol. Also thank you dkj4linux for all your help and insight! You are a great asset to the hobby!

Definitely do the research. MPCNC or OpenBuilds are great choices. Figure on a bench space of at least 40" x 30".

I really just wanted to chime in on the Dremel idea. From what I've read, it's not a great choice for routers. Not enough torque. Tendency to burn out. You'll be better off with something bigger. Unless all you're cutting is thin ply.

I would suggest starting off with a 3D printer though. Kids love them and you can make things you need. And it's just another CNC with a different tool so it's good place to learn CNC.

ironkane

bigAL,

Please don't think the needle cutter needs to be 3d printed... it's such a simple build it can be built with common materials that you are comfortable working with. Strictly a DIY project, these cutters can take on many forms but all operate the same way.

My first were CPU fans,

View attachment 105186

View attachment 105187

wooden platforms

View attachment 105188

View attachment 105189

laser-cut plywood

View attachment 105192

some are metal

View attachment 105191

and, of course, there are myriad 3d printed ones sprinkled throughout this thread. Almost anything can be made to work... here is a small sampling of some test models

View attachment 105193

I describe, in some detail and with pictures, a needle cutter built with common mousetraps from the dollar store back in some early posts in this thread... it's too short-bodied and needs to be made taller but otherwise it could be made to work nicely

View attachment 105194

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?24251-Cutting-foam-sheets-with-a-needle!&p=281558&viewfull=1#post281558

Even the latest improvements described in this thread -- taller bodies, pre-guides, and cotton-wad oiler -- can be added to virtually all these cutters without *any* additional moving parts. In use, particular care with selecting your feeds and speeds will have your needle cutter humming along, cutting your plane parts quickly and accurately.

-- David

I love the iterations. Especially the cooling fan. Mouse Trap is still the classic though.

Definitely do the research. MPCNC or OpenBuilds are great choices. Figure on a bench space of at least 40" x 30".
[...]
I would suggest starting off with a 3D printer though. Kids love them and you can make things you need. And it's just another CNC with a different tool so it's good place to learn CNC.

If I may, I'd suggest indeed going 3D Printer. But you can use an MPCNC as a "poor man's 3D Printer" if you've got sufficient Z height and the correct electronics + accessories (cough MK8 extruder cough)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:868983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amo8czFC75Y&feature=youtu.be
https://www.v1engineering.com/import-extruder/

I got inspired by this solution when I understood that my crappy wooden quasiCNC was too flexible to work well.
I used the extruder on it for my first 3D prints, and the parts for a dedicated 3D printer, which I then used to print the parts for a full MPCNC... which will be used to cut the parts for V2 of my 3D printer...