Dielectric gel on servo extension connections?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I use dielectric gel at work to seal connections on forklifts and also to protect exposed electrical terminals in high exposure applications. I need to install some servo extensions in my Tcraft wing and I was thinking about using some dielectric gel in the connections and then heat shrinking the connection as it will be permanently in the wing to prevent any corrosion. I know the best way would be to cut out the connection, then solder the wires together, but this would be a lot easier. Has anyone tried dielectric gel for this? This is what I use at work. https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-21030-Synthetic-Grease/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=pd_sbs_328_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000XBH9HI&pd_rd_r=596JG6S7CP2K4AFM60VH&pd_rd_w=yubal&pd_rd_wg=KgRyR&psc=1&refRID=596JG6S7CP2K4AFM60VH&dpID=31-xhQ8JfAL&preST=_SY445_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, I did some research tonight and it seems some giant scale guys use the dielectric grease for that exact application and also heat shrink the connection together. So, I am on the right track with my idea. Funny, they don't solder the wires because you can remove this connection easier for repairs or replacements.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
In my old job we used glue lined heatshrink for exactly that purpose and to seal the ends around small wires/cables we used pliers to crimp the ends whilst the heatshrink was still hot and the glue was still melted.

Worked a treat and less messy. Also cleaner when doing work in sensitive areas. just remove with a sharp knife and peal action when it is time to remove it.

What worked for me!

Have fun!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
NHK,

I picked up an old BoT last year with spoilers in the wings. A carefully scratch-built airframe (not kit built) in decent condition for her age, but the servos in the wings were acting flakey. HS-55's, so not cheap servos, but I counted the behavior due to age. When extracting them, found out the builder had done just this to extend the servo wire 6" and the twisted wire joints had loosened over time -- heat cycles, wing flex, tugging to connect and the like. Servos were fine.

I'd place even odds that this is why I now own this airplane ("huh. Spoiler servos are going out.". Back in the hangar it goes until it's sold for disuse). I can see merits for crip vs. solder -- each having it's place -- but twist and shrink? In a vibration environment where the wires might get tugged on? Not in my planes.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Eeeh gads, never twist and shrink, I have seen that done so many times on forklifts with guys taking shortcuts and it doesnt last long, especially in a dynamic application. In home construction twisted wires are used widely, but homes dont move much.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
This is what Im going to do, apply a small amount of dielectric gel to the servo plug then plug it into the exrension, then heat shrink together. I got this pic off of a giant scale guys post talking about dielectric gel. They say that even gold connectors can have a micro corrosion type of problem over time due to cheap plating and porus materials along with vibration, heat, and stress at the plug, so the dielectric grease helps prevent this.

IMG_3244.PNG

In the flight test build videos Josh has you tape the plugs together with packing tape, I actually had one of my Storch planes crash because the connection came apart and the tape did not hold. I dont know why I never thought of heat shrinking them before, but Im going through all my planes and doing it now.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
I use Dielectric grease any time there is a chance of moisture with electronics works great

Piotrsko

Master member
To my knowledge, I never had a connector unplug unless the servo was more than 3ft away from the fuselage after the crash. Tying a square knot as strain relief then plug the two ends together, a twisty tie holding the two connectors tight,,,, eventually one of those is going to be removed and imho, easy is better

WillL84

To my knowledge, I never had a connector unplug unless the servo was more than 3ft away from the fuselage after the crash. Tying a square knot as strain relief then plug the two ends together, a twisty tie holding the two connectors tight,,,, eventually one of those is going to be removed and imho, easy is better

This thread is 5 years old and the comment before yours is just spam lol

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It looked like spam, I actually don't use gel anymore on connections, just connect and heat shrink, that way it holds well and is easy to remove with a razor blade.