Fall Build-a-Long Mountain Models MercurE Mini Sponsored by Rockyboy

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
2017/2018 Build-a-Long Mountain Models MercurE Mini Sponsored by Rockyboy

First off, I need to thank Rockyboy for his generosity. I have been wanting to get into the balsa side of aviation since I read a thread in this sub-forum. He heard my plea when I missed an opportunity at a sailplane kit. so, he decides, "ya know? I'm gonna make this kid's month!" and sent me the kit, electronics, and covering for this plane. WOW! needless to say I was astounded and I can't wait for November first!

Here's the box:
Boxed.jpg

Here's the box empty:
Unboxed.jpg

Here's the kit:
MM MercurE.jpg

and last but not least, here are the electronics:
Electronics.jpg

You've created a new addict, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I will confess, I opened the bag and gawked at the balsa for like a half hour. I have a tiny (like 3/8) rubber wheel and after looking over the plans and instructions I think I'm going to be making the "steerable" tail skid into a steerable tail wheel. I don't think it'll add too much tail weight. the other thing I am concerned about is the small diameter of the tires. I guess this'll be an asphalt and astroturf queen then. don't wanna nose over this guy.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very happy to be an enabler :p, and a sponsor of this build! It's a lovely little kit from Brian at Mountain Models and everything of his that I've opened up so far looks great too.

You'll still need to pickup a little battery for this; he recommends a 2S-300 to 2S-360. I included the battery side mate to the XT-30 connector on the ESC - when soldering the new plug onto the battery, remember to do one lead at a time. Doing both at once will end up with some interesting sparks when a wire gets bumped. Ask me how I know. :black_eyed:

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
yeah, I had to do that for my pietenpol. it had a jst connector on it, and I prefer the xt series.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Building with foam and balsa, using Taranis radios, xt connectors... you're on the right path into the hobby as far as I'm concerned :p

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
the qx-7 is an awesome radio. bit of a learning curve, but I was able to figure out most things by trial and error.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I have begun the build!

Here's my work spot:

Plans.JPG

I encountered an issue here, as when lined up (as according to the plans) there was some lite ply blocking where the former locks into the fuselage.

Doesn_t fit.JPG

I was able to get that out of there with an X-acto knife (after checking through the entirety of the plans, making sure that I wasn't setting myself up for failure later on) and was met with a happy surprise!

Fuse 1.JPG

that was nice and square, so I continued with the build.

Fuse 2.JPG

now, this next part gave me some trouble. I was intending to use magnets on this build, hence the steel plate on my desk, but I couldn't figure out how to do that here! so I instead just pinned it with some sewing pins after trying (unsuccessfully) to clamp it with my hands. so here we sit, waiting for the glue to dry.

Pins.JPG

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I ought to add: I am using Titebond II instead of CA glue. Is this gonna be a problem?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You're off to a great start! Classic Titebond II is a great glue for balsa & ply - I like that it reinforces plenty of time to think about what you're doing while building. Sometimes when the CA gets flowing the parts start flying together, and then bam! You've either glued something in backwards, or it's glued front wards to your hand. :black_eyed:

jsknockoff

Mentor
Yeah Titebond II is or Elmer’s wood glue is what I use on as many joints as possible. Saved me from countless redo’s!

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Alright, sorry for the lack of progress. School got in the way, but I made progress last night, the Fuse is almost done. I'll post pictures later, but I love how it's coming together.

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Alright, here it is. I was mostly concerned with making progress, but I did manage to get some pictures nearing the end. I've been using plain titebond II, but with a little spatula made of a toothpick with the point clipped off and shaved flat. that thing holds a lot of glue on it, but the balsa holds more. :p

I discovered that a sheet of foamboard makes an excellent background for the pictures, so that's fun.

this is the fuselage in it's current state, minus the scotch tape, which by the way, makes an excellent clamp for convex curves. the sheeting didn't turn out quite like I'd hoped, but I'm not complaining, it's decent for a first try. I used too dull an Xacto knife to cut the sheet, making the edge a little jagged, but a little titebond fills the gap fine.
IMG_5793.JPG

another view:
IMG_5792.JPG

yet another view!
IMG_5791.JPG

push rod sleeves exiting the fuse. I plan on trimming the excess once it's time to install the actual rods, but for now they can stand proud.
IMG_5787.JPG

The fully strung fuselage. this was a really fun step, because the fuselage looked more and more like an airplane each time I added a stringer.
IMG_5785.JPG

The top of the hatch with all of it's stringers. this was also satisfying to build, and I really like the design of it's retention system.
IMG_5789.JPG

All the formers installed, getting ready for sheeting.
IMG_5781.JPG

The underside of the hatch. this shows the mechanism, with the little hooks that slide onto the fuselage and the magnet that holds it secure.
IMG_5790.JPG

The blank for the belly of the airplane. I get to sand this to shape and make it look like an airplane. Should be fun! as Joker says, "Balsa dust is a wonderful thing, make some today!"
IMG_5788.JPG

Don't wanna forget this step, if you don't cross your push rods you're gonna be in for a bad time.
IMG_5786.JPG

The bottom of the fuselage being glued. I reverted to pins as this airplane doesn't really lend its self to magnets unless you have a clamp that magnets to the board or something, but I don't have those, so I did it the old fashioned way. I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it is to pin balsa to balsa as opposed to lite ply to balsa. Would recommend.
IMG_5782.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5783.JPG
    IMG_5783.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5784.JPG
    IMG_5784.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Thanks, it's been a fun ride so far, and progress has been smooth. (except when I get impatient and glue something wrong or break a tab off)