Flite Fest 2016 World Record

TomChambers

Well Done !!!!!

Well Done to all the participants... Was watching Via Periscope Here in the UK!!!

Well done on an excellently organised event and Fingers crossed World Record Breakers!!!!!

Regards

Tom

97tj-neil

It was really cool to be a part of this (as a spotter for my son, cvdmaverick). Thanks Dharanflyer for organizing this.

Here is a picture of his plane at take off.

bc4ee349-90b8-47ad-9483-7979d1dfbb3e_zpsexjc6ipv.jpg

And 2 views of the flight line during the attempt.

21C2C072-479F-4552-A4E5-038D1569C35A_zpsdrpentzi.jpg

938ABC89-7614-4E04-A63A-201DA526484A_zpsgzkvaxew.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Finally got my video out of the cameras and up on Youtube. Here is the ground video, taken by my wife. The onboard video is still processing - standby. You can see my Raiden take off from right to left just after the announcer calls out the launch of "Flight 3"

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Onboard video finally uploaded!

There were several close-calls that definitely surprised me. Depth perception from the ground is incredibly deceiving. :)

Spitfire222

Not a skater
Great videos guys, thanks for sharing! I'm pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to survive the attempt. I was flying my Nutball with a Spektrum AR400 receiver using my DX7G2, and I browned-out a few seconds after take off. Anyone have any idea what could have been done to prevent that? :(

I saw a local news report stating that the unofficial count was 159 instead of the 179 I mentioned above. Can anyone that was there confirm what the announcement over the PA system was? Did I mishear 179, or did the news crew get the incorrect number?

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I didn't fly as there were more than enough planes, but I was glad to have helped as a time keeper. Thanks Michael and Jonathon for all the hard work setting this up. Dharanflyer/Michael was also a great MC and announcer in addition to being the event coordinator. Sorry my first draft of the essay assignment wasn't good enough ;)

I also want to add that it was great working with Michael and Jonathan at the entrance to ftff as parking volunteers on the first full day for the mid afternoon shift in the hot Sun. They were also stellar in that role and I was amazed to learn that this was the first major rc event you've ever attended!

Last edited:

DharanFlyer

We had 159 when I talked with the paper. When the five stewards re-checked my count they got 179.

So the 179 is the official number being submitted to GWR.

All of the videos and pictures are great! Please keep them coming so I can include them to GWR to help cement our proof and get it officalized.

Also, thank you EVERYONE who helped and who participated. Was an amazing sight to see.

Spitfire222

Not a skater
I heard 179.

Ok good, I'm glad I didn't report an incorrect number!

Is this the same newspaper article that said Flite Test was started by Chad Kapper, Josh Bixler, and _John_ Scott? And that the slogan is "entertaining, education, and evaluating the world of flight"? LOL

What are the chances that they got the number of planes correct?

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20160716/flite-test-event-puts-159-radio-planes-in-air-at-once

Whatever the exact number, we certainly beat the record and I'm thrilled to have been a part of it! :D

Good point! And you're right, whether it's 159 or 179, the record was broken by a lot. :)

Jimmyp

Here is a video from Group 4. I went up high with my versa wing and started my victory dance at around 2.18 mins. We really got all those planes in the air quickly. From first launch to beating the record in 2:18.

earthsciteach

Is there any way that you can tell me my number, Mike? I'm pretty sure I was in the 140's and was in flight 4. Thanks!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
"We are the champions, my friends
And we'll keep on fighting 'til the end
We are the champions, We are the champions
No time for losers 'cause we are the champions of the Guinness Book of World Records!"

Congrats to all 300 who attempted the record!
#181/Successful Flight. :)

DharanFlyer

I didn't fly as there were more than enough planes, but I was glad to have helped as a time keeper. Thanks Michael and Jonathon for all the hard work setting this up. Dharanflyer/Michael was also a great MC and announcer in addition to being the event coordinator. Sorry my first draft of the essay assignment wasn't good enough ;)

I also want to add that it was great working with Michael and Jonathan at the entrance to ftff as parking volunteers on the first full day for the mid afternoon shift in the hot Sun. They were also stellar in that role and I was amazed to learn that this was the first major rc event you've ever attended!

That was mostly due to failure in clear instruction on my side.

Thanks for the help again makattack!

DharanFlyer

Is there any way that you can tell me my number, Mike? I'm pretty sure I was in the 140's and was in flight 4. Thanks!

Patrick -

I can. You are not on the spread sheet so I have to dig through the paper sheets. I will get it out to you soon. I will get everyone's up so they have it.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Great videos guys, thanks for sharing! I'm pretty disappointed that I wasn't able to survive the attempt. I was flying my Nutball with a Spektrum AR400 receiver using my DX7G2, and I browned-out a few seconds after take off. Anyone have any idea what could have been done to prevent that? :(

Not fly with 300 other transmitters on. ;)

Kidding aside.
Sorry yours didn't make it but the attempt was on a huge scale and at least you were there!

Mine too did lose signal unfortunately while landing and luckily no one was hurt, as it was already gliding slowly toward the runway before coming into the area the pilots were standing.

Here is what I checked before our successful attempt with a FT Tiny Trainer and Lemon DSMX.

• Fully charged Tx batteries
  • Properly placed Rx antennas - 90 degrees to each other, outside of the plane and not near other electronics
  • A plane the glides without power (perfect CG) so when the brown out occurs it doesn't nose into the ground and gives a chance for recovery.
  • Failsafe to set controls in a position to maintain a course - Ex. slight up elevator, slight left rudder and zero throttle.

There is a blurb on an old FT forum post here you can read about DSM2 and DSMX