Flite Fest 2016 World Record

Mach60

I'm in...Aircraft undetermined but it will be controlled with a Taranis using ACCST. I'm thinking a slow stick or an FT Sportster.

Woo Hoo! Lets break some records...who's supplying the records?:confused:

I think I'd like to join in on this.

Radio: FrSky Taranis X9D Plus (ACCST)

Aircraft: FT Explorer XXL (2 meter wing mod -- can launch early, and stay above the fray at high altitude for the duration)... can also fly an FPV nose on this aircraft.

A suggestion would be to launch in order of altitude and flight duration capabilities -- say, High/mid/low... and then orbit the field in the same direction to avoid collisions. Launch and set up the high-altitude long-duration aircraft first, and get them orbiting in a "stable" pattern. Then repeat for the mid-level planes, then the low.

I'd kick in an extra $7 to be part of this!

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'm already in on the Gotha Gaggle, so I'm definitely in for this too. Radio is FrSky TaranisPlus (ACCST). Plane is either BabyBrit or A-4 Skyhawk (depends on who is still flying by the attempt) :cool:

DharanFlyer

A suggestion would be to launch in order of altitude and flight duration capabilities -- say, High/mid/low... and then orbit the field in the same direction to avoid collisions. Launch and set up the high-altitude long-duration aircraft first, and get them orbiting in a "stable" pattern. Then repeat for the mid-level planes, then the low.

I'd kick in an extra $7 to be part of this!

That is currently the plan. I think it is one or two pages back. Four flights each broken out by altitude and endurance. Sometime this week I am going to try and work up some diagrams of the plans and how to utilize the flight line for the attempt.

Good to hear - I am hoping no one has to chip in money, but we will see how it goes.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Flite Test is in! Austin definitely wants to participate in the attempt and said the other guys would love to as well if they are available. Austin is going to include information about it in the next email update for registered pilots. That should give us a huge boost in getting the numbers that we need to pull this off.

I think the next thing we need to do, is decide the date and time that we are going to attempt to beat the record. The sooner we get that nailed down the better.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Something else to consider . . . Signal density.

Spreading the wealth among different protocols won't actually reduce the signal density since they all compete for the same bandwidth (although it gives us a chance to warn someone using a weaker protocol to fly something big and pretty . . . Wilsonman), however spreading pilots along the flight line and keeping the planes closer to the corresponding pilots will reduce the density quite a bit.

We also have to take the neighbors into consideration.

To the east is a populated neighborhood (which is on good terms with the Furey's -- let's strive to keep it that way ;) ) so I'd propose the 4 groups be spread more-or-less along at most 4/5ths the flight line (peanut butter spread or gaggles of pilots? I lean toward gaggles). with the LOWEST altitude CLOSEST to the neighborhood but with at least a 1/5th of the field empty for buffer -- the lower the altitude the less likely a rogue airframe (very likely) will glide into the neighborhood.

DharanFlyer

Flite Test is in! Austin definitely wants to participate in the attempt and said the other guys would love to as well if they are available. Austin is going to include information about it in the next email update for registered pilots. That should give us a huge boost in getting the numbers that we need to pull this off.

I think the next thing we need to do, is decide the date and time that we are going to attempt to beat the record. The sooner we get that nailed down the better.

Fantastic! Not to mention how cool it is that they are in.

Do they want to provide a time/day that slots into the overall plans, or are they good with us picking a time during the open fly to make the attempt?

DharanFlyer

Something else to consider . . . Signal density.

Spreading the wealth among different protocols won't actually reduce the signal density since they all compete for the same bandwidth (although it gives us a chance to warn someone using a weaker protocol to fly something big and pretty . . . Wilsonman), however spreading pilots along the flight line and keeping the planes closer to the corresponding pilots will reduce the density quite a bit.

We also have to take the neighbors into consideration.

To the east is a populated neighborhood (which is on good terms with the Furey's -- let's strive to keep it that way ;) ) so I'd propose the 4 groups be spread more-or-less along at most 4/5ths the flight line (peanut butter spread or gaggles of pilots? I lean toward gaggles). with the LOWEST altitude CLOSEST to the neighborhood but with at least a 1/5th of the field empty for buffer -- the lower the altitude the less likely a rogue airframe (very likely) will glide into the neighborhood.

Craftydan - duly noted.

Is the infamous pump located east by the neighborhood or opposite it to the west? Will we need to cut off both ends of the field to account for both items?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor

I think this is a no-brainer.

Saturday, Noon. Should be the peak of the event attendance, so we have the most interested/available pilots and the biggest audience to see it.

Only reason to try it any earlier is to have a chance to reattempt due to weather.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Craftydan - duly noted.

Is the infamous pump located east by the neighborhood or opposite it to the west? Will we need to cut off both ends of the field to account for both items?

Pooooosibly. I don't really have a good feel for how much closer we are to the pump, but in past the radio link has been pretty far away form the pump.

RF spreads with a square of distance -- twice as close means 4 times the signal strength. If the planes closest to the pump are closest to their TX's (because they're flying lower and closer) the pump may not have the lock-out effect it's notorious for. It's reputation has been earned, but it was earned mostly by airframes flying CLOSE to the pump. It's a real FPV trap -- magnet-like interesting thing I want to fly close to . . . and your RX gets blinded to the faint-far away TX as it gets close.

DharanFlyer

Another piece to add to the planning puzzle is the proof.

GWR (Guinness World Records) will provide the exact details of the proof they will require when the attempt is approved - but I would imagine there is going to be a piece that is video related. If we get everyone hundreds of yards apart it may be difficult to capture proof showing everyone remaining airborne for the full minute.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I think this is a no-brainer.

Saturday, Noon. Should be the peak of the event attendance, so we have the most interested/available pilots and the biggest audience to see it.

Only reason to try it any earlier is to have a chance to reattempt due to weather.

That sounds like a winner to me. The current event schedule is open at that time. My only concern is that they may have some noon-time demos planned that are not on the schedule. However, I'm working with Austin to get us on the official schedule. If they have plans at that time, I'm sure they will let us know before this gets added to the schedule.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
That's why I lean Gaggle, not peanut butter spread.

If everyone is bunched into groups of 25-50 pilots each group can have a tally person verifying from the start buzzer how many remained airborn for the full minute, and we only have 25-50 radios screaming at each other.

Keep in mind, successful mass launches on their own take time. Perhaps staggering the groups along the field 1, 3, 2, 4 may be better, allowing the larger groups a bit more overlap on their launch windows without sharing the same stretch of runway.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'm sure they've got an idea about proof... I would think a few representative/spotters watching specific areas; count the pilots/planes before launch, and once planes are in the air they just need to count the ones that come down before the minute is up.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Okay, so sounds like Austin is in agreement with Saturday being the busiest day. We should also have a backup rain date. Maybe Friday?

DharanFlyer

Okay, so sounds like Austin is in agreement with Saturday being the busiest day. We should also have a backup rain date. Maybe Friday?

Think it has to be. Sunday event is down and Thursday will be the lowest attendance logically (work commitments etc).