Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Umm, did I miss something? Help a brother out.
“Overstreet has become the “community” Josh is looking for” was a quote by someone here. He seems to always design something as soon as somebody else does, and he’s getting all the attention and praise from the FT guys. There are a lot of top notch designers, but with overstreet “hogging” all the planes like he does, FT has no incentive to work with people like @Grifflyer @Apple Pie @BATTLEAXE and @chris398mx (just to name afew) to kit their awesome designs. Not trying to spread bad things about Overstreet, but I do have some concerns about the way he’s doing things...

“Overstreet has become the “community” Josh is looking for” was a quote by someone here. He seems to always design something as soon as somebody else does, and he’s getting all the attention and praise from the FT guys. There are a lot of top notch designers, but with overstreet “hogging” all the planes like he does, FT has no incentive to work with people like @Grifflyer @Apple Pie @BATTLEAXE and @chris398mx (just to name afew) to kit their awesome designs. Not trying to spread bad things about Overstreet, but I do have some concerns about the way he’s doing things...
That's kind of funny - As soon as I built my little trainer based around the vintage Stik planes I started seeing all these references and mentions of YOUR Stick! Now there's sticks all over the place. "FT Unofficial Stick", soon-to-be-released Stick... When somebody says bear, suddenly there's a bear in every shadow and around every corner.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There are a lot of great designs, past, present and future coming from FT. If it wasn't for them to find a medium to create and learn, sure someone else could have done it at some point, but they made all this possible. This forum is for the people, and if it didn't exist, we wouldn't be able to share our designs world wide. The best part is that for us in the forum now and for people who are yet to join, we have these resources and knowledge available on a very user friendly format. For that I thank FT.

OliverW

Legendary member
That's kind of funny - As soon as I built my little trainer based around the vintage Stik planes I started seeing all these references and mentions of YOUR Stick! Now there's sticks all over the place. "FT Unofficial Stick", soon-to-be-released Stick... When somebody says bear, suddenly there's a bear in every shadow and around every corner.
Hangars stick was released in March. I talked with bixler through one of FT's live streams and he said that they took inspiration from hangars stick and that the stick is well known etc

Hangars stick was released in March. I talked with bixler through one of FT's live streams and he said that they took inspiration from hangars stick and that the stick is well known etc
Sure, that's fine. I guess it'll happen. And my idea of using the Stik idea as inspiration was an original thought. I don't believe I was aware of anyone else doing such a thing these days. I was mostly seeing jets and Master Series. I wanted a clean simple no-brainer easy flyer. And my Clancey Bee inspiration was an original thought. Then I was shouting "Bee" all over the place. Then Vimana89 built a pusher Bee. And my MesserBee still needs a bit of modification before it'll fly right. Did I put Bee in Vimana89's ear? I dunno. If so, that's kinda cool. If it was his own original thought, that's awesome too.

Just playing devil's advocate, that's all. If someone's ripping off someone else's ideas, that's not so cool. For me, if someone sees my build and decides to do the same but better, I'll be honored.

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal. Bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different.” - T.S. Eliot

This is still the best platform and the best community for this thing we do. Can't argue that.

Here's an idea. If you want to be famous for your designs, call the Bixler, tell him you've got something hot in the works. Cut a deal so you get all the credit and he can profit from it however he wants.

Nothing's personal here - I'm not even sure who I'm talking to right now.

Between friends. ;)

Tench745

Master member
Without the paragraph to read
1st Challenge starts now
-General aviation planes
-Pre 1980 Warbirds
•Judged on pictures of your build process. For how well it assembles
•Looks (lo poly and boxy planes will be considered for what they are we don’t expect everyone to make a master series and honestly, master series planes are too complex for most to build)
•How well it flies via a video
Attempt a few maneuvers like stalls, loops, really show what your airframe is, or isn’t capable of scale flying is cool too

Would this qualify?
Build Thread
Plans
230478_2d891c23bb9643dda1dd0b178a8ea558.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
One thing I'd like to point out is that it seems like very few of Overstreet's designs will actually be released by ft. Most of what he builds is for his own personal enjoyment, just like us.
I would be totally fine with that except it seems that he wants to release them all through ft since he never posts plans for them. They were going to release the big-109 “very soon” and that was before they even released the spitfire. When I started the thread on the T-28 he suddenly posted a bunch of pics on the forums and social media. It felt like he was trying to intimidate me into stopping designing mine. When I asked him when it was going to be released he said it was in the very near future, and that was a couple months ago. Now many other planes seem to be dominating his posts... I first felt honored that he was taking interest in my design and that I was inspiring him, but as I’ve seen the “copying” again and again, it feels kinda like bullying to me... :confused:

I would be totally fine with that except it seems that he wants to release them all through ft since he never posts plans for them. They were going to release the big-109 “very soon” and that was before they even released the spitfire. When I started the thread on the T-28 he suddenly posted a bunch of pics on the forums and social media. It felt like he was trying to intimidate me into stopping designing mine. When I asked him when it was going to be released he said it was in the very near future, and that was a couple months ago. Now many other planes seem to be dominating his posts... I first felt honored that he was taking interest in my design and that I was inspiring him, but as I’ve seen the “copying” again and again, it feels kinda like bullying to me... :confused:
You might be right, it seems a pattern may have developed.
Well he IS under contract with FT, isn't he? Not to steal plans, but to be their most valuable developer.

The way you describe it I bet I would feel bullied too. I'd love to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure no one has evil intentions. But some toes might be getting stepped on. Hell, judging from the videos he's already built one of everything. Maybe when he gets a new idea he dives right in...

Well after all this open discussion the issue might become a little more of a rare occurrence. I suppose.

Ranger_107

Elite member
Maybe we should all jump in and have a "build whatever he's building but better" build challenge where we pick a plane from his insta and try to outdo him
Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes-Maybe we should all jump in and have a "build whatever he's building but better" build challenge where we pick a plane from his insta and try to outdo him-

1596254910273.png

Last edited:

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Alright this thread wasnt supposed to be name dropping and bashing people in FT’s wheelhouse but yes my two cents is it appears as if John is trying to smother builders in the community by duplicating or playing off their ideas. For example as soon as @MiniacRC and @Grifflyer ‘s minis started blowing up we started seeing Johns minis that just so magically happened to appear. This takes away from the credit the actual revolutionary builders on here deserve since Griff put ungodly amounts of time into designing his mini spit and 109 and since John is covering it up with his minis itll be like Griff’s never even existed like how everyone forgot about the Niez family and their master series planes that were in development way before John came along

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member