FT Spitfire Build

jpot1

Elite member
Just finished. Ready for maiden today. Trying the Ross foam board for the first time.

image.jpeg

TimJim

Heavy foam motor choice

Hi all,

Finished mine last week and waiting to order power system, just not sure what to go for! This thing weighs just over 400g with no electronics so I'm expecting AUW to be about 750g with a 2200mAh battery.

I was planning on putting a park 450 1200kv motor in it. This is rated at 800g thrust on a sensible prop. As this is my first larger plane after the tiny trainer (which had less than 1:1 power/weight), I'm not sure if this will be enough for fun sport flying.

Please bless me with your wisdom!

Tim

image.jpeg

Hack73

Hi all,

Finished mine last week and waiting to order power system, just not sure what to go for! This thing weighs just over 400g with no electronics so I'm expecting AUW to be about 750g with a 2200mAh battery.

I was planning on putting a park 450 1200kv motor in it. This is rated at 800g thrust on a sensible prop. As this is my first larger plane after the tiny trainer (which had less than 1:1 power/weight), I'm not sure if this will be enough for fun sport flying.

Please bless me with your wisdom!

Tim

View attachment 70727

Really nice paint job. Did you use minwax before painting and what paint did you use?

TimJim

Really nice paint job. Did you use minwax before painting and what paint did you use?

Thanks mate,

This is UK foamboard which has a gloss finish - I think it's closer to Adams foamboard than the DollarTree stuff.
The paint is all Revell aquacolour applied with an airbrush (just thinned with distilled water). One small pot of each colour was plenty.

It wasn't minwaxed but it dot get quite a few coats of Revell matte clear before and after the paint.

T

Art Lane

Foamy Flyer 1
Canadian Pilots

Hi JT
Well, as I said, it was nice to see a Spit with JJ's colors, but remember, all, British, American, Australian, and Canadians were in that great battle of Britian.
I just happened to pick Douglas Baders' plane as I got real interested in his story "Reach for the Sky".... Have watched it several times now, shucks, Black n White but still very interesting..
Watched some of the "Fly Over" yesterday in London England, the Queens B'Day celebration... First to fly over was the Helis then, low and behold, a Spitfire and Hurricane made the second pass..... Love these history reshoots..
Anyway, did get out last week with my 55" Spit and it flew flawlessly, had 4 good flights and wore out my lipos... Even got a video of a short flight and now can't find were I saved the stupid thing.... If I can locate it I'll attach to this blog...
Like your video, sans the nose in, heck rebuild and fly again.... along with your new one....
Thanks for the chat..
Art.

Frits37

Nothing to do with the FT Spitfire, but a great new Spitfire book by John Dibbs with awesome photography. It hit the shelves a few weeks ago. A must have, in my humble opinion:

51%2BRjjTya6L._SX418_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Greenjeans

Tim

I have no way of weighing mine, but is probably pretty close to your setup. Actually, might weight less since is not painted. I use a

Suppo 2217/7 (28-33) 1250kv park-425-equiv, 9 x 4.7 prop, 2200mAh

Goes vertical just fine and when the power is shut down it glides pretty nice. I would guess a park 450 would be a good performer too.

Last edited:

Liv2ride

That looks fantastic Kulens, You'll enjoy it, one of my more enjoyable ft planes, so floaty, but agile when you need it to be.

Here's a nice picture showing the beautiful curves of this plane :)

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

TimJim

Cheers Greenjeans,

Didn't got notified of your response but just picked it up. Think I'm looking at a turnigy d3530 1100 kV (need the nose weight anyway) which should give near enough the same output as the parks are all out of stock. D'oh!

Thanks again.

jpot1

Elite member
Maiden today and flew pretty well. Had to add weight to the nose to get everything to balance. Looking to add a spinner and looking for suggestions. I am currently using a Turnigy d2836/6 with a 10x6 prop. Any ideas for something I can pick up from Hobbyking as I am planning an order soon. Same question on wheels, what size/brand are people using? Thx!

image.jpeg

Strix

This thread has the best looking planes, by far!!

Here's my latest FT Spitfire, serial number 005.

Planning to have the maiden flight at Furey Field later this week.

IMG_20160709_174903401_HDR.jpg

Goose

Got a problem with my spitfire. Flew the unsuccessful maiden today and kept on flying right all the time and rolling. I had to hold it hard left Aileron and left rudder to even fly a little left. Landed it into a tree, made some adjustment and flew again. Now doing a major repair but I would like to know why it's doing this. Maybe thrust angle?? It was a FT kit. 2200 battery with a turnigy 28/36 1100 motor 10x 4.7 prop. Any ideas??

Last edited:

corytee

FoamBoard Fragment Distro
This plane flies great with a Suppo BL-2814/6 motor and 4 blade prop. It's a good deal heavier though with the larger motor & ESC so landing it is sort of like landing a falling tree.

Spitfire.jpg

corytee

FoamBoard Fragment Distro
Goose, I think he is asking if you glued the starboard side of the pod/firewall, or maybe not :confused:. For what it's worth, I had the same issue (opposite direction of rotation) with this 80% Spitfire. I started out with an angled power pod and 450 class motor. It had minimal torque roll but was manageable at speed. I only had one successful flight with it, and wrecked it because it was so heavy. I downsized the motor/ESC to reduce weight and built a straight power pod for it. It never flew straight again. An angled pod definitely helps with torque roll, but it sounds like your plane is rolling with the motor, not against it. Is your motor CW or CCW?

Camo Spit.jpg

Last edited:

Goose

The standard CCW. It was a FT kit so the power pod will only go one way, but I'm pretty sure there is no torque angle in the kit, but it will double check. I'm thinking of just building a new fuselage due to all the damage, and I really don't like the FT foamboard. The stuff I get in Australia do sent have the paper peeling problem that my kit is having, really annoying!!