FTFF 2015 Build Zone Vision

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SPONZ, If you like I can provide printouts of plans for you to cut at the event. The paper I have is VERY heavy weight. That way you can save your own templates. My printer has been able to accommodate every FT plan so far. Some are much longer than others but with 300' rolls at my disposal I'm happy to pitch in to get builders getting more into scratch building.

That would be another great option. I know someone last year took requests and had printed plans available at Flite Fest 2014.

I don't mind if my templates get beat up, destroyed, or lost at Flite Fest 2015 though. If it helps one or two people get the same satisfaction out of scratch building that I get, then to me it's worth it. I can always make new templates. Some of my earlier templates could use replacing anyway.

I think for the printed full-size plans, and templates, it would be good to know what you guys think the most popular planes will be. For those that worked in the build zone last year, what were the most popular builds?

Here is my guess in order of popularity for builds for 2015:
  • Tiny Trainer
  • Flyer
  • Guinea Pig
  • Mini Guinea
  • Peter's Mini Fold Wing Plane
  • Storch
  • Nutball
  • Mini Scout
  • Mustang
  • Spitfire
  • Shinden

I think it would be pretty informative to keep a record of what gets built over the course of the event too. We could get stats on SBK's, scratch built FT designs, other scratch builds etc. Might help with planning for following years. Not trying to make any extra work for the volunteers, but I think it would be good info to have.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Another thought...

I think it would be helpful for builders to have a reference model (for the FT SBK's) available for people to use as a reference. FT had them in the FT tent last year. I think it could work with just the bare foam airframe.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Does anyone know if Flite Test will have some inventory of FTFB (Flite Test Foam Board) that they will be selling at Flite Fest? Based on what I saw last year, I think that there will be a demand for it in the build tent. For more selfish reasons, I really want to buy a box. The printing on the box is a work of art! Plus I want to see how much better the quality of the foam is compared to the Dollar Tree, garden variety, foam board.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
i like the display ideas. Could even break areas down based on the plane. That way the demo isnt being passed around all over the tent and is in the same general area as the ones building it. Sponz, I would hate to think that the new board they have will not be for sale at Flitefest. It's something I bet they have considered

Strix

How about a painting/decorating area? Somewhere people could Minwax their completed planes and shoot them with rattlecans or an airbrush, apply decals, etc.

It would need to be somewhat away from everything, to avoid making an overspray mess or having people breath fumes. Maybe just put an EZ-up and a couple of tarps on the ground at the edge of the field somewhere.

Painting and decorating is my favorite part of the build process. I love applying a historical paint scheme and being able to tell an interesting story about the plane that inspired the paint job. It's also a lot of fun to make up your own markings... putting your initials or birthday in your plane's registration numbers, or dedicating a plane to a friend in a similar fashion.

Whether or not there is a decorating area set aside, I think I'm still going to bring a pile of paste-sticks and lots of laser-printed decals. :)

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I kinda like that idea, although paint would be pretty messy. What about a "tape booth" for colored packing tape that people could use as decorations. All you would need is the tape and some old plastic cards to use as squeegees.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
How about a painting/decorating area? Somewhere people could Minwax their completed planes and shoot them with rattlecans or an airbrush, apply decals, etc.

It would need to be somewhat away from everything, to avoid making an overspray mess or having people breath fumes. Maybe just put an EZ-up and a couple of tarps on the ground at the edge of the field somewhere.

Painting and decorating is my favorite part of the build process. I love applying a historical paint scheme and being able to tell an interesting story about the plane that inspired the paint job. It's also a lot of fun to make up your own markings... putting your initials or birthday in your plane's registration numbers, or dedicating a plane to a friend in a similar fashion.

Whether or not there is a decorating area set aside, I think I'm still going to bring a pile of paste-sticks and lots of laser-printed decals. :)

CraftyDan already posted regarding a paint/spray booth... [Original Post]
Spray Paint will be . . . tricky. honestly I've had no plans for accommodating it in the build zone. For most builders I'd encourage they find a clear spot in the back field, downwind and out of the way. Naturally, that would depend on how packed we'll be, which come Saturday will probably be VERY. A paint booth has problems all of it's own that we haven't begun to broach . . . even the "shower-booth" setup would need to be out from underneath the tent to get good ventilation and away from the crowds for fumes. Tape, decals, markers and brushes might be the order of the day, but that's from a practical standpoint, not at all because I prefer it.

I think having a good supply of colored packing tape, sharpies/markers, crayons, decals/stickers, etc. would do the job and be easy to manage.

Strix

CraftyDan already posted regarding a paint/spray booth...

Sorry, I must have missed that. Now everyone knows that I didn't read the whole thread before posting. How embarrassing! LOL

I think having a good supply of colored packing tape, sharpies/markers, crayons, decals/stickers, etc. would do the job and be easy to manage.

True that. Whether there is a place to spray or not, I'll bring lots of decals. And printed pictures from Wings Palette (http://wp.scn.ru) for inspiration.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sorry, I must have missed that. Now everyone knows that I didn't read the whole thread before posting. How embarrassing! LOL

Wha?!? Someone didn't take the time to read my magnificent manifesto?!?

Well that settles it, Strixs. your penance is helping out in the build area (Kidding, but you are welcome to volunteer if you like :) )

True that. Whether there is a place to spray or not, I'll bring lots of decals. And printed pictures from Wings Palette (http://wp.scn.ru) for inspiration.

We'll be glad to have all the resources we can get -- but the vary nature there's going to be a LOT of new white planes at FTFF . . . adding a little color is a great thing, as long as we can do it without an unmanageable mess ;)

dhusher

request site wide wifi

Anything else?

There’s a lot there and probably still more detail I might have missed. There’s also still things that will change between now and then, so comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome.

Site wide wifi would really be appreciate ...especially if (heaven forbid) I'm rained in, in my camper , or for sending updates and videos to my jealous friends who couldn't come!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Site wide wifi would really be appreciate ...especially if (heaven forbid) I'm rained in, in my camper , or for sending updates and videos to my jealous friends who couldn't come!

I appreciate the request, but I'm afraid I can't do anything about that -- that's something beyond what the build area would provide. In fact I'm encouraging those within the build area to be prepared to do without.

A better place to add a request like this would be:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?16007-FF15-Question-Thread

That's Austin Furey's thread, and he's organizing the event overall -- if it can be done, he's the man.

That being said, whatever bandwidth can be made available -- wifi, 3G, 4G, 5G, Alien telepathy -- you'll be sharing it with 700+ of your closest friends . . . and if it's raining, EVERYONE will want to use the bandwidth that's there. It's something that's nice if you can get enough bandwidth, but if you're planning ahead, I'd plan for it not being there. Getting that much bandwidth connected in to the rural side of Malverne, OH for just four days can't be easy, and won't be cheap.

seajones

Multi-rotors

I haven't seen much chat (any really) about building multi-rotors. As much as they have been appearing on FT and in the 'real world' I expect there to be a lot of attention in that department. I also expect there will be vendors selling all the gear (as they were last year) and of course FT themselves.

Will there be a dedicated area for multi-rotors? What about configuration equipment for firmware and tuning. I plan to bring a laptop with as many cables and pre-loaded software as I can find. (I'm too pulling all the FT videos/plans as references.) I already have software/hardware for KK, MultiWii, Flip (which is a multiWii variant) and MinimOSD. I plan on loading up for Naze... Any other recommendations? Do we know what vendors will be selling what yet?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
I saw a lot built last year but most were done at camp sites. Bring your builds to the tent....... just remember props off

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Common theme . . . power was an issue last year and laptop power supplies can be VERY hungry, but there were a handful of multirotor builders hanging out in the build area. The power provision will be MUCH higher this year, so hopefully power will not continue to be an issue.

Supplies and setup will favor foamboard planes, but the stations themselves are pretty generic. If you're building, you're welcome, regardless of how your airframe get's in the air ;)

seajones

I actually it was more an offer of services.... I'll be bringing my own genny for charging RC and laptop. I'm not planning any of my own builds at FF, just helping others. Since most multi's need a computer to setup/tune (excluding the KK unless you want a firmware update.)

On a separate note, Crafty, have you planned out any "classes" for the build tent? I have experience teaching and have experience with most of the FT builds fixed and multi. I'm officially educated in computers and electronics and hold a Ham license (W5EAJ). I would be happy to help out.... We don't want the FT crew pulled from their mingle duty.

Love to help any way I can...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I actually it was more an offer of services.... I'll be bringing my own genny for charging RC and laptop. I'm not planning any of my own builds at FF, just helping others. Since most multi's need a computer to setup/tune (excluding the KK unless you want a firmware update.)

On a separate note, Crafty, have you planned out any "classes" for the build tent? I have experience teaching and have experience with most of the FT builds fixed and multi. I'm officially educated in computers and electronics and hold a Ham license (W5EAJ). I would be happy to help out.... We don't want the FT crew pulled from their mingle duty.

Love to help any way I can...

The idea of classes has been tossed around and I expect there's going to be plenty of opportunities to teach and learn, but at this point, scheduled classes aren't likely. There will be plenty enough going on with people building cool things and the build-of-the-day projects that I expect those who volunteer to help will need to be fluid to meet the challenges. We've got a better understanding of what the build area will become than last year, but it's still likely to surprise us. keeping things simple helps keep those surprises good ones ;)

You're more than welcome to lend a hand wherever you like. I'll PM you with the password to the volunteer section. Feel free to sign up for either of the build team groups, or one of the other teams if they suit you better. Planning is still a bit jello right now, but we're happy for the help :)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
In reference to my scratch build, I will say that I will be happy to answer questions as I go. Just stop by and see what I'm doing. The following is a rough plan of events:

Thursday 09JUL: Foam sculpting involving hot wire cutting, laminating, balsa reinforcement, glues, linkages, following plans, and structuring
Friday 10JUL: Finishing techniques (including fiberglass work), Soldering mechanical and electrical connections
Saturday 11JUL: Detailing (yes rivets are involved here), painting, and vinyl decal application, assembly
Sunday 12JUL: Buffer day. This day is assigned as an entire day of back-up in the event that things go wrong or get delayed. The goal is to maiden by the end of the event.

The bulk of the work will be on the first two days, when I'm fresh and thinking clearly. I believe that most folks will be arriving later on Thursday and Friday. Prime time last year seemed to be on Saturday. This will give me more time to talk to folks as I build.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Just wanted to put in a reminder here that if you would like plans printed as a single sheet to hit me up. I've not had any requests yet. In one month we will be into this event. Super excited already!