Great Planes T-Craft 20 build thread

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks! Heres another pic. Looks great from 3 feet away.

IMG_3279.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
All done

I was working away on it this morning, then all of the sudden I was finished! Just need to bind and weight and balance now then maiden.

IMG_3290.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Ready for maiden!

I worked on the details today and its ready for maiden flight. So, this build thread is just about done. I will post a video of the maiden flight when it happens and I also did a time lapse build video of the entire build that will take some time to process.

Two things I left out on the build were, no wing struts as the Great Planes design did not use them as structural parts and they even recommend removing them for high speed flight. I may build some for static display purposes some day. I also did not build the wheel pants as I will be doing grass field operations and I also like the look of open wheel aircraft. Here are my final build specs and everything. I also did a Watt meter test to compare to the Ecalc results and it came out very close. I am heavy at the top end of 4.5 lbs and that is the max for this plane, but I have plenty of power. It will just have a high stall speed...One amazing thing is that my CG came out nearly perfect without having to do any adjustments...got lucky!

Great Planes Taylorcraft 20 build specs

Build time April, 2017 to Sept, 2017 (6 solid months)
AUP with 3,600mAh, 40c, 4s Admiral Battery – 2,050grams, (4.52lbs)Yikes!
HiTec HS-85MG (Metal Gear) servos for ailerons
HiTec HS-225MG (Metal Gear) servos for rudder and elevator
E-flight Power 32 brushless motor
E-flight 60amp ESC
Spektrum AR6600T (6 channel telemetry receiver)
Prop, APC 12x8E

Predicted Ecalc specs:
Wing loading: 20.3 oz/ft (squared)
Est. Stall Speed: 23 mph
Est. top speed: 65 mph
Motor maximums:
Motor electric power: 756 watts
Motor amp draw: 53.87 amps
Static thrust: 3532 grams
Thrust-Weight ratio: 1.77:1
Efficiency optimum: 86.7%
Efficiency max: 81.5%

Measured Motor specs with watt/amp meter full throttle:
Motor electric power: 729 watts
Motor amp draw: 48.3 amps
Battery volts: 15.09 volts
Measured Motor specs with watt/amp meter, 50% throttle:
Motor electric power: 148 watts
Motor amp draw: 8.9 amps
Battery volts: 16.44 voltS
Here is a video of my Watt meter in action.

Here are some final pics.

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

Here is a comparison shot for the aircraft paint scheme I modeled this after.

IMG_3302.JPG

pic_127930_2_large.jpg

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Congrats on finishing it up, and for a great looking plane! Looking forward to the maiden flight report now.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, I did some taxi practice in the driveway and she really wants to fly. It handles great on the ground too. I just need to build my courage up to maiden her. My flying skills are growing and I have been doing some pattern work and 3d stuff, so I should be able to ace the maiden, but after 6 months of building I am a little nervous...I just hit my one year mark in the hobby and this is a good anniversary achievement for me. As a matter of fact, here is my first airplane, whats left of it, it is the Ares Taylorcraft my wife got me. I learned on this one and crashed a lot. It is what inspired me to build this one.

IMG_3312.JPG

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! I plan on a maiden flight this weekend if the weather holds up. Until then I'm double checking throws, cg and everything else. I will have a camera in the cockpit and on the ground to record.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Thanks everyone! I plan on a maiden flight this weekend if the weather holds up. Until then I'm double checking throws, cg and everything else. I will have a camera in the cockpit and on the ground to record.

Saturday or Sunday?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Just my $0.02, I'd suggest shifting the battery for a little bit of extra nose weight for the first flight as added insurance. Great Planes is probably better than most at giving accurate CoG info, but the last few planes like this I've flown were both tail-heavy even though they balanced at the recommended spots.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
CG and everything double checked, ready for maiden!

I double checked everything, control throws, high and low rates, CG, and everything else and I am ready to maiden it on Thursday. Just need to charge up on board camera and GoPro for my head...

CG is just slightly nose heavy for stability on the maiden, checked with plans and Great Planes CG checker...

I know, soon this thread will be done, it just keeps going and going...

Tcraft cg1.jpg

Tcraft cg.jpg

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
Man, I can't wait! I love the super detailed build posts. Keep it up! btw, I love the cowl.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, I had problems trying find find really detailed build information for this model so I decided to make a build post that was super thorough in case someone else was to build this plane. It may be over the top a bit, but I'm sure the next guy will appreciate it. Plus I have the time to post stuff during breaks at work and our kids are all grown up now so got extra time there too.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Time lapse build video

Here is my time lapse build video! Maiden tomorrow and video coming soon!

I had about 18 minutes of time lapse footage, so I sped it up about 500% and got it down to 5 minutes. I think the slower speed was better, but I dont think people would want to watch it that long. Maybe someday I will take some sections and do a mini series on the magnetic build system or something. Plus, I am getting tired and needed to get this part done.