Great Planes T-Craft 20 build thread

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Cowl built

Got the cowl built and it came out great. Just need to fill the seams and paint. IMG_3204.JPG IMG_3205.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Working on cowl

I am filling in the seams on the cowl with this stuff in the picture. I have never done this before, so I think I am doing it right? Just fill in the seams and smooth over with finger and small stir stick then sand smooth?

IMG_3214.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I assume that's an automotive spot filler/putty? It works well, assuming the cowl isn't super lightweight and flexible.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It's a hobby putty for plastic models. Squadron Products, white Putty and fast drying too. It worked great! It sanded easily and did the job. Plus, I got a free high breathing the toluene...

A few people complained about this cowl and how weak it is, but I think it is pretty strong, especially when built according to the instructions and you reinforce the seams from the inside with ABS and then epoxy fiberglass to the seams also. It weighs about 70 grams without paint too. I guess I will see how it holds up in service.

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
You guys are probably tired of seeing this build thread, but it's almost over. All I have left to do is cover, paint, do final setup and maiden. My wife got this pic of me yesterday while doing some cg checks out on the deck after I finished the cowl.

IMG_7203.JPG

RCMAN

Looks great! Nice workshop area and lighting. I have used that plastic filler before and it works great. Just watch those fumes from that stuff it will kill ya. Maiden soon?

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As you're doing your final sanding and prep-work before covering, make sure you leave enough room on the moving surfaces to account for the covering. A gap that looks perfect in raw balsa is suddenly too small once a couple layers of covering are added. Especially when you look at the gaps next to the aileron, by the time you're done you've probably got two layers of covering on both the edge of the aileron and the edge of the aileron pocket on the wing, plus you could easily have some wrinkles in there. I usually err on the side of having a little too much room so I don't have to worry, and nobody is going to see it once the plane is flying.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Another update, another step done...

I will definitely double check gaps before I cover, thanks for the tips I really need them!

Got the cowl finished, I could have went crazy and filled the gaps perfectly but I didn't want to add more weight and it looks great as much as I did do. This plane really covers every aspect of model building and that is good for me to be getting this experience.

Sanded with 400 first, Used Tamiya primer, then sanded with 1200 paper, then a few coats of Tamiya white, and then a few coats of Tamiya clear to finish it off.
IMG_3219.JPG

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I absolutely like starting with the simple, little, and flat parts first. It's much easier to get a feel for the specific iron temperature and behavior of the covering on those pieces before the compound curves and tricky ones :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Im going a little slow, but figuring this covering out. Better to tack at around 220-240F and shrink at around 310. Tomorrow I will get more done as it's supposed to rain so inside day tomorrow. I flew for a few hours today.

IMG_3226.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Well, the ailerons were very hard, but I'm satisfied with the results. I was hoping to get the fuse covered today, but got sidetracked with the honeydoo stuff, at least I managed to get all the control surfaces covered and learned a lot about how to cover also. I will start the fuse on Tuesday.

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is somewhat what Im trying to replicate, but not exactly.

IMG_0206.PNG

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Covering update

Got a bunch done yesterday and may possibly finish the fuse after work today.

IMG_3238.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Fuse covered

Got the fuse covered. Im having one problem, trimming the trim on long runs accurately. Im using sharp new blades and its still difficult. Is there a tool? How do guys get nice straight lines between colors? Anyway, its mostly white so it hides all my chewed up trim jobs. Im going to use trim sheet decals to add lines and stuff. I am using checkerboard on the bottom of the wing though so I hope I can trim straighter by then.

IMG_3239.JPG

IMG_3240.JPG

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
There are various trim tools on the market which are either great or useless, depending on who you ask. I've got a trim tool to cut excess covering from fuselage sides like yours, that leaves just enough for a small overlap of the covering next to it. Hard to explain, but it works ok-ish. It's still hard to get a very nice & clean straight line cut, however.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Trim tool

This one a bunch of builders seem to like.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL791&P=0 IMG_0208.PNG

Or I found this method just now. This looks promising!

Another way is to grab a scrap piece of 1/4" sq balsa. Hold it next to the edge and iron the covering slightly to the scrap balsa. Then use a razor and run it down the edge of the balsa giving you a perfectly straight line.

Last edited: