How often do you crash?

Jimmyp

seems like the last couple of weeks that I crash too much. I've broken my FT Storch, quadcopter, and my RC Powers Mig 29.

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
It depends on what I fly now, I don't really crash my Delta Ray or my Pitts, my Sport Cub S and my P-51D I fly aggressively close to the ground and those are the ones I crash.

Alzey

Right now I have a perfect record. Every field trip end with every plane broken :black_eyed:

Today was my most successful day. Maiden of my TT and kept it in the air for ~10min. Then a mostly ok landing. Grass was wetter that I was expecting from dew and my wings quickly started to wilt. 2 props later I decided it was time to get the fresh FT Flyer out. Made the rookie mistake of not double checking my CRAP. Elevator was reversed :black_eyed::black_eyed::black_eyed: fixed the elevator, launched into a 3/4 speed 90 arch into the ground about 6 ft in front of me. destroyed the power pod and broke the FT Flyer wing about 6in back from the nose.

Oh well....

Went home and clamped the bad power pod to my bench and drained my batteries. back to the drawing board.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
I have crashed my tricopter every single time I have flown it (not just hovering in the yard), And I think its always when its about 9 feet in the air, and then moving towards me and I loose orientation (if you saw some poor kid pancake his copter at flitefest that was me :p). I'm now looking for plans for a T copter instead to help with the orientation, but I just need to keep it slow low and close even though its so much fun to do otherwise.

:)

Mowgli

Almost never, but last time I was flying i had my six year old kid with me, and he brought an bow and arrow.:applause:
I was my old twinstar and I thought that he would miss every time - he did not miss.

He hit the right engine on a fly by, and It got loose and pretty much destroyed the wing - it's now retired.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Well, now that I've entered the realm of multirotors...

My fixed wing craft... almost never, unless I'm doing streamer combat. Then almost always. On purpose.

Rotary wing aircraft... My 250 quad, every time I send it in the air. Period. No exception. My 680 Hex, so far never. I really hope to keep it that way. Between uber stabilization and GPS positioning, there would have to be a hardware malfunction or I would have to NOT be paying attention for me to crash it.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
This one day, i went out, and heard this weird noise. Oh its my lipo alarm. Apparently its is possible to fly an entire battery lol. Seriously though, i think every rc pilot has a "crash age". If you see some dude out there not crashing, thats cause he has a ton of crashes behind him.

I have a storch thats been flying for a year and pretty much never crashes. But its my slow touch and go ship. I had a Bonsai wing that a flew every day at lunch and crashed every day at lunch. was great. My first day with my versa ALL i did was crash.

Capt_Beavis

That is where I am Natedog. I have had my Delta Ray for 9 months and have not had a serious crash with it. I haven't crashed my Pitts in 3-4 months. My Storch is has never been crashed. I do crash my UMX P-51D because I try to fly inverted 6 feet off of the ground and I still actually crash my Sport Cub S because I push it hard. Now, I do a lot of crazy stuff with the Storch, Delta Ray and Pitts but they are big and powerful enough that I can keep a good altitude with them.

JohnC

I have good days and bad days, yesterday was a little of both. Crashed my quad, my Spitfire was uncontrollable, crashed my Versa on takeoff several times (I think that plane is indestructible!), and I brought back a few broken props.

So how often do you guys crash? Are there ever days when you leave the field with a perfect record?

Seriously, I got very frustrated with destroying planes I like to fly, so I adopted a 'conservative' flying approach.

I'm flying a Radian Pro, and went about 8 days in a row without a crash. And then I deviated and flew in winds that were too high for my skill level. Tore one wing out of the fuselage and although it was field repairable, I called it a day. I even passed on the next day.

I'm dedicated to flying without crashing. To learning how to do that, no matter how long it takes and how much practice I have to put in.

------------------------

I don't consider breaking a prop on my Zagi HP a crash. At no throttle, when the Zagi Lands, the prop may strike the ground. It may get pushed to a neutral position and survive. In fact it usually survives . . . until it doesn't.

Flyingninja

How often do I crash? Well, that depends. I have been developing a flying tube with VTOL capabilities, so I haven't flown for about a week. I managed to keep a depron GRX Yakzilla in one piece for a month, without breaking a prop! But that was a first for me. When I started flying, an FT Flyer lasted me 2 days max. But I did fly on dewy grass in the morning so that could have had something to do with it.:p

Ron B

Some times I will go for 6 or 7 trips with out a problem and other times it's every trip. Lately we have been pushing it a bit so it is every trip.

Capt_Beavis

I started crashing a lot more since I started building the minis. My most destructive crash was losing my FT Mini Cruiser in a lake. That hurt but the electronics lived on. The baby baron is the most unstable plane I have flown. It does spin stalls very easily and is very prone to torque rolls. My Mini Speedster had the rudder AND elevator reversed on maiden, it took quite a beating. I finally had a crash with my bloody baron last week (the full size baron is awesome). The rudder was way off of center and I didn't do my preflight check. It nosed in pretty hard but only really damaged the power pod. I still haven't crashed the Delta Ray in 11 months of flying (well I hit a fence post once). The Storch is in pretty good shape still and I haven't crashed the UMX Pitts since last winter even flying it hard and learning knife edges.

mrwzrd59

Old Guy Geek
This is one of those posts that just has no bearing on what any of us are actually doing but is just plain fun to participate in!

Man, "if I had a nickel".....As far as I would care to wager, I'd bet that there is absolutely nobody who has flown aircraft under radio control, that has not crashed at some point. It's just part of the learning curve. Since you don't have the rest of your senses, particularly your sense of motion or balance providing any useful information while you fly, there will be unrecoverable maneuvers performed and yes Virginia, people will crash! Fact of life!

Not much of a discussion topic then!

Yep! I do crash, therefore I am!

Biggest point of all the effort put forth is to have fun! Crashing comes with it and will always be!

Is this not the reason that we choose to fly Dollar Tree foam-board and barbeque skewer constructed aircraft???

The late Graham Hill is often quoted......"Speed costs money, so how fast do you wish to go?" Replace a few key words and it applies perfectly to model flight!

Merck

I quit!

I QUIT! This hobby sucks! (Tantrum thrown)

I bought a FT Guinea Pig as my first plane. Took it out flying three times. Each time it was a crash and never got through more than one battery. Bought a FT Bloody Baron. Never more than one battery in a session, destroyed. Built another Bloody Baron....same results, destroyed. I am stubborn, but I was done with this crap. If God wanted foam to fly he would have given it wings!

One more time.....
I took a Friday off. Perfect day weather wise. I got the Guinea back in "flying" condition. Brought out the inverter and glue gun and was going to stay there until I flew this damn Guinea Pig. This was it. If I crashed this thing beyond hot glue gun repair, I was done. The first few flights I didn't realize my elevator servo was destroyed in my last crash. Fixed that.

I flew that same plane for 6 hrs that day. Got my nerves finally calmed. Stopped worrying about a crash. Just flew. It flew. I got it to dump my GoPro out the rear end with a home built parachute and it worked gloriously.
We (the plane and I) had some non gentle landings.

I have been flying one other time since then and it was a lot of fun, with the same Guinea Pig. Self cut FT Spitfire on the bench, will definitely be out next time.
If you have any doubts, just keep trying, make sure your first few flights you have lots of time to double check everything. It is harder to learn to fly by yourself, but it CAN be done.

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
What really helped me get back in the hobby was FT flyers and realflight 7... Before that I had the same experience...except with balsa planes...where even a hard landing could end the flying day...I've actually nosed an FT flyer in 90* before and only had to bend some foam back out and change the prop! it doesn't weigh that much and doesn't go that fast...well my first setup didn't ;)