Intruder

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Check out the Intruder starting at 16:10 in the FF16 recap video...

Flite Fest 2016 - Recap Part 1

Intruder P2.jpg

If you attended Flite Fest 2016, you may have seen a pair 60" Intruders flying around Furey Field. Keegan and I debuted a new design that we have been working on for the past several months. This design is Based off the Air Hogs Intruder toy airplanes that were sold in the early to mid 2000's. They came in two different colors on two different frequencies so you could fly them in pairs.

Intruder Red Box.jpg

Keegan thought it would be cool to try and make one out of foam board. Only much bigger... like 300% bigger. So we set out designing and building a prototype. After successfully building and flying the first prototype, we decided to make a pair and bring them to Flite Fest. We got to fly them with Josh Bixler and Peter Sripol and get there feedback on them. Flite Test even did a small video segment for the maiden flight of the Red/Yellow one on Thursday night at Flite Fest. Look for it appearing in a future Flite Fest recap episode.

Also, Keegan and I both flew them in the Guinness World Record attempt on Saturday and both made it through the duration of the flight to be counted for the record! Here is a shot of Keegan and I with the Intruders just after the world record flight.

GWR Intruders.jpg
Special thanks to Rasterize for making the graphics to match the Air Hogs toys!

Wilmracer captured some video of Keegan flying his Purple/Yellow Intruder at Flite Fest.

It is going to take a pretty significant amount of work to make this a friendly and repeatable build. So, let us know...

Would you be interested in free build plans and a build thread for this model? Reply to this thread and let us know.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm bummed.. The A6 intruder is one of my personal favorites. I thought you were doing a foamie of that. These are kinda neat even if they aren't the A6's. Color scheme is really cool.

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Plans would be awesome. I need a slope soarer, and I think the Intruder would be hilarious.

Drop on a couple radian sized motors and folding props. :cool:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Plans would be awesome. I need a slope soarer, and I think the Intruder would be hilarious.

Drop on a couple radian sized motors and folding props. :cool:

Hmm... I do have a couple sets of folding props in the drawer looking for a project... I'm liking this Intruder Gaggle idea :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are some free plans for a good looking foamy version of the A-6 here: http://www.parkjets.com/free-plans/a-6-intruder

Now back to the Giant Air Hogs! :cool:

Wow thanks. That is really cool. Id love to build one but I am locked into quads atm I can keep them close LOS or do FPV. Between my neck fusion and eye issues with light sensitivity Looking up to fly is a bad thing for me much past 40-50 ft range. I may give it a shot just to have it as a model as it does look awesome.

Back to traditional air hogs.. I'm thinking dual fish pumps to supply air driven by a brushless motor turning converted mini nitro motors to run off air like a reverse compressor. That would put the finishing touch hearing it putt putt thru the air :D

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Wow thanks. That is really cool. Id love to build one but I am locked into quads atm I can keep them close LOS or do FPV.

One of the things Keegan and I think this airframe will be amazing for is FPV. It's a big twin with a lot of room up front for gear and incredibly light wing loading. Without any extra weight this thing is almost like a power glider.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From looking at it I would think it handled more like a wing then a full on plane with a tail. It looks like it would be / is very agile. Ill bet you could get that moving crazy fast sort of like a pylon racer if you wanted to test its limits.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
From looking at it I would think it handled more like a wing then a full on plane with a tail. It looks like it would be / is very agile. Ill bet you could get that moving crazy fast sort of like a pylon racer if you wanted to test its limits.

I want to try it with a pair of NTM PropDrive 35 size motors. Maybe something that can easily turn an 8x8 prop!

Tarak

I immediately came to the forums looking for plans of that beast after seeing the flite fest recap. I'd love to fly one of these to pieces... possibly literally :p

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I immediately came to the forums looking for plans of that beast after seeing the flite fest recap. I'd love to fly one of these to pieces... possibly literally :p

Tarak, thanks for the first post man! Keegan and I are definitely going to be working to bring free plans for multiple size Intruders to the FT community.

Hell2Go

I too immediately came to the forums looking for plans for that beast after seeing the flite fest recap. If you do plans, could you plan a smaller version also? That was a great show you put on there Keegan! You really showed the flight potential of this design...

What did you use for your power setups?

I have an original black and grey version Airhogs Intruder in my hangar and always wondered what I could do with it... I never thought to scale it up!?!

I would build it in a 35-40 inch size cause I have a small field and smaller electronics would be much more economical too...

What an awesome idea... now I gotta look thru my hangar to see what else I have that I could do that to. Great work guys!

Tarak

Tarak, thanks for the first post man! Keegan and I are definitely going to be working to bring free plans for multiple size Intruders to the FT community.

Yeah, loooooonngg time lurker. Loving Flite Test since.... Josh and Josh. Just got a Bloody Baron flying good and a lot of my other airframes are getting dusty, lol. That thing flies way too well, and is great for smaller fields. I think a mini Intruder would be great too, couple mini quad motors and a whole lotta hold on to your hat, I'd wager.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I too immediately came to the forums looking for plans for that beast after seeing the flite fest recap. If you do plans, could you plan a smaller version also? That was a great show you put on there Keegan! You really showed the flight potential of this design...

What did you use for your power setups?

I have an original black and grey version Airhogs Intruder in my hangar and always wondered what I could do with it... I never thought to scale it up!?!

I would build it in a 35-40 inch size cause I have a small field and smaller electronics would be much more economical too...

What an awesome idea... now I gotta look thru my hangar to see what else I have that I could do that to. Great work guys!

I think I decided than I am going to do the Mighty Mini Intruder first. It will be easier to prototype and work out the build details, and then we can scale it back up for the larger swappable size, which is going to be just a tad smaller than Prototype #2 and #3 that were at Flite Fest. The mini at 1:16 scale will have a span of 28.5" which I think will be a perfect throw in the car park/sport flyer. The larger one, at 1:8 scale will be a 57" span (about 3" smaller than the ones we had at Flite Fest).

The Black/Grey and Green/Purple versions came out a little later and were call the Resistor, but were essentially the same plane. I really like that Black/Grey scheme.

As for power, both were using NTM PropDrive 28-30 1100 kv motors, 30 amp ESCs, 9x6 props, and a 4000 mAh 4S. We tried a couple of control variations (testing it out) and I think the winning combination will be rudder and differential thrust. But we'll have to test that theory out on the mini as well.