Intruder

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I flew 3 more packs with Red/Yellow (Prototype #3) on Sunday. Having a blast flying this thing. I'm still running the 10x4.5 SF (CW/CCW) props that I bought at FF16 for it. The performance is okay, but not nearly as good as the 9x6 APC props that Keegan has on his. I just couldn't find any for my counter-rotating setup at FF. I finally ordered some different props for it yesterday. 8x6 3-bladed props which I am hopeful will really amp up the flight characteristics of Red/Yellow. As an added bonus, I think the tri-blades will make it look even cooler. :cool: If I don't destroy Red with the tri-blades, I also picked up a second NTM 35-36 1800 kv. I'll swap out the NTM 28-30 1200 kv's for the 35-36 1800 kv's. I think I'll try 7x5 props for that as I only have 60 amp ESC's to use with those motors for now. Not sure the airframe will take much more power or not. But the goal is to find the weak areas of the design and make sure to account for them for the final versions.

Stay tuned. I'm hoping to report back on the flight performance with the new props and motors soon.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Cool. My new VTX and Antenna's arrived a day early yesterday and are now installed and tested. Looking forward to new videos of this.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Intruder update...

I have installed the new Master Airscrew 8 X 6 X 3 CW/CCW props and have flew a few packs with them now. As I suspected, the performance is better with these than the 10 x 4.5 SF CW/CCW props I was running previously. Speed between the 9 X 6 and 8 X 6 X 3 is pretty close. As I suspected, Keegan's purple/yellow version with the rudder is still much better at flat spins. The final versions will include a rudder. It flies perfectly fine without a rudder, but who doesn't want crazy flat spin mode? Am i right? ;)

Keegan and I flew both the intruders together for the first time since Flite Fest this past weekend. I used the Mobius hat cam to get some footage. Need to review that and see if it's worthy of sharing. Both Intruders flew very well and came back in one piece.

As far as the design goes, I have made a little bit of progress on the Mini. The rough wing and fuselage parts are drawn and I hope to begin a test build in the next couple of weeks. When that happens, I will start a new Design/Build thread here on the forums, so watch for that. I will post a link here so that anyone subscribed to this thread can follow that one. Once the build thread starts, I will probably let this thread die. Why? I'm going to rename the design to avoid any future confusion with A-6 Intruder and also the Air Hogs/Spinmaster Toys.

I have a few names in mind already, but I am open to suggestions. We may even put it up for a vote. Finial say, however, will be up to Keegan and I.

Last edited:

Morbius

Hi, my awe in your re-creation is immense. But summer is coming and I just can't wait any longer. Gunna try to go it on my own. BUT YOU CAN REALLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU ANSWER TWO QUESTIONS. My eyes are burned out creating stills and holding straightedges against the screen. I am guessing that I perceive about a two degree dihedral per side and maybe about a 1 degree increase in angle of attack on the main wing to the tail. These could be major to get wrong, and will be forever grateful if you could provide me with your thoughts on these two items. THANKS IN ADVANCE, (THANKS JUST FOR THE INSPIATION.) Those old pricey Air-hogs could really be frustrating, but those moments of magic seemed to touch a lot of our hearts and imaginations. Proud just to have the opportunity to correspond with you! Martin

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Thanks, we're glad you like it. I'm way behind on this project, so I don't blame you for trying it on your own. Good luck with your build.

There is 0° dihedral and 0° angle of attack for the wing. Hope that helps. If flies great. I'm sure you're going to love it. Please be sure to post pics. I'd love to see your take on it.

Morbius

Well, that makes a great deal of sense from the performance you had, and that was my 1'st assumption. But then I got "clever" and tried to verify it on capture stills. Boy am I glad you brought me back on track. If I don't get hit with too many honey-doos perhaps I can help with the plans. THANKS AGAIN !

(watch out for "clever") I'll be lookig for you at flite-fest !

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Okay, okay...this project has been on hold for FAR too long! So many people at Flite Fest asked me for the plans. It's time to get back to work.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I've been focusing on the Rascal CNC project. Once I get my CNC built, I can cut prototypes faster and refine the design much quicker than printing tiled plans, taping, tracing, cutting, ad naseum. My plan is to tackle the Intruder design once the CNC machine is up and running. That said, I have been tinkering with the Intruders design quite a bit, on and off over the past 2 months.

I did get out to fly a little a couple of days ago, and had the Intruder (prototype 003) up and flying for the first time in several months. Also had 3 other people take the sicks. Mostly positive reviews. One of them wanted a bit more roll authority. I think the slightly smaller air frame should make that a reality.

Thanks for your patience with me on this one guys.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
These guys got to fly the Intruder. I think they liked it!

22089880_10213429026256236_6140037543472741821_n.jpg