List of Things To Bring to a Flying Event

robschonk

Honda does make very nice gens (I've got the 2000), but man they are pricy. Be hard to justify for something like this.

The inverter generators are very quiet. They only run at a high enough RPM to meet the demand. The engines are generally 50 or 125cc motor scooter engines. The generators with OHC engines are much noisier, and my cheapo with a 10 horse Tecumseh engine sounds like a 50 cal machine gun.

Here's a 2500 watt from HF for $500, though they sometimes go on sale.

http://t.harborfreight.com/engines-...-125cc-portable-inverter-generator-61169.html

They are great for when a hurricane thunderstorm or blizzard takes out your power. It will keep your fridge and blower motor on the furnace going. Seriously, everyone should have one.

Last edited:
Can't wait for the flite test crew to recover from SEFF week so they can post the official information link and we can start the official q/a flite fest 14 thread!

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Another power supply option is an RV solar panel and a car battery. I thought about mounting a solar panel to the rack of my station wagon with a second battery so I have some power while camping. But I think with that solution you need to find the balance of enough batteries to charge your Lipos during the event and estimating how many amps the solar panels will charge up the car battery.

I think Coleman makes a decent 12v solar panel for $70. Then a hundred or two for the car battery.

But it boils down to what else you're going to use it for. I think a few hundred for a good backup generator is a fantastic idea if you're also going to use it at home if/when the power goes out. But if you just want it for "camping" applications, the solar panel option may work.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Another power supply option is an RV solar panel and a car battery. I thought about mounting a solar panel to the rack of my station wagon with a second battery so I have some power while camping. But I think with that solution you need to find the balance of enough batteries to charge your Lipos during the event and estimating how many amps the solar panels will charge up the car battery.

I think Coleman makes a decent 12v solar panel for $70. Then a hundred or two for the car battery.

But it boils down to what else you're going to use it for. I think a few hundred for a good backup generator is a fantastic idea if you're also going to use it at home if/when the power goes out. But if you just want it for "camping" applications, the solar panel option may work.

Best prices on Solar Panels: http://www.sunelec.com

They power ALL my flying.

Thurmond

Team_Monkey

I'll put a bug in their ear for a comments section… ;)
Monkeys are awesome! But I may be a little biased. With the many noobs coming to the event I think it would be a nice way to introduce them to some nitro and/or gasser safety and operation. Even if allowed, I'd assume the event to be 90% electric.

Running a flight line isn't that hard. I know it's their first event but with a congenial MC and safety officer, even part time, it goes pretty smoothly. I have an event at my place every couple years and while it's only 10-12 pilots, we mix electric, gassers, quads and gliders too. I'm sure this will be great!

Oh, the best thing you can bring to a flying event is common sense. Let the flight line know what you're going to do.
If you don't have common sense, don't worry, someone will give you an ear full of it in short order. :p