Mini Arrow - 2nd plane...

Hopeso. I think practicing taking of and then landing in only 1 circuit was a good idea. ive no cut my landing approach circuit a fair bit.

Ive used filiament tape on the top to help reinforce the hotglue join so as if it doe have a hard belly landing it shouldnt go. 1 strip ontop on the back and 1 strip on the front, both under tensions.Propabbnly not very aerodynamic but should provide a decent amount of strength incase of any oopsies.

Might just have to put electronics in 1 of the spares to see how that flies as it is much lighter.

Im being very carefull with speed at the moment as thats when bad things happen, although im not going slow, the only time ive opened up the throttle full was when climping

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As they fly better with higher speed perhaps you could take it up 3+ mistakes high and go for it.

Throw it around roll, loop dive and climb until you get a good feel for it. If too twitchy or perhaps feeling uncontrollable you could reduce the throws a little and increase the Expo until you get used to it and find it a really enjoyable model to fly.

Then practice stalls at height to see how it behaves and then you should be just about crash proof.

Have fun!

As they fly better with higher speed perhaps you could take it up 3+ mistakes high and go for it.

Throw it around roll, loop dive and climb until you get a good feel for it. If too twitchy or perhaps feeling uncontrollable you could reduce the throws a little and increase the Expo until you get used to it and find it a really enjoyable model to fly.

Then practice stalls at height to see how it behaves and then you should be just about crash proof.

Have fun!

Had a great day yesterday in the evenings with winds down at 5mph. Theni could open it up, was doing circles about 10 foot of the ground at 3/4 throttle zipping around, took it up as far as i could see it and then it stall, thats an exciting thing to do.

Needs a little trimming as it was wanting to roll .

Well good news my mini arrow is still flying. I keep knocking the stabilisers off. it still flies without stabilisers byut hand launching is harder and you need to be carefull pullin to hard in turns as strange things happen (like it levels itself off so the only option is to wack on the power and pull up, it bails out of the turn!)

I had a slight issue on the last flights, right over the worse place at our field called the nursery, where you end up spending hours looking for a plane. it suddenly did a super fast roll, thankfully i got control bnrought it back in quickly....

dunno what happened. guess that it glithced and threw the control surface on 1 side to full or something. ive seen it on the bench where it glitched and i thought mmm random spike too close to tx or something.

have had another few failed launches, 1 was due to not having the vertical stabilisers on and chucking it too hard which sent it into a spin. another was just a poor launch and not enough power.

looks like my reinforcing with the fibre tape is doing its job, without it it doesnt take much to fold the wing especially since mine is covering in coloured packing tape, im sure theres less strength in the hot glue due to that

Well thats my mini arrow at the end of its life. I landed my t28 in a tree, so a bit annoyed i started throwing the arrow about and playing with rolls, doing rolls to inverted half circuit inverted rolling back out etc, i started getting fancy with the rolls to inverted and doing loops inside and out, when i lost orientation gave the wrong elevator which sent it in a downward loop too close to the gorund, as expected this was right over the runway. went in nose first.

amazingly, it flew after this, both stabilsers got knocked off and the glue on 1 side let go of the centre section, the nose was pretty bashed in but the fibreglass tape held it together nicely. i was pretty rought on the controls pulling really tight controls but it still flew fine and landed without any troubles after the battery was done.

ill just transfer over the electronics and control horns/rods to my spare i have (ive got 2 spare arrows) which are the lighter builds.

blueangel6

It took 28 grams of weight in the nose of my mini arrow ,to balance it.REALLY. So much for for keeping the plane light.

It took 28 grams of weight in the nose of my mini arrow ,to balance it.REALLY. So much for for keeping the plane light.

28g isnt that much weight, im sure mine was around 10-15g to balance in the nose. Afte ri got used to how i flew it ive aeven been able to fly it slightly tai heavy. I fly with 2 sized batteries, 850 and 10000. the 850 needs weight to balance it, the 1000 doesnt but ive flownw without the nose weights.

I maidened the lighter versino with came out at 275g with 1000mah battery. its faster than the previous one, unfortuantly it freaked out on the first flight and ended up nose first into the soft ground, this broke the hotglue around the centre sectionl

decided to trash it rather than repair and use my last remaining spare.

I used the 800 mah. What other battery will fit in that small space in the nose.

The 1000mah depending on how well you have built (how accurate you have been with cutting out the plans) is a tight fit. On 2 of my mini arrows i had to carve out the centre section walls to get it to fit aswell as remove the outer plastic casing on the battery. This also means that the 850s are no longer a tight fit so need to use velcro to secure the battery.

The 1000mah batteries will give you a few minutes extra flight time.

Just maidened my last mini arrow. I had set it up and resized the control rods so the servos were nuetral, i use bbq skewers with metal rods heatshrink and CA in place so once its set its permanant.

Well the launch my arrow went up and to the left, quickly recoeverd it and started dialing in trim... loooks like i have too much reflex and it also needed some aileron trim.... it was too windy to properly check CG so maybe the CG was off aswell.

not having much luck recently, on its 2nd flite there was a snapping sound, the motor cut and it spiraled to the ground, i still had conrtroland stort of guided it to the ground to soften the impact. thought it had folded but what actually happened was the firewall seperated from the power pod, so the motor just bound up with the wing and sent it into a spin.

After recoering it from the boggy long grass it landed it noticed the battery was missing... another battery lost :/ it must have ejected the battery when it landed no chance in finding it, probably sunk under the mud....

Easy fix though, hotglue the firewall back on.

While im at it, ill mark elevon positions and reset the rods, i also need to take the stop out the linkages as noticed it was a bit erratic in the air. sure this was the case before, as it will sometimes suddenly twitch one way or the other. especially int he wind.