Monster sized Fock-Wulf FW-42

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys!

And yeah, I've thought a little about trying to make a fiberglass plug / mold for the fuselage, but it's a new technique for me and I want to try that on something smaller and cheaper first :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I glassed the canard control surfaces yesterday. Trying to do a better job of squeezing out excess epoxy when applying the fiberglass to reduce sanding and weight. I'll see how that turned out tonight.

20180411_163653-1280x720.jpg

Planning to hit all the canard pieces with a quick sanding and primer, and if it passes the 10 foot test I'll glue in the hinges and servos and have one piece of the beast done and ready for maiden. Sorry Josh, while I appreciate the zen of riveting, I'm going to pass on this one. :p

More planning going on for the wing. I'm going to do a box style hot wire of the center section next - laying out the ribs and spar pattern now so it will have a solid connection at the fuselage and the nacelles and hopefully won't fold up on landing. Thinking I still want to have this center section be bolt-in to make things easier for transport. Otherwise it'll be a choice of tent or plane arriving at Flite Fest :)

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Really looking forward to seeing this one in person. You mentioned you may need a larger bow for the wing panels. I've got one that should do up to 36" (maybe a bit more) that you're welcome to use. I'm hoping to finally make it to another club meeting next week so I could probably bring it along. Just let me know!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Really looking forward to seeing this one in person. You mentioned you may need a larger bow for the wing panels. I've got one that should do up to 36" (maybe a bit more) that you're welcome to use. I'm hoping to finally make it to another club meeting next week so I could probably bring it along. Just let me know!

That would be awesome! The bow I have should work for the center panel, but I need some more width for the outer panels and it sounds like yours would be perfect.

Thanks!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
All the canard pieces are fiberglassed and through a rough sanding now - reinstalled the hinges to get the cut outs right again.
20180412_223542-1280x720.jpg

Started a first coat of primer on one canard. Then will see about this talcom powder fill technique for the roughest spots. Not going to worry about perfection though. Just need to get though a maiden flight first. Then we can get pretty. Also going leave the other canard bare until I get a chance to show these at the club meeting next week. :cool:
20180412_223553_HDR-1280x720.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
20180413_235926-1280x720.jpg

Started cutting pieces for the center section wing box. Going to use DTFB for the ribs between the bigger spars and beams.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
wish I was closer to ya Jon. I would be over helping you as much as you could tolerate since I have so much dead time to fill each day. Specially with this crappy weather we have atm. Rain and wind for 2+ weeks solid now and no sun in the forecast anytime soon either. The trees here don't even have any green showing on them yet.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The help would be much appreciated. Today was mostly yard work which I detest.

Got a few more pieces cut for the wing box and holes drilled for the wing tube. Double checking my ideas for nacelle and landing gear attachment and structure before glueing it together.

20180414_181412-1280x720.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
The trees here don't even have any green showing on them yet.

Haha the trees down here in FL are completely covered in green, makes 'em easier to see in fpv:p

@Rockyboy
Your plane is coming along GREAT, I've been watching it from day 1...just haven't posted anything.

Oh, and what are you going to cover the frame of the main wing with?

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I dug thru my magic box O partz and came up with this for the rear landing gear if you are interested I can get them mailed to you asap for fitting before you get too far. you can source smaller lighter wheels as these are standard 1/8th A frame with 17 mm hubs.

Nearly new shocks.. (low milage) and brandy new bearings as of 5 minutes ago.

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd be interested in trying to use the shocks - going to be some trial and error or maths beyond my schooling to figure out the right angles/movement to mount them up but it would be great to try!

The wing skinning plan is to use fan-fold foam from the Home Despot - that stuff is about 1/4" thickness and with a layer of 1.5 oz fiberglass it should be nice and strong. I've seen similar setups used on a couple big foamies over on that other forum so I think it'll work. :)

I've drilled the holes for the wing tube and strung all the parts on like a big kebab. Starting to glue up the first couple joints with Gorilla glue - not going to try and do it all at once lest I get things crooked.

20180414_231908-1280x720.jpg

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looking good! I've seen this wing method as well but have never tried it myself. Planning to give it a shot on my next big build that I'm planning now. I want to see about building the wing frame box 2x as tall and then doing a gravity cut with the hotwire bow to split it so the halves are identical. Curious how hard that would be to accomplish.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks Nam!

And I love that idea for the side wing panels Carl - will plan on that for sure. Right now I'm muddling through and learning as I go. More gorilla glue used and all my big clamps to keep the front of the box in place. I also made a test box with the same materials so I can practice with the wire. Next step is drilling the little spar/locating rod hole through the back ribs and gluing them into place.

20180415_180749-1280x720.jpg 20180415_182452-1280x720.jpg

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
I think for my next build i would like to try fiberglass as my covering. Cant wait to see how yours turns out.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm learning a lot on the fill / prime / sand / repeat cycle that I'm sure would have been covered in auto body class had I signed up for it. :p

But it's all pretty easy to learn so far, and not as expensive as I feared either. I definitely recommend.

Ray K

Ray K
That is one heck of a spar I see there, Rocky. That looks to be about half the size as the one in my real airplane!