nnDLG

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
. . . and I think you're both discounting the performance of that little guy ;)

To address the question directly, the limit of DLGs have been at 1500mm because F3K says so. You'll only sell the pricier birds to people who "NEED" them, and that's the guy who doesn't want to be edged out of competition.

In practical standards, though, FAI didn't pick that number . . . um . . . out of the air.

1500mm is just about right. I start a launch with the left tip on the ground and the right tip in my hand just above my waist. As I start the turn, my arm doesn't raise/fall much, and it shouldn't -- that's one way to hook it, and on older DLGs, snap the tip. Moving from a smaller airframe to a full sized ship took a few launches to get adjusted to -- the steps and sequence didn't change but it was easy to hook it because the starting point felt weird. Longer wing, more awkward launch. I'd rather not toss much more than 1500mm.

This airframe is already seeing issues with overstressing and every mm you add, the forces MULTIPLY by that extra lever arm. In that respect Archimedes was dead on right.

Great information as always CraftyDan.

I know that the bigger it is the more stress it gets. I think me and Nic are on the same page with that. We're both after a bigger bird for the performance it'll get AND because of the challenge of it.

I was unclear as to what that magic wingspan number is. If you say that the FAI says it's 1500mm (or almost 60") then that's what I'm aiming for. Maybe I'll do what Nic is doing and go shy of it to keep the stresses down.

I don't think me or Nic are discounting the performance of a smaller DLG. (I guess I shouldn't try to speak for Nic, he can for himself.) But it's just that, a smaller version. I think we're both after the frustrating challenge of doing the "impossible". I'm sure Nic is just as stubborn as I am.

Mac82

Foam scraps? I got plenty
So nic,
I'm really liking the dlg I haven't gotten the first one flying yet but I was thinking last night that I may build another only a little smaller. At a 1m wing span (39.3 in let's just say 40 in for simplicity's sake)
What leinght would you recommend for the tail boom and pod leinght

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I would start with the same proportions. If you print from Adobe reader you can use the poster option and then pick a percentage scale. This is how I'd do it and then tweak later as needed.

Sky Pirate

So Nic, any updates? How does V5 fly? Are we leaning more towards a full length carbon spar now? Should I hold off for V6 or am I finally safe to build ;-) I have to wait anyways though, gonna see if the campus archery club has any extra arrow shafts.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Haven't been able to test yet. I'm hoping to this week during my lunch break. There is a small field just next to my office.

flyingsquirrelRC

Yeah that would be cool.

I am looking at constructing this dlg if/when i get a chance. I would love to see this great design in the air!

flyboa

Elite member
My new 50" folded wing. No spar and weighs 90g.

image.jpeg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I came up with a way to get some nice edges with minimal effort.
see3tdf.jpg

wF8qaBv.jpg

Im testing the install method of cutting a channel in the vstab.
n7lho0A.jpg

ATON3xo.jpg

All wrapped up :)
0QJvqy8.jpg