nnDLG

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Nic, did you ever get a chance to fly the V.6? I'm eagerly awaiting results. BTW, do you think that a 3D printed launch peg is at all possible? I know that there are a lot of guys that use fancy contoured pegs that are supposedly a lot more comfortable, but they're all carbon and a little pricey.

Not yet. It's half built right now and I hope to finish and fly it this weekend. For the peg it might work. Definitely try it. It might not be strong enough if you make it thin, but only one way to find out!

I was looking at a 'real' peg and it costs more than my whole DLG 😂

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Man your so cool, thank you so much for your effort to share this to everyone. Now this would be a helpful information for all of us we can now build our own design of RC plane. Without costing too much of our money.

Welcome to the forums! I will share all the details on every aspect of the design once it is finalized.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Akimbo,

Possibly, but probably not . . . if you were to get it to work, the blade would have to be printed flat with the print-lines forced down the length of the blade and likely would need re-enforcement to prevent delaminating. You might get away with printing finger pads and laminating them to a thin CF strip to take the load, but I expect even then delaminations between the layers will start to "roughen up" the surface making it less comfortable over time.

BTW, dunno what the shipping is but . . .

https://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=5358

$5 per stick and you could cut and form 6-8 blades out of each 12" rod -- trim and sand the edges, then sand pads into the flat with a Dremel sanding wheel (Wear a dust mask). Easy-peasy and it's more than enough of a peg on it's own.

. . . and $17 is pocket change when it comes to nice DLG parts.

flyboa

Elite member
new 1.5m with longer root cord. AUW 195gr.

IMG_0719.JPG

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
BTW, dunno what the shipping is but . . .

https://www.acpsales.com/OnlineStore.php?cat=5358

$5 per stick and you could cut and form 6-8 blades out of each 12" rod -- trim and sand the edges, then sand pads into the flat with a Dremel sanding wheel (Wear a dust mask). Easy-peasy and it's more than enough of a peg on it's own.

. . . and $17 is pocket change when it comes to nice DLG parts.

FWIW: AloftHobbies has 1-meter long sticks of similar thickness/width for $5, and reasonable shipping (less than $10 I think). Same price, or less, for double the material:

http://alofthobbies.com/carbon-fiber-strips.html

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
FWIW: AloftHobbies has 1-meter long sticks of similar thickness/width for $5, and reasonable shipping (less than $10 I think). Same price, or less, for double the material:

http://alofthobbies.com/carbon-fiber-strips.html

1/8" (0.125")is over 3mm thick, and the closest aloft has is 2mm thick. The 2x10mm or 2x12mm rod would be strong enough as is, but won't really leave material to contour it any . . . and at $15 shipped, we're in shooting range of the nicest blades money can buy.

In fairness, I lean toward ACP because I get some more exotic materials from them that Aloft doesn't carry. I like Aloft as a vendor and they have a really interesting selection . . . but in this case, I think ACP has a better item.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
1/8" (0.125")is over 3mm thick, and the closest aloft has is 2mm thick. The 2x10mm or 2x12mm rod would be strong enough as is, but won't really leave material to contour it any . . . and at $15 shipped, we're in shooting range of the nicest blades money can buy.

In fairness, I lean toward ACP because I get some more exotic materials from them that Aloft doesn't carry. I like Aloft as a vendor and they have a really interesting selection . . . but in this case, I think ACP has a better item.

Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply they would compete in their composite material selection, only that there was something "close" for considerably cheaper (same price, longer stick). Comparing the cost of a carbon stick to a finished blade isn't really fair to either website, especially when a $15 carbon stick will make several blades, vs. ~$20+ for just ONE.

Anyway, we're veering off and I don't want to derail Nic's thread any further....

Back on topic: I like the idea of the smaller DLG's, so I'm going to be looking at using a 0.5x3mm blade to reinforce a simple DTFB 30" span model. I've built them before with great success, but they never lasted very long because they were just too fragile without any backbone. A couple strategically-oriented .5mm blades however, could go a long way to making a little bird last.

flyboa

Elite member
I like the idea of the smaller DLG's, so I'm going to be looking at using a 0.5x3mm blade to reinforce a simple DTFB 30" span model. I've built them before with great success, but they never lasted very long because they were just too fragile without any backbone. A couple strategically-oriented .5mm blades however, could go a long way to making a little bird last.
Ben, I enjoyed that small single layered DLG video you made. I built some 30" folded wing DLG that were simple to build and great fliers. My most recent one was built lighter and it did not perform as well as my heavier one. There is a trade off point we're penetration is more important than floating.

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Ben, I enjoyed that small single layered DLG video you made. I built some 30" folded wing DLG that were simple to build and great fliers. My most recent one was built lighter and it did not perform as well as my heavier one. There is a trade off point we're penetration is more important than floating.

This is exactly what I found too. If it gets too light, it won't carry any energy on launch to altitude. My next iteration will certainly not be my lightest, but I'm hoping it will be stiffer and more durable while still maintaining reasonably light wing-loading.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Fair enough. I didn't mean to imply they would compete in their composite material selection, only that there was something "close" for considerably cheaper (same price, longer stick). Comparing the cost of a carbon stick to a finished blade isn't really fair to either website, especially when a $15 carbon stick will make several blades, vs. ~$20+ for just ONE.

Anyway, we're veering off and I don't want to derail Nic's thread any further....

Back on topic: I like the idea of the smaller DLG's, so I'm going to be looking at using a 0.5x3mm blade to reinforce a simple DTFB 30" span model. I've built them before with great success, but they never lasted very long because they were just too fragile without any backbone. A couple strategically-oriented .5mm blades however, could go a long way to making a little bird last.

Sorry, didn't mean to come off with the "your wrong" vibe . . . just pointing out why I gravitated to that part, and what would be missed with the thinner rod.

. . . and it may seem unfair, but until you've thrown one of Eitan's blades, you won't see why it's worth giving up the scrap material from the alternitive. 1/8x1/2"-ish rod makes a more than passable DIY blade -- far superior to a peg -- but even the DIY blade is poor in comparison. I'm not exaggerating that $17 shipped can get you the best money can buy. There are more expensive options out there -- I've tried a few -- and they simply don't measure up.

That being said, while Eitan's blades are crazy light for their size . . . on a 30" DLG, every gram counts. Might be better to give up some comfort for the extra weight.

As for .5mm strips . . . I agree, that's a good reinforcement material -- light and crazy stiff in the right direction. So what's your "strategy"?

Last edited:

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Sorry, didn't mean to come off with the "your wrong" vibe . . . just pointing out why I gravitated to that part, and what would be missed with the thinner rod.

. . . and it may seem unfair, but until you've thrown one of Eitan's blades, you won't see why it's worth giving up the scrap material from the alternitive. 1/8x1/2"-ish rod makes a more than passable DIY blade -- far superior to a peg -- but even the DIY blade is poor in comparison. I'm not exaggerating that $17 shipped can get you the best money can buy. There are more expensive options out there -- I've tried a few -- and they simply don't measure up.

That being said, while Eitan's blades are crazy light for their size . . . on a 30" DLG, every gram counts. Might be better to give up some comfort for the extra weight.

As for .5mm strips . . . I agree, that's a good reinforcement material -- light and crazy stiff in the right direction. So what's your "strategy"?

No worries, thanks. :) I certainly wouldn't use a DIY-strip blade on a full-size DLG; the forces involved necessitate a comfy shaped blade. For little mini ones tho, options are more open.

I haven't really even sketched anything yet, but my basic idea is to use a single layer of DTFB as a fuse 'deck', and put a .5mm blade down the length on either side, oriented vertically. Fixing the blades at front and back, and lightly securing it down the length (keeping the blades from sliding) will allow the two to work together for lateral forces. I also want to put one in the wing, but I haven't sorted that out yet.

flyboa

Elite member
I haven't really even sketched anything yet, but my basic idea is to use a single layer of DTFB as a fuse 'deck', and put a .5mm blade down the length on either side, oriented vertically.
I also used a .5mm blade to mount my hardware on. The HK5320 servos fit inside the Dollar Tree toy sword.

IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG 207258.jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I went to check on those dollar tree sword but my store didn't have any. I'll check another store and see if I have better luck.

flyboa

Elite member
I went to check on those dollar tree sword but my store didn't have any. I'll check another store and see if I have better luck.
I haven't seen them in stock for awhile. I did find these bubble wands that will also work.

I finished this 1m DLG using the small light sword as a fuse. UMX linear servo, 4ch rcvr, and a 1S battery all fit. AUW 120 grams.

IMG_0741.JPG

Attachments

• 109352.jpg
    109352.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
1m DLG

Maiden flight went great. AUW 120 gr. No preset needed.
Maybe

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2017-03-09-09h07m26s117.png
    vlcsnap-2017-03-09-09h07m26s117.png
    345.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

flyboa

Elite member
I found a toy sword at the Goodwill store today.

My new 1.5m with rudder/elevator only was able to find a nice thermal.

IMG_0748 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Abdullahmoh

I am finishing mine and it is sadly about 400g, probably the decreased flight time will be compensated with the higher throw due to greater weight. But before I throw and crash it, I was wondering where exactly is the cog located? I couldn’t find it here anywhere. Thanks