Plz help me in selecting a Transmitter..

Which Transmitter should I consider as a Beginner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ravi

Hello All,

I am new to RC flight, I have been following Flitetest from longtime and I recently scratch build a Tiny Trainer, I and my son like it very much as a chuck glider now I want to advance so I ordered the electronic kit from flitetest. I am stuck in making a choice for my transmitter please help me in making a better choice between

1. Hobbyking Orange Tx
2. Spectrum Dx6i
3. New Spectrum Dx6.

As all of them have there own pros and cons.

I am looking for one which I could use for my future build's (Quad,Plane) and Durable so that I can give it my son later.
I want to go with OrangeRx R615X DSM2/DSMX Compatible 6Ch 2.4GHz Receiver w/CPPM from hobbyking.

Please Advice ,Thank in Advance

Of that list, I'd go with the DX6 (assuming you're referring to the new generation DX6 and not the old original DX6). The transmitter is something that will stay with you throughout your R/C journey, so it makes sense to spend a little more to begin with.

When I started many many years ago I bought a Futaba T6EXA and thought I was getting a good deal. After all, I'd never fly more than 6 planes, right? I soon outgrew it and had to spend more money on a better transmitter.

With the DX6i or Orange Tx you get only 10 model memories vs the 250 in the DX6. Also, the DX6 has telemetry and voice alerts, although I don't know if the telemetry works with third party receivers or only with the actual Spektrum receivers.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
The new DX6 is a pretty slick little thing. The T-6 is actually a pretty awesome little rig as well. So long as you don't need to do anything incredibly fancy, the T-6 should fit your bill.

Ravi

The new DX6 is a pretty slick little thing. The T-6 is actually a pretty awesome little rig as well. So long as you don't need to do anything incredibly fancy, the T-6 should fit your bill.

Thank you very much, I would like to know the range and dependability on T-6? and can you elaborate on Incredible Fancy

Bricks

Master member
Of those three if you are planning on being in this hobby for along time I would go with the DX6 WAY more capabilities that you will appreciate more over time..

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Incredibly fancy meaning some crazy mixes that really only hardcore glider pilots would probably use. So long as you're not doing long range FPV, the T-6 won't every drop the signal. I've never seen/heard of any connection issues with it and it works off of DSM2, so rx's are pretty readily available.

mesolost

The Spektrum DX6i would be ok but if you ever intend to use telemetry then you'll need the DX6 because the DX6i doesn't support telemetry. If your psyco budget minded then the HK Orange TX would be nice but I have no hands on experience with that like I do the Spektrum DX6/i.

If RC flight is more than just a passing fancy get the DX6 or better. If you intend on flying larger planes with more options (warbirds with flaps and bomb drops and retractable gear etc...) your gonna want a DX8 or better. Suck it up and drop the money now on a good transmitter before you regret the limitations of a lessor one and end up double paying for it. Unless you have a child or family member that's gonna follow you into the hobby then you can start with the DX6 now and pass that along when you upgrade later. ^_^

Last edited:

KRAR

I am a big spektrum/horizon hobby guy simply because of their service, so I say if you have the money go for the dx6

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Spektrum does have a good track record and fantastic customer service, but you do pay for it.

ZoomNBoom

If you get hooked on the hobby, you will quickly outgrow any of the one's you listed. Which is fine, but for that reason, I would go with the cheapest one as your first transmitter. As you progress and find out which way you will be going (multirotors, gliders or dlg, 3D planes, warbirds, giant scale, or all of them), you will have a better grasp of what kind of radio you will want.

Alternatively, Id consider a Taranis. To be honest, its capabilities are way overkill for what you need now, and the learning curve may put you off, but its virtually the same price as a DX6 but you will likely never outgrow it. Up to 32 channels, lots and lots of dials and switches, full telemetry, almost unlimited programming and mixing, voice alerts, you name it, it has it.

Bricks

Master member
If you watch RCG for sale DX6`s will come up for sale and at a great price I picked mine up brand new for $149 delivered. I am not saying you will find a new one at this price but $160-$180 is not uncommon and used I have seen them for about $140 delivered. What I like about the DX6 it is very popular and if I decide to move up I can sell it in a heart beat and get my money back.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
RCGroups...it's another RC forum.

On another note, ZoomNBoom has a valid point. Actually 2 valid points...Both outgrowing your first radio and the capabilities of the Taranis. I absolutely love mine but it's probably not the best radio for a brand new flyer. Don't get me wrong, it's very easy to set up a basic model in, but the sheer volume of options available in the menus can be a little overwhelming to someone just learning...well, everything...

If you watch RCG for sale DX6`s will come up for sale and at a great price I picked mine up brand new for $149 delivered.

However, be aware that there are two radios with the name DX6 - the original Spektrum DX6 which has a silver case and only does DSM (not even DSM2), and the new DX6 that has a black case and does DSMX. Just make sure someone's not trying to pull a fast one and sell you the old DX6 or you'll have a very expensive doorstop.

Bricks

Master member
However, be aware that there are two radios with the name DX6 - the original Spektrum DX6 which has a silver case and only does DSM (not even DSM2), and the new DX6 that has a black case and does DSMX. Just make sure someone's not trying to pull a fast one and sell you the old DX6 or you'll have a very expensive doorstop.

Good catch I should never take things for granted when talking about the DX6.

Vimanse

Hey Ravi,I would suggest(if its all possible to have a third option) buy a tarranis because there s not much of a price gap between Dx6i and a tarranis.It has lot of feature and it is definitely a good investment.

Ravi

Hey Ravi,I would suggest(if its all possible to have a third option) buy a tarranis because there s not much of a price gap between Dx6i and a tarranis.It has lot of feature and it is definitely a good investment.

I have couple of questions
1. I think it does not work with DSMX/DSM2.
2. How good is the Range as compared with other brands.
3. I was looking on the net people say the product support is very poor and manual isn't so good.

Thank you.

mesolost

It can work with dsm2/x if you get the orange rx box to install in the back. Range should be full range and is a bit more dependant on the receiver you use. (full range vs park flyer) The taranis is an open source setup and you'll find a lot more support from the community than you would the company itself because there are so many mods out there for it. This is just the info I've gathered from my brief look into getting myself a taranis as a replacement for my DX6i.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, I'd like the info too. ^_^

ZoomNBoom

I have couple of questions
1. I think it does not work with DSMX/DSM2..

Generally, you wouldnt want it to. The only exception is some bind and fly DSM compatible planes. For those,
Taranis has a module bay, where you can plug a DSMX module to bind it to DSM receivers. It is another ~$30 or so.
BTW, you can also plug in modules for long range UHF or other protocols/brands should you ever want to. "never obsolete" could be its motto.

2. How good is the Range as compared with other brands.

Link reliability is among the very best. And with best I mean Futaba as in my opinion, DSM2 is absolute garbage and DSMX still inferior to both futaba and frsky. Actual range depends on so many factors, it doesnt mean much to give numbers, but generally ~1.5 Km is to be expected. Crucially though, just about all frsky receivers have telemetry, so you will have (voice) warnings if signal strength becomes low or critical. Thats more valuable to me than a few extra 100m, even though you get those too ;).

3. I was looking on the net people say the product support is very poor and manual isn't so good.

As mentioned above, support is mostly from the opentx community. Id say its pretty good, though not as standard or rigid as you would have with regular brands and manuals. But have a look here for instance:
http://open-txu.org/

Now Opentx still evolves, that makes it hard to make the manuals keep pace. But for basic instructions, which means just about anything you even could do with a DX6, you will have no problems finding plenty of accurate instructions, tutorials, templates, downloads and generally, folk willing to help.

That doesnt mean you wont have a learning curve ahead of you, because you will, but if you're willing to learn, the reward is huge.

Ravi

Thank you mesolost and Zoomandboom,

The information you provided is very useful and I made up my mind to try Taranis x9d+, What would be the Max I can spend on the Radio, I saw on HK it is out of stock, any other reliable website you can suggest plz.