RCExplorer.se Baby Tricopter Kit Build Log

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Don't want to take the credit for all the hard work the TriFlight, dRonin, and many many others are doing. Just fortunate to have the right gear to help the community test. If it weren't for David's Baby Tri, baby PDB, F3FC, @mlyle @jehlein @lauka and countless others working on the hardware and software, I wouldn't be having all this fun!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FYI... The dRonin on F3Fc thread is over on RCExplorer.se. https://rcexplorer.se/forums/topic/taranis-lua-script/ The thread started out as a Taranis script question, but morphed and was renamed into "Dronin on Rcexplorer F3FC integrated board". I asked if it worked on the non-integrated F3FC and got support for the standalone F3FC too. Weather is unseasonably warm this week. Hoping for some outdoor time to get a few packs in to really give it a shake down.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Quite warm for January and got out a bit in a t-shirt today for an in-flight tail tune and then a quick rip around the soccer fields down the road.

Cheers!
LitterBug

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Interesting. So, is triflight looking better on dRonin vs cleanflight? I see that ikaino seems to have not been updating his fork lately. I'm finishing up a F3FC RCExplorer build and flashed Triflight 0.5 but haven't tuned/flown it yet. Actually realized too late the 3D printed front spacer I had isn't compatible with the F3FC/PDB integrated board. Ordered a replacement injection molded version from David, so that'll complete the build once it gets here. In the meantime, I'm considering different software options (great to have the options!)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not bad LB looks a bit more stable then the last time I peaked in here. How much effort was put into tuning? Was it just a quick run thru with an auto tune or did you start with known parameters you have already flown on that lil beastie?

I too was able to get in some flight time this week end with my new Taranis and X4r installed in the Alien. I have some things I want to discuss and will be doing a new thread soon. Gl with the progress on this mate glad you are enjoying yourself.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
@makattack,
The cleanflight version of TriFlight is stalled out due to some really bad CleanFlight issues that started in 1.14. There were performance problems that caused the CPU to go to 100%, and issues with the filtering that amplified rather than filtering noise out, and issues with the autoleveling routines. It was so bad, my motors were about cooked in less than 30 seconds of flight from the oscillations. There has been some talk of switching to BetaFlight based rather than CleanFlight. Watching that thread as I was beta testing TriFlight 0.6 too.

Hard to give an objective comparison between CleanFlight and dRonin versions since it's been so long since flying the Cleanflight version. But my overall impression is that the autotune in dRonin had the PIDs locked in really good compared to what I had been flying previously. There is still the typical tricopter tail waggle in places, but it did not seem bad at all when I was in the goggles. I notice it in places when looking at the DVR of the FPV video. I need to check to see if dRonin uses expo on the throttle by default. Seems like everything I run it on takes more throttle to get the same punch.
EDIT: Just checked... Default throttle curve was only going to 90%.

@PsyBorg,
This was 100% autotuned PIDs and Tailtune. I have been very impressed with the autotune routines that dRonin uses on every build I have done. LOCKED-IN with 0 effort. You can see it in the roll spins from the video. Crisp stop at the ends with no bounce. This was literally the first flight I made with it after getting a successful set of PID and Tail autotunes. I should have done some punch outs and throttle cuts to see how well it handled the torque yaw compensation. Thinking about upgrading the motors from 2000kv to something krazeeee.....

Was great to get outside, because flying in the Dome is very limiting on how much power can be used. Managed to get 10+ minutes in the air with my AWK210 in the dome and normally the battery is run down after 3-4 minutes. LOL

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: Just went back and looked at some of my previous BabyTri videos. Definitely the best it has flown. There were some twitches before that are completely gone. Going to bump up to 2450kv from the 2100kv motors, and already fixed the linear throttle curve to go all the way to 100%. Baby is gonna be a whole lot meaner next time he goes out! :)

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sweet. May I suggest adding a touch more expo specially if going to hotter motors. We will have you running gates in no time now hehe. looking forward to the next round of tests on video.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sweet. May I suggest adding a touch more expo specially if going to hotter motors. We will have you running gates in no time now hehe. looking forward to the next round of tests on video.

Can do 5 a point curve on the throttle.... keep it tame to mid-throttle, then gonzo above. That what you are thinking PsyBorg? Also dialed uptilt back into the camera. Had it set really low for flying slow in the dome.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nope your throttle management is fine and the tri responds nicely. I meant to soften up the rolls and pitch so I could get you to fly closer to the ground to refine some of the movement a touch. I wanna see ya cutting grass at full throttle.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got another Baby-Tri kit to throw the bigger motors on. Didn't want down time on my only running Tri. Good to have a backup in case I get carried away playing proximity chicken with obstacles too. Wanted to try a different servo in addition to the stronger motors, but when the kit came, I found that the Spline counts are different for this other servo. Fortunately it has a smaller shaft so going to try my hand at designing a 3D printed spline adapter. If that doesn't work out, just order order another RCE servo and use this one on the trifecta. (that one got exploded on it's last impact)

I've been watching the videos @lauka posted on progress porting TriFlight to a BetaFlight base. VERY impressive. Almost no tail waggle at all except under extreme prop-wash.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seek help mate you are wayyy to invested into building. :p Me thinks you may have an addiction. How many tri's you have now 4 - 5? Your build room must look more like a consignment shop by now hehee.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Seek help mate you are wayyy to invested into building. :p Me thinks you may have an addiction. How many tri's you have now 4 - 5? Your build room must look more like a consignment shop by now hehee.

PB,
I have the magical number 3. "Triple" Tris. Just the right amount! Two Baby Tricopters and the Trifecta. Still considering some sort of Flat-Stanley inspired traveling Tri with DB's Junk powered TriFecta. Have thought about designing, 3D printing, and building a pico brushless tri with some 1306 motors.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: FWIW, I am in a Freeze. No new builds on stuff I don't already have.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh cool sorta like a gremlin tri copter. Will be interesting to see what you come up with after all the experience you have had recently with the tri's as well as all the FC testing you have been doing. Poke me with a stick when you start that Ill keep track and cheer ya on.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Kinda mixup the protected prop quads I have and the baby tri.... Proximity, somewhat indoorish.....

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Started mocking up this BabyTri2 build tonight. I have come to the realization that the servo on hand will not work not only due to spline issues, but the bolt size used for the tail motor pivot. Should be able to get it Baby2 95% done before delivery of another BMS-210DMH servo. This servo will instead go into the Trifecta rebuild.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Doing initial POWER wiring and config on Baby Tricopter #2 today. Checked for proper rotation before shrink wrapping and softmounting the ESCs to the frame.

BabyTricopterNumber2.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Interesting solution to the tightness of the build for ESC 1! :)

I'm using a frame with a shorter tail and put my ESC under the boom. It's a pretty small build area for sure but I do love how tricopters fly. :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Interesting solution to the tightness of the build for ESC 1! :)

I'm using a frame with a shorter tail and put my ESC under the boom. It's a pretty small build area for sure but I do love how tricopters fly. :)

Yeah, it's a balancing act to get ESC1 mounted. Gotta leave slack for the servo movement too. Have to leave extra room since I don't have the right servo on hand. On Baby 1, I mounted it parallel to the tail boom and soldered the wires vertically coming off it.

TailESC.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug